Author Topic: Ozmillsy's KillerDAC  (Read 87210 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Ozmillsy's KillerDAC
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
well, I'm sure we'd be further down the road,  if a recent visitor didnt pass on the flu !     :o  ;D

all good things take time.    I was there for about 3 hours yesterday. We made some good progress.  The time just flew by, and before I knew it, the missus was on the phone giving me the hurry up.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

crazikid

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
very nice oz... i like the idea of the rectifier standing.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 07:50:50 PM »
It lives !!   :D    On my way up for the first listen.    It's not in final configuration.   Plan is to run it in, then tune.

tuyen

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
YES! Very nice and congrats!

What rectifier is that. Looks like a Type 50 tube!??

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
YES! Very nice and congrats!

What rectifier is that. Looks like a Type 50 tube!??

i think its a mesh plate worth about $800 to $1000 type 80 he hardly puts it on its for show he likes looking at it glow
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:59:02 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 11:15:52 PM »
It lives !!   :D    On my way up for the first listen.    It's not in final configuration.   Plan is to run it in, then tune.
Its alive, frankenmillsys DAC lives, breathes, and is playing music. After run in, it is then time for duelunds, new chip TDA1541 S2, rectifier output valves, and redo the wiring, and many more mods.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:04:14 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »
The case is big and heavy now that it's loaded.  It's a beefy mutha !

It wont normally sit it in that spot, just until the Lightspeed comes back it will be sitting near my ME25.

Those big heat sinks are actually in use.   On 1 side we've got 2 resistors up against the heat sink, to dissipate some heat.  :)

I dont mind the look of this case from vt4c.   8)

A number of temporary parts in use at the moment (using diff chokes, output caps, etc), mainly waiting for the deulands to arrive before orchestrating the final combination/sound.

Hasnt been switched on (at home), as soon as I walked in the door last night the missus had things for me to do.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:14:43 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
Huh...I see no tubes!  :D

Great job oz, would love to hear it if possible.

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 07:25:39 AM »
Huh...I see no tubes!  :D

I'd actually like to swap the top with some perspex.   That would be cool.

Great job oz, would love to hear it if possible.

Any time you're in the area, you're welcome to pop over for a cuppa.   

When it's finalised I'll have a coming out party for this killer. Which reminds me, I've really gotta get my cdp over to DigitalDan,  as the system wont be finalised until the transport is in the right condition.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:27:48 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »
Thanks for the invite, I won't miss the chance to hear your SGR with the KD! Should be awesome  :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

crazikid

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
very nice setup..

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »
The case is big and heavy now that it's loaded.  It's a beefy mutha !

Those big heat sinks are actually in use.   On 1 side we've got 2 resistors up against the heat sink, to dissipate some heat.  :)

I dont mind the look of this case from vt4c.   8) 

Hi Oz, mate I think the kdac looks awesome in that case, and the idea of the acrylic lid is IMO excellent.

Drizt

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
Looks the goods in that case ozmillsy.  May it bring you much joy.

tuyen

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
Looks the business oz!  Well done my friend!

The power rect tube emits a substantial amount of heat I find. Will this be of a concern with the limited ventilation holes on the lid?   I dunno if it is anything to worry about, just was thinking aloud :)

Best

Tuyen

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 07:43:35 AM »
The power rect tube emits a substantial amount of heat I find. Will this be of a concern with the limited ventilation holes on the lid?   I dunno if it is anything to worry about, just was thinking aloud :)
The rectifier is directly underneath the vents on the left side,  you can see it glowing through the vents.  I think it should be right.   I'll keep an eye on it though.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
Fuzzy pic of the rectifier.   There is about 1cm gap (maybe slightly less) between the top of *this* rectifier and the lid.   I'm hoping the heat from the tube will simply rise straight up through the vents.....

Been on for about 3 hours so far this morning, I just opened the lid and it doesnt seem warm inside.

Sound really effing good !!   Cant wait to get the duelands in.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
me and tuyen will visit next year oz it will be tuned by then i hope
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Greg Erskine

• Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
When it's finalised I'll have a coming out party for this killer. Which reminds me, I've really gotta get my cdp over to DigitalDan,  as the system wont be finalised until the transport is in the right condition.

Hi ozmillsy,

Count me in the next time you have a few people over. I have been following with interest and would love to hear a KillerDAC. I should organise to have enough time to drop in at Steve's this time.

regards

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »
Count me in the next time you have a few people over. I have been following with interest and would love to hear a KillerDAC. I should organise to have enough time to drop in at Steve's this time.

No worries Greg. 

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »
Steven came over last night,  and we played with caps.    The 400V Duelands havent arrived yet,  so we're experimenting with some other ones.    It has had some auricaps in it,  and we changed them with Obligattos.   It was a positive change, everything just sound more "together" .  

Then we tried some older (2006) AudioNote caps, which I believe are paper in oil.  They're heavy buggers.  These were in another league, they sounded awesome on this system.  They added fluidity and detail at the same time.  

The Dac is now running into the battery powered Lightspeed, and the Lightspeed is hooked up to a buffer,  to reduce the output impedance.     I have to say, matching impedances really makes a big difference to my ears.   Adding the buffer into the chain, brings the impedance down that is feeding the amps to 33ohms.    The bass has improved out of sight, it's full and solid, and the midbass has weight - that was lost when running without the buffer.    Is it the buffer colouring the sound, or is it better impedance matching, that is causing the change?    I believe it is more likely the latter, but probably a combination of both.      I'm interested to fit a volume pot in the OzKiller, and compare it to the Lightspeed/buffer combo.  

An internal VC would be alot simpler, with potentially less compromises?  May do that in time, but it's low on the priority list.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:51:16 AM by ozmillsy »