Author Topic: resistors  (Read 40061 times)

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
Re: resistors
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »
Spot on your first guess....we were amazed that there was placed a resistor  :o
The dac came in and within an hour that resistor was out... ;)

I must admit that my audiobuddy went in a search and found out, I am not
in the same technical league  8)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »
OK so in the I to V position, hmmm so what converted the I to V once the resistors were removed?
Or did you replace them with different resistors or transformers?
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 03:49:38 AM »
I had the standard copperwinded interstages on that spot which I recently replaced (after 25 years ;D) with silver...ohhh man I should have done this much sooner.

Before I talk rubbish I will ask my audiobuddy the details....he made his move while I was putting the kettle on......eternally greatful  8)

For some reason I still believe we did not replace it. I have Vishays on the RCAs
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:01:44 AM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline audiophool

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
Tech question WRT resistors, specifically the common "cement brick" type wirewounds.
Am I right in suspecting these of having inductance that might be a cause of phase shift in a circuit and that it might be beneficial to replace them with purportedly non-inductive types such as Mills ?
Particularly where there are a number effectively in series.

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
Is it not so that all reistors cause phase shift...
I know people who prefer the cement sometimes "preferred by listening"....so...

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
Is it not so that all reistors cause phase shift...
I know people who prefer the cement sometimes "preferred by listening"....so...
nothing wrong with cement in some places
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »
Yeah like cracks in the floor ha ha. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
The flame proof cement resistors are usually deployed in speaker crossovers and bypasses on oputput stages, there are however much better resistors out there so don't bother with them unless cash strapped.
;D
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
The flame proof cement resistors are usually deployed in speaker crossovers and bypasses on oputput stages, there are however much better resistors out there so don't bother with them unless cash strapped.
;D
Hey they are my bias resistors in my amp work very good in that position
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 10:47:47 PM »
V  ;D

You would be surprised how often you find them in state-of-the-art speakers next to the speakers supplied with Duelunds. I kid you not.

As always the proof is in the listening... ;)

Here is one filter with them in...the Avalon Opus Cermique...not a bad speaker...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:52:36 PM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »
 :D :D Argh ha, yes indeed most speaker manufactures use them and guess why..........they are CHEAP  :o and don't burn out when some idiot bedroom DJ decides to overdo the volume.  Come on chaps we have not come this far to kid ourselves have we?  ::) The metal (ali) shrouded resistors are better and come in sizes up to 200w, the cement ones petter out at around 8 - 10 watts, still want to use them, they are not even wound non inductively Mario so HF is questionable?
V

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »
I have to disagree, you can easily see that the manufacturer especially Neil Patell uses very good (expensive) materials in the same circuit...

Do you not agree that in the end your ears have to be the judge not
your eyes nor the technical specs... ;)

I myself sometimes exchange the so called "proven" Hi-Fi parts for a simple run-of-the-mill with surprising results...

I do not want to argue about your alternative resistor since I do not know that one... ;)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
Hey no worries Erik. ;D
Use whay ever you want.  The circuit as a whole is the important thing and sympathetic resonaces and filtration to brew the final outcome is what is the key point.  I am not 'blindly led' when it comes to selection of componets by price tag or reputation but by judging these things with my own ears and multiple systems.  Having read others experiances with various components it does aid in coming to a better outcome and the Duelands caps are a good example.  I still like Vishay slit foil resistors whereas others will poo poo them claiming tantalums are the only one worth having.  Horses for courses.  The ali clad resistors are easier to mount and can handle more power and they are still flame proof; they also have better connectors which are far more robust than stray wires which fracture relatively easily.  Run of the mill parts are just that, you having deployed Ag output transformers and Ag Duelands are the LAST person I'd expect to support every day built down to a nickle rubbish parts. :o :o :o :o :o :o
V

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
Hi only yesterday I again received proof of that... :D
I swapped a Tango choke for a Pameko in a tube rect circ....ohhhhh what music...........................................came from the Pameko.

for the moment the el cheapo stays in  :D

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »
Since when were Parmeko considered cheap?
The are very well constructed transformers built way better than the average of recent times.  I guess they do not have the pimp prices of the Tango jobbies (yet) but the one's I own are really well built.
I will post some pictures when I get the chance to show others what I mean.
V

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 02:11:50 AM »
Like this? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230742949717

Very well built indeed, good price too (for the seller), not cheap for sure  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:14:14 AM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
Since when were Parmeko considered cheap?
The are very well constructed transformers built way better than the average of recent times.  I guess they do not have the pimp prices of the Tango jobbies (yet) but the one's I own are really well built.
I will post some pictures when I get the chance to show others what I mean.
V

Hi,

Sorry I did not explain proper...the el cheapo term came from sheer happiness once in a blindtest me and my buddy picked the Parmeko.

I did not mean cheap as in poor built, but here in Holland I can get the 5H Parmeko choke for 20 euro the Tango choke at 200 that is what I mean.....

For me it was a clear winner against...Tango and Audionote...so it stays  8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:39:53 AM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
20 Euros is a BARGAIN price for a vintage Parmeko, they are constructed like no other, particualy the Neptune range as Junty illustrated.  I was expecting you to say the Tango's to be a lot more expensive.  This kind of Parmeko chokes are considerably more expensive here in Australia and I would be stocking up at just 20 Euros each.  Nice find and thanks for sharing your view that they exceeded the performance of the highly regarded Tango's. 

Just one question, was the resistance and current rating the same for both units and was the mH the same?
Thanks Erik
V

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Erik,  we'll pay you 20% commission, if you'll export them to us.   8).

I'm serious.    :D
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
Erik,  we'll pay you 20% commission, if you'll export them to us.   8).

I'm serious.    :D

Seconded  ;D
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline PET-240

• Liked: 0
  • looks alot like hard work.....
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
Thirdeded.

Word of the day.