Author Topic: Mike Lenehans Evaluation Of John Kenny I2S Hiface  (Read 15400 times)

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
Re: Mike Lenehans Evaluation Of John Kenny I2S Hiface
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
- gives me the ability to access all my music by just typing in the name of a track, artist, album
- my mobile phone can be used as a full remote control with album details & covers + lyrics + custom playlists + more (although I can already vision some 'oldies' finding it even more frustrating.. modern touchscreen mobile phones and some Generation X don't mix!!)  ;D
- has saved be so much space in the room with no more hundreds of CDs laying everywhere, including not needing to worry about CDs getting scratched/damaged (either by heat/sunlight/accidentally stepping on the CD) :'(
Those are the same reasons for me also..

Future machine will have a BIOS that boots up quickly (unlike the ones now that take 5-10s), add a SSD and run Linux (or Windows) it's likely a PC will be boot up as quick as a CD player... SSD is sorta like RAM, it has higher latency but should be fast enough...

A PC solution may be viable 2 years from now I think.. As long as folks can find a way to improve playback.. Damn interested in this card now (but I don't have a DAC)... My Essense STX atm is just not working at all.....

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
Well,  a stock cd95/4 is a very different beast to a hot-rodded unit running i2s - it really is chalk and cheese I've found.  So what we need to do is compare  cd94-i2s out to killer,  to jk-hiface-i2s out to killer.    Any other comparison is largely meaningless. I have a music-pc fully loaded with all my cd's ripped to flac, ready to go.   So, I've got everything in place to perform the comparo,   just need 1 of these jk's to do it. I'd certainly love to have the convenience of my music pc,  with the performance of a hotrodded cd94.  That would be sweet !   ;D

Hopefully that can be achieved.  But it was a hot-rodded cd94 we did the evaluation against - just not the I2s version.  And the Wadia is even better again.  Anyway you are correct - 'So what we need to do is compare  cd94-i2s out to killer,  to jk-hiface-i2s out to killer.    Any other comparison is largely meaningless.'.  I eagerly await your results.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
Well,  a stock cd95/4 is a very different beast to a hot-rodded unit running i2s - it really is chalk and cheese I've found.  So what we need to do is compare  cd94-i2s out to killer,  to jk-hiface-i2s out to killer.    Any other comparison is largely meaningless. I have a music-pc fully loaded with all my cd's ripped to flac, ready to go.   So, I've got everything in place to perform the comparo,   just need 1 of these jk's to do it. I'd certainly love to have the convenience of my music pc,  with the performance of a hotrodded cd94.  That would be sweet !   ;D

Hopefully that can be achieved.  But it was a hot-rodded cd94 we did the evaluation against - just not the I2s version.  And the Wadia is even better again.  Anyway you are correct - 'So what we need to do is compare  cd94-i2s out to killer,  to jk-hiface-i2s out to killer.    Any other comparison is largely meaningless.'.  I eagerly await your results.

Thanks
Bill
how is mikes cd94b hot rodded?
stock trichord clock,stock trichord clock wiring no battery power supply for the clock,standard female rca plug for spdif etc
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
how is mikes cd94b hot rodded? stock trichord clock,stock trichord clock wiring no battery power supply for the clock,standard female rca plug for spdif etc

Mike tells me it is hot rodded and I believe him.  Exactly how it is I don't know.  You know Mike as well as I do - why don't you ask him?

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
how is mikes cd94b hot rodded? stock trichord clock,stock trichord clock wiring no battery power supply for the clock,standard female rca plug for spdif etc

Mike tells me it is hot rodded and I believe him.  Exactly how it is I don't know.  You know Mike as well as I do - why don't you ask him?

Thanks
Bill
will do bill and post it on the kd forum what mike done to his cd95
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
Got a jkeny usb i2s module coming. So hopefully soon WA locals who are interested, can have the chance to check it out :)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:15:13 PM by tuyen »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »
Got a jkeny usb i2s module coming. So hopefully soon WA locals who are interested, can have the chance to check it out :)

count me in tuyen  death match coming to wa

crazikid

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 07:12:12 AM »
tuyen.. any updates on the JK i2s hiface?