Author Topic: 7.5" legacy reels  (Read 19416 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: 7.5" legacy reels
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »
The next tape was a real lucky dip.  I had no idea what I was getting.   I had bought a couple of tapes off an Ebay seller, and whacked a couple more in the order to make shipping somewhat more palatable.    I like spanish guitar, so, why not.

When I received it,  I balked at it big time (verging on spewing). The box looked like it had been kicked around from pillar to post, for years.  The end of the tape was brittle and fragile, flaking away easily.  I wondered if I should even attempt to play it??  

But,,,, to my amazement, it sounded perfectly fine.   Maybe slightly more hiss than normal, but the music,,,,,,   if you like flamenco guitar,  what a tape!

Sabicas - Guitars of Passion

So, I go trawling the net to find out more.   This title does not rate a mention anywhere.   I found a listing on Amazon, with zero info.  Look,,,,
http://www.amazon.com/Sabicas-Guitars-Passion-Cuban-Music/dp/B001TJZM7W/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393240737&sr=1-2&keywords=sabicas+passion

This title is not listed in the discography for Sabicas.   Interesting read though, he was a prodigy,,,,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabicas

Maybe this title was never considered his best,  maybe it just dithered away in among a whole bunch of other Sabicas albums?    I dunno, this is the first Sabicas album I have listened to, and it blew me away, taking me to another place.    What speed and control, just unbelievable.  

In honour of Sabicas,  I give you a short track in full off this little known album (right-click, save-as): Click- sample.wav

Now,,,, to name and shame a former owner.    Mr Ron Kerner.    What tool writes his name,  not only on the box,  but also on the tape label itself ?!?!   Shame, shame, shame,,,,,, you are an !diot Ron !!!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:47:01 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
thanks again Oz.

I can really hear the unaltered purity in these recordings, even through my computer with some decent headphones.

Makes me wonder, do you find they lose much in quality when you replay these ripped file through your system?

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
Yes,   these old 7.5ips tapes definitely sound better directly from the tape machine.    The order of sonic quality is,,,,,

1)   4track 7.5ips tape played native from tape machine into pre or power
2)   Played from dub tape   (record 4track 7.5ips tape to 2track 15ips tape,   then use the latter for regular playback)
3)   Played from CD   (record 4track 7.5ips tape to Korg(dsd) and then convert to 16bit)
4)   Played from DSD dac   (record 4track 7.5ips tape to Korg(dsd) and then play native DSD files)

The reason why #3 sounds better than #4  is my 16bit hardware sh!ts all over my DSD hardware, which is a recurring theme with various dac comparisons we have done.    Hi-res software doesn't translate to better sound,  it is all hardware dependent (in my opinion).

The Getz Gilberto tape sounds so good,  I'm scared to play it.   So will be using a dub tape.    But I don't do that for most 7.5ips tapes,  as the blank tapes are so expensive, I record and play them digitally for everyday playback. 

Bottom line, I don't feel robbed listening to the digital files,  they still sound good on the Killerdac (the above is just different degrees of goodness   :D ).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:09:03 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
I found the same thing, the tape to digital then through the killer dac sounds great, just shows that digital if you feed it great material, cuts it.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »
Cheers oz.   That's good to know!

I would say I have some similar experience with a few vinyl rips I've downloaded compared to the cd rips as well.

Tis a real pity most of the modern produced music I really enjoy is compressed to hell. lol

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
I would say I have some similar experience with a few vinyl rips I've downloaded compared to the cd rips as well.

Tis a real pity most of the modern produced music I really enjoy is compressed to hell. lol
Yeah [sighs], and you know how passionate I am on the subject of compressed music.    You should hear my vinyl rips of Fever Ray or Angus & Julia Stone,  compared to their CD releases.   Chalk and cheese.   

But, that's a completely different topic.      These old tapes are not as dynamic as the Yarlung 15ips master tapes.   Yarlung tapes are just on another planet.    But the 7.5ips tapes can and do sound nice, when they are in good condition.   I also find the tape hiss to be far more noticeable listening on headphones.   

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
Now,,,, to name and shame a former owner.    Mr Ron Kerner.    What tool writes his name,  not only on the box,  but also on the tape label itself ?!?!   Shame, shame, shame,,,,,, you are an !diot Ron !!!
[/font]

Actually I can see a good reason for this if he is active in any GTG's as at the end of the night trying to locate all your CD's / Tapes, whatever is not an easy task!

A more discrete label would probably be in keeping but who ever buys music with a mind to selling it in the first place????  The tapes were probably part of a deceased estate sale........................who know's.

Anyway I am very pleased that the great recordings have found their way into the hands of a forum member, least this way we know they will not be consigned to the dumpster like so many 'old technologies' have been.

Thumbs up Oz[/font]
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
Nah,   it's sacriledge to write your name all over it in big black marker.    Didn't they have post-it notes back in the 50's ?     haha   :P  [jk]

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:25 PM »
You should hear my vinyl rips of Fever Ray or Angus & Julia Stone,  compared to their CD releases.   Chalk and cheese.   

Hi Oz,

Where did you get the vinyl rip of Angus & Julia Stone? I would like to get them if possible.

Thanks,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
Where did you get the vinyl rip of Angus & Julia Stone? I would like to get them if possible.
I ripped it myself.  A very kind SNA member (whatmore) loaned me his very rare LP of "Down the Way" and I recorded it with my Korg, then compared it to my CD.   Dramatically different.   PM me.

I don't trust vinyl rips from random internet sources.   I only trust my own, and people I know.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »
Oz,
have you got enough dropbox room to upload some of your tape rips?
Please don't flac them. DSD proffered or WAV is good good good.
We should swap some vinyl rips. I have quite a catalogue coming along.

Offline gamve

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
I ripped it myself.  A very kind SNA member (whatmore) loaned me his very rare LP of "Down the Way" and I recorded it with my Korg, then compared it to my CD.   Dramatically different.   PM me.

I don't trust vinyl rips from random internet sources.   I only trust my own, and people I know.

Oz's rip of "Down the Way" sounds very good. Ask him nicely and he may make you one  :D
Oz, make sure you bring some sample CD's to Canberra GTG.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »
We should swap some vinyl rips. I have quite a catalogue coming along.
Always happy to trade and share our hard work.  Your vinyl rips are great.  Lets chat over email.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 11:52:37 PM »

PM sent  :)

That album is very good! I really like it such as I was thinking about getting a TT then hunt for the vinyl, long shot I know but that particular album is really worth the effort.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
Thought it best to split out the conversation into a new thread.   It's a good topic to discuss, and thought it deserved it's own thread.

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,2593.0.html

Offline soundfanz

• Liked: 6
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »
This album sounds excellent on 7 1/2 ips tape. I also have it on vinyl (Chess first pressing) and it's hard to split them.
The vinyl does sound a little fuller, but that may be down to my turntable running through my tubed phono pre amp, and the reel passing through a passive switch box attached to my mono blocks.

Another excellent 7 1/2 ips reel is this one:

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
Nice, yes its so system dependent, that will most likely change as you improve your tape output. Our own Paul baker, makes a great all valve tape output, with valve rectifier, (the same as I use) its not expensive, money is not his motivation. Then you will notice a big change for the better via the tape.

Offline gamve

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 11:22:28 PM »
This album sounds excellent on 7 1/2 ips tape. I also have it on vinyl (Chess first pressing) and it's hard to split them.
The vinyl does sound a little fuller, but that may be down to my turntable running through my tubed phono pre amp, and the reel passing through a passive switch box attached to my mono blocks.

Another excellent 7 1/2 ips reel is this one:

Welcome Chris,
Nice to see you here. Now get reading  ;D
Cheers
Graham

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye out for them.  Welcome. :)

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
Hi guys

Oz thanks for this thread, it's great.

Is anyone bringing an R2R machine to the GTG?

Would love to hear some of these.

Cheers