Author Topic: DC blocking on mains supply  (Read 20468 times)

Offline guru

• Liked: 21
Re: DC blocking on mains supply
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
The certification process has begun and probably won't finish before xmas. We had samples at the show in Melbourne and submitted them to the certifiers for comment when we were down there. The only things we had to change was the colours of the wiring from red/black to brown/blue, [which proved difficult to do actually for a non China sourced high quality cable], add 2 cable ties and earth tag the end plates even though they were earthed when the chassis is complete and sealed. We had the pcb manufactured in Queanbeyan, double sided to 45 micron plating thickness each side.
The price is $300 for a single outlet and $470 for a double outlet which still has an individual module per outlet.
They will comfortably do up to 1kva transformer draw with a ripple current rating of 4.86 amps.
We have no qualms selling them as they are the same as the versions for certification in everyway.
Cheers.

Offline Rob181

• Liked: 14
  • Trust Your Instincts
DC blocking on mains supply
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 10:17:55 PM »
I have one...it is staying...

Do what I did & roll the dice...you spend MUCH MORE on a cable without a second thought yet want an SPE to make it then send it to you to try...in the hope that you may buy it...

Please...we are not talking "sheep stations" here...

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Rob. $300 or even $470 is puny compared to what people spend on cables. And based on what guru describes, I am convinced that the build quality is great. I will be in touch with guru soon to see if I could get my hands on this excellent devise, oh man...it's been a long time coming...
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 06:47:37 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Rob. $300 or even $470 is puny compared to what people spend on cables. And based on what guru describes, I am convinced that the build quality is great. I will be in touch with guru soon to see if I could get my hands on this excellent devise, oh man...it's been a long time coming...

I think it pays to keep an open mind, certainly its a product worth trying. Its great that this product is being developed.

Offline guru

• Liked: 21
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
It pays to remember I started on this to try and solve a customer complaint about a transformer running hot and nothing to do with improving sound. I made a very basic arrangement to try and it worked, he went from being very pissed off to upgrading his entire system. I decided to make a better version and so it continues.
 I never tried to hide where the idea came from and all we are doing is making it legal to retail without putting us and our business in a position of liability and given the nature of our society today, I don't want to loose our house over a bit of kit.
 We overbuild them but that's just me. I offered them for trial to a couple of guys on here but never heard from them again.
 We intend to retail them in aus and asia and the electronic builder/enthusiast market will just go build their own but the person who has no such skills with a solar system sitting on his roof or his neighbours will definitely see and hear a benefit.
Cheers, g.
if you want some images of how they look now, just send me a pm with an email address and I will send them through.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
Hey Guru,  apologies i never got back to you, your location turned out to be awkward at the time.

I'd still like to give it a try. Will send you a PM.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »
Guys, this DC blocker is freakin' A W E S O M E!!!  :o

More in-depth comment to follow....I plan to take this blocker to the mountains...  ;)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »
More in-depth comment to follow....I plan to take this blocker to the mountains...  ;)
If the timing works, give it a few weeks Will.    The new place has solar panels, apparently that is 1 use case where this makes a big difference.

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »
Guys, this DC blocker is freakin' A W E S O M E!!!  :o

Be interested in your findings William, I have though for a long time DC can potentially be a problem. 

Paul

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
The new place has solar panels, apparently that is 1 use case where this makes a big difference.
Yes, that's what I was informed. However, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to what it does even there's no solar panels around (PS: switch mode power supply can introduce DC in the mains too).

Be interested in your findings William, I have though for a long time DC can potentially be a problem. 

Paul
Well Paul, I can say without a doubt now that DC is indeed a problem. I am using the blocker for my amp only but I'm starting to consider getting another one (or two) for my DAC and preamp. Yes, it is THAT good  :)

Please note, for anyone who's trying to save a little bit of money like me - bloody accountant that I am  :-[, I tried this single outlet DC blocker connected to all my device such as DAC, pre and amp at the same time using a power board. The result was not as great as using it for a single device only and in my system the power amp benefited the most.

I know that guru also offers two outlet DC blocker so it is something that I am considering, although aesthetically I like the single outlet better due to its small form. Rest assured, build quality and component selections are the same for both options and they are all excellent.

I am still running it in for a few days more before taking it to the Buddah's. I'm curious to hear what it does to his system  8)

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 03:13:07 PM »
Yes, that's what I was informed. However, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to what it does even there's no solar panels around (PS: switch mode power supply can introduce DC in the mains too).
Well Paul, I can say without a doubt now that DC is indeed a problem. I am using the blocker for my amp only but I'm starting to consider getting another one (or two) for my DAC and preamp. Yes, it is THAT good  :)

Please note, for anyone who's trying to save a little bit of money like me - bloody accountant that I am  :-[, I tried this single outlet DC blocker connected to all my device such as DAC, pre and amp at the same time using a power board. The result was not as great as using it for a single device only and in my system the power amp benefited the most.

I know that guru also offers two outlet DC blocker so it is something that I am considering, although aesthetically I like the single outlet better due to its small form. Rest assured, build quality and component selections are the same for both options and they are all excellent.

I am still running it in for a few days more before taking it to the Buddah's. I'm curious to hear what it does to his system  8)

I experienced the same effect with Nathan Thor power conditioner and also my isolation transformers. Preferred the result when it feeds one device.
With Buddhas system we have heard how much it may respond to power cables, so that may effect the result.  Anyhow be interesting to find out what it does.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
It will be interesting, I the last few months I have only changed just a few valves in this system, the results are just excellent..... one has been 1957 E88CC pinched waste D getter SQ valves. This system is at the end of the road of what's achievable with CD.  It does sit on a knifes edge, any change in these later years of its development is now nearly always downhill,  so what ever results I get here, don't really mean much with others. But it will be fun.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:13:50 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
I've been reading about SMPS's, and the main concern about them was RF hash noise they fed back onto the mains,  which is different to DC.   Not that i am an expert, happy to hear from someone who knows more. Your experience suggests the dac/pre is affecting the amp, so there could be more to it.

Have my sleeves rolled up packing and moving over the next week,  so will probably miss you this time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:27:18 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
I've been reading about SMPS's, and the main concern about them was RF hash noise they fed back onto the mains,  which is different to DC.   Not that i am an expert, happy to hear from someone who knows more. Your experience suggests the dac/pre is affecting the amp, so there could be more to it.

Have my sleeves rolled up packing and moving over the next week,  so will probably miss you this time.

Hi Andrew, you're probably right, I haven't done a lot of research about SMPS, I'm just not interested in that topic but considering it affects the mains, then I'll probably have to be more diligent.