Author Topic: Falls Audio Owners Thread  (Read 26113 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Falls Audio Owners Thread
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
I can't wait any longer.

Our own Paul Baker deserves more recognition for what he does. I have listened to many products from the so called hi-end Australian manufacturers like Weston Acoustics, SGR or even Supratek to name a few. For me, Paul Baker's works blow them out of the water, without a doubt.

So, this is it gentlemen, the place to share your experience of Falls Audio products. Please post some pictures and listening impressions. I am sure there are many who love his products.

I'll start. I am getting this one soon to drive my Axiom 80s, single ended parallel 45 amp. I have been dreaming to get one of Paul Baker's amps and finally, FINALLY, after more than 4 years of waiting it's going to come true.

Some pictures:

Paul Hedalfa has heard this amp and he LOVED it. I trust his opinion so that's why I pulled the trigger and I am sure I will enjoy this amp too!

My listening impression to follow once I get the amp and time to do a proper listening session.

Cheers,
Wil

PS: Internal shots are available if I get a consent from Paul Baker.

Edit: Fix the name of the amp to single ended parallel to avoid confusion  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:14:06 PM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
Re: Falls Audio Owners Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »
Nice!

Is there a shot of power supply for it as well?

Paul knows how to build amazing amps no doubt about that!   The el34 amp I had for a short while was very impressive.  For me, it was the crazy power supply that made it really stand out from anything else out there.

Having also heard 1-2 products from Weston acoustics and supratek in the past, not sure it is fair to compare it to my experience with products build by Paul, as don't feel am comparing apples to apples.  Supratek only really do DHT preamps, while the Weston power amps I've heard were relatively budget priced, as opposed to what I paid for my el34 amp which used premium exotic parts that I had requested/supplied.

The killerdac while I had one, had a FALLS AUDIO print on the chassis too :)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:09:16 AM »
Congrats on the amp Jehuty!!    Hope that amp will bring you many years of joy.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:21 AM »
Thanks Tuyen and Andrew.

Tuyen, I haven't got a good shot of the power supply but I will upload some pictures once I get the amp. I think it's not as elaborate as your EL34 amp but it's actually the way I like it. For me, it's always less is more  :)

With regards to the comparison with other Australian build products, I'd say, bring it on. We can compare any DHT preamps (or any preamps) to the KillerPre, check: http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,2475.0.html.

And for power/integrated amps, you have had the experience with Paul Baker's amp, I hope you don't mind me sharing some pictures of your amp here: http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

Oh one more thing Tuyen, do you have any pictures of the FALLS AUDIO logo? I'm thinking about making some sort of FALLS AUDIO plate (pure silver gold plated or anything else cool) for my amp  ;D

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
Re Paul Bakers 245

Important thread william.

We may have difference preferences and when we judge a amp we need to consider amp speaker interactions. Also may be not everybody can hear not just what is currently reproduced but also what the potential an amp may provide. 

Not only did I find the mid-range of the 245 beguiling there was a timbral rightness, and sense of natural not over forced weight as well. Put it on a speaker like axiom 80 my intuition is it could be very good combination indeed. 8) 8)

I agree with Steve 50s are more balanced and more versalitie, yet that 245 amp was the shining star of my trip away. What was burnt in my mind was what it did right was just so Right!!!!.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Id buy this amp from William in heart beat. Like life itself things do not have to be perfect to be wonderful. This amp is definitely a keeper, not something for the hi fi merry go around. If your really lucky Paul Might build you one.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:31:06 AM by hedalfa »

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »
Hi Will,

Re the logo, only pic I could find in a hurry was this one with an AudioNote DAC sitting on top of the KillerDAC.  lol

But you get the idea of what the logo was like. Very basic!

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks Tuyen, that's good enough and I like it!  :)

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
Falls Audio 205D Line Stage

Most of us know about the compromise problem at the root of high fi. Wed love our cake and eat it to. So we gain more drive with a line stage, yet blunt dynamics and loose clarity over something like a passive or no passive at all. So we make the choice on one side of the tradeoff. What if we are rebels and say hell no I don’t want a trade-off I want drive, I want clarity, I want dynamics I want it all. Hey there’s to many bits in the signal path, transformers, wires valves etc….. Surely its going to be a tradeoff. Well you could call me delusional, but I am not really hearing one. You can hear deep into a recording with this line stage.

I really doubt there is much around at any price that can do the whole package like Pauls line stage. Sure you may find one a touch better in some particular aspect, yet can it do everything as well. You could lay down some really serious coin on some commercial line stage and I suspect it wont pull ahead. And for vocals if your not using 205D will its likely game over, they are in a class wholly of their own.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
found 2 pics of my old el34 killeramp built by Paul Baker.   Great stuff!

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
The man behind Falls Audio has sent me some more pictures.

Running ST shaped type 45 valves:

Internal shot of the amp:

Separate power supply:

The power supply is unique because I can run a single U52 rectifier (5 volt filament) or run a four pin base rectifier with 4 volt filament such as type 80 together with the U52. A very nice feature provided by our own Mr. Paul Baker  8)

Edit: replaced the blurry picture
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:46:26 AM by Jehuty »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
It looks like you snared a personal unit,  that Paul made for himself.    That's gold.

Well done mate.

Offline Tuyen

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
That pp 45 amp looks so yummy.  Nice one Will.

I'm just playing with cheap Valve amps at the moment, but I think after I get the rest of system sorted, it may be time for me to have a chat with Paul to build be something nice like your amp!

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 09:21:56 AM »
That pp 45 amp looks so yummy.  Nice one Will.

I'm just playing with cheap Valve amps at the moment, but I think after I get the rest of system sorted, it may be time for me to have a chat with Paul to build be something nice like your amp!
Hi Tuyen

Thanks! It's single ended parallel  :)  and yes, you should get Paul to build you one or two nice SET amps for your horns. I reckon they would work very well.

It looks like you snared a personal unit,  that Paul made for himself.    That's gold.

Well done mate.
Hi Andrew,

Indeed you're correct. Thanks!

Cheers,
Wil

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
William is indeed the LUCKY  :o :o :o new owner of Pauls personal amp. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 10:11:29 AM »
William is indeed the LUCKY  :o :o :o new owner of Pauls personal amp. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks to you for letting me know Paul  :)

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
The man behind Falls Audio has sent me some more pictures.

Running ST shaped type 45 valves:

Internal shot of the amp:

Separate power supply:

The power supply is unique because I can run a single U52 rectifier (5 volt filament) or run a four pin base rectifier with 4 volt filament such as type 80 together with the U52. A very nice feature provided by our own Mr. Paul Baker  8)

Edit: replaced the blurry picture

Geez two rectifiers, looks like you have pressed turbo charger button William :o :o :o  Got this and the leak in your stable now..... Nice layout must have taken some effort to convert.............

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:52:05 PM by hedalfa »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »
Geez two rectifiers, looks like you have pressed turbo charger button William :o :o :o  Got this and the leak in your stable now..... Nice layout must have taken some effort to convert.............

There's no guarantee that two rectifiers would work better than one Paul. I just wanted to have an option to run 4 volt filament rectifiers and I have a pair of filament transformers lying around doing nothing, so I sent one to Paul Baker to accomplish what I wanted. But then, Paul Baker told me that I can run both at the same time, what a bonus! How much are you selling your special mesh plate Philips type 80 rectifier? I want one  ;D  PS: The filament transformers are the same as what in Steve's type 50 amp  ;)

Also, I haven't even taken out my stash of vintage oil filled chokes, again no guarantee they will work better than what it's got now but it's always nice to be able to change a few things around to flavour the sound  8)

I will learn so much modding this amp, it's really a dream come true. Can't wait to get it  :)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
He also has the Gargoyle 50 in the stable,,,,,,,

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,190.msg10926.html#msg10926

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
There's no guarantee that two rectifiers would work better than one Paul. I just wanted to have an option to run 4 volt filament rectifiers and I have a pair of filament transformers lying around doing nothing, so I sent one to Paul Baker to accomplish what I wanted. But then, Paul Baker told me that I can run both at the same time, what a bonus! How much are you selling your special mesh plate Philips type 80 rectifier? I want one  ;D  PS: The filament transformers are the same as what in Steve's type 50 amp  ;)

Also, I haven't even taken out my stash of vintage oil filled chokes, again no guarantee they will work better than what it's got now but it's always nice to be able to change a few things around to flavour the sound  8)

I will learn so much modding this amp, it's really a dream come true. Can't wait to get it  :)

I understand the excitement. Though I do suggest that you get the axiom 80 going again first before you change anything, as these speakers really tell you whats happening, in a way that your current bedroom speakers wont. Otherwise the effect of any change might not be as youd expect, and undo Pauls work.

Pauls open baffle already have better performance than many other systems out there, so if there were major vices youd hear them. (His speakers have good clarity and resolution, and the only open baffle I have heard that produces anyting like real bass.)

On the axiom 80 the midrange produced by this amp will be heavenly, carry me away the angels are singing................ 8) 8) 8) 8)  You cant put a price on it, its blissful............ Ill make a prediction, this isn't the only baker 45 amp youll see I bet someone else will want one........... :P :P :P

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:18:37 AM by hedalfa »

Offline guru

• Liked: 21
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
Hi Will,

Re the logo, only pic I could find in a hurry was this one with an AudioNote DAC sitting on top of the KillerDAC.  lol

But you get the idea of what the logo was like. Very basic!

Audio note KIT DAC ,very distant cousin to the factory product and as of January this year, no longer associated as the kits contained less than 10 percent audio note product.