Author Topic: Visit to Stevenvalve's  (Read 6926 times)

Offline ochremoon

• Liked: 8
Visit to Stevenvalve's
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
Well, after reading and hearing about Steven's system, I finally met the man and had a listen to his setup on Sunday.

You guys who have written in glowing terms are not kidding. The very definition of presence, tone, engagement, accuracy of timbre, etc etc.

I have never heard a system that offered such sheer PRESENCE as Steven's. Forget the audio show bling, full of cheap parts, with its sterile etched sonics and over-inflated price tags. I intend to commence along a similar path to Steven's myself, with guidance from Steven and the abundant expertise on this forum.

Thank you Steven and Jen for your hospitality. I'd like to impose on you again in the near future and hope that I can offer you something in return.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Re: Visit to Stevenvalve's
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
Well, after reading and hearing about Steven's system, I finally met the man and had a listen to his setup on Sunday.

You guys who have written in glowing terms are not kidding. The very definition of presence, tone, engagement, accuracy of timbre, etc etc.

I have never heard a system that offered such sheer PRESENCE as Steven's. Forget the audio show bling, full of cheap parts, with its sterile etched sonics and over-inflated price tags. I intend to commence along a similar path to Steven's myself, with guidance from Steven and the abundant expertise on this forum.

Thank you Steven and Jen for your hospitality. I'd like to impose on you again in the near future and hope that I can offer you something in return.

Cheers,
Chris

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit Chris. You could buy valves from him to return the favour, not cheap but they're probably the best you can get  ;)

Cheers,
Will

PS: If you're going to the single driver way, I have a pair of boxes built to the same specs like Steve which I'm willing to part  :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »
It's an extraordinary system and still my reference along with Damians Shindo set-up...both different but both wonderful in their own way

Offline ochremoon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
PS: If you're going to the single driver way, I have a pair of boxes built to the same specs like Steve which I'm willing to part  :)

Thanks. Yes, I may be interested, but I'm down in Tassie so transport is an issue with those big boxes.

Offline ochremoon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
It's an extraordinary system and still my reference along with Damians Shindo set-up...both different but both wonderful in their own way

It's a brilliant system, but I wonder how it would handle complex music. I'm thinking I will likely end up with a couple of different setups to cover the range of material I listen to.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
It's a brilliant system, but I wonder how it would handle complex music. I'm thinking I will likely end up with a couple of different setups to cover the range of material I listen to.
It plays complex classical music quite well but I must admit I listen to other type of music from pop, rock and roll to heavy metal so yeah I totally understand where you're coming from.

When I get my single driver system fully sorted, I'd like to build a separate horn system around the existing single driver system. It's a long journey but I think it's been very enjoyable and rewarding.

Thanks. Yes, I may be interested, but I'm down in Tassie so transport is an issue with those big boxes.
Ahh Tassie! I've been thinking about visiting Graham in Launceston so I might go there soon!
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ochremoon

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »
I've been thinking about visiting Graham in Launceston so I might go there soon!

Definitely worth a visit. Graham has lots of nice gear - matter of fact I'm paying him a visit this Sunday.

Offline onthebeach

• Liked: 75
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
Hi Chris
I couldn't listen to my system for two weeks after first hearing Stevens. It made the gear at the hifi show that weekend sound a bit average. It's the closest I've yet experienced to live unamplified music. I reckon the layout of the room and ceiling has a fair bit to do with it as well. Move that same system to another house and the magic may not be replicated to the same extent.
My system hit a crossroads that weekend and is a thousand times better for it now. At least I'm getting real music now.
Say g'day to Graham from me. Will be looking forward to hearing his system in the next couple of years. Tassie is an awesome place...at the right time of year.
Nathan