Author Topic: Falls Audio Owners Thread  (Read 26107 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Re: Falls Audio Owners Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
I understand the excitement. Though I do suggest that you get the axiom 80 going again first before you change anything, as these speakers really tell you whats happening, in a way that your current bedroom speakers wont. Otherwise the effect of any change might not be as youd expect, and undo Pauls work.
Very true Paul.

Ill make a prediction, this isn't the only baker 45 amp youll see I bet someone else will want one........... :P :P :P
Well said. That is the purpose of this thread, to let people know about Falls Audio and stop wasting money for hifi merry go round. I work so damn hard for my cash, so I only spend money when it's really worth it.

He also has the Gargoyle 50 in the stable,,,,,,,
That amp needs some work to get it going properly. I've burned about three type 50 valves!  >:(
In the near future, I might ask Paul Baker to rebuild it for me (big task because shipping would cost me a bomb. My main input choke weighs about 20kg by itself), or perhaps ask Terry Demol (zenelectro) for in-depth analysis. Terry is another brilliant engineer. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to spend my money on both of them.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
Audio note KIT DAC ,very distant cousin to the factory product and as of January this year, no longer associated as the kits contained less than 10 percent audio note product.

Thanks for the information Guru. This is very informative for anyone considering going to Audio Note kits route.

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
My main input choke weighs about 20kg by itself

That's some serious piece of kit William.... do you where such a coke was used. My caps I haven't used yet were for scientific equipment. Plan to try them one day in a power conditioner.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:57:22 PM »
That's some serious piece of kit William.... do you where such a coke was used.
US Navy submarine.

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »
US Navy submarine.

An interesting past the choke has. A new meaning to sub sound. The hi fi rationalists wont be able to get there head around that one.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »
I request less chatter, more photos! (or details is interesting too)

From what I have read so far, the killerPre uses the ultimate of ultimate parts (some unobtainium stuff even).   Is the circuit/design used a Falls Audio special or is it based off a particular design?

Either way,  show us the eye candy!!  :P

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »
Tuyen

In case you didn't see it there is a thread where the line stage is discussed.

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,2475.0.html

There is a thread were the line stage is discussed with photos.

One the transformers likely will never be found again. The other similar transformers are available but not the same spec.

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
William left me this 245 amp this afternoon to try out. Even driving modern JBLs and no preamp, there is transparency and immediacy that's reminds me of steves amp. As its warming up it keeps sounding better and better. Its surprising articulate....  I am kicking myself to let this slip through my fingers, yet I know Williams going to enjoy it.

The vocals are addictive, I think William is bringing it to gtg, if he can get it out of my house :P 

It will be interesting to hear how this pairs with the supratex to drive it a long, just a theory that it might be a good combination.

I can't wait any longer.

Our own Paul Baker deserves more recognition for what he does. I have listened to many products from the so called hi-end Australian manufacturers like Weston Acoustics, SGR or even Supratek to name a few. For me, Paul Baker's works blow them out of the water, without a doubt.

So, this is it gentlemen, the place to share your experience of Falls Audio products. Please post some pictures and listening impressions. I am sure there are many who love his products.

I'll start. I am getting this one soon to drive my Axiom 80s, single ended parallel 45 amp. I have been dreaming to get one of Paul Baker's amps and finally, FINALLY, after more than 4 years of waiting it's going to come true.

Some pictures:

Paul Hedalfa has heard this amp and he LOVED it. I trust his opinion so that's why I pulled the trigger and I am sure I will enjoy this amp too!

My listening impression to follow once I get the amp and time to do a proper listening session.

Cheers,
Wil

PS: Internal shots are available if I get a consent from Paul Baker.

Edit: Fix the name of the amp to single ended parallel to avoid confusion  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:52:37 PM by hedalfa »

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »
NICE, hope it comes to play  ;D

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 10:59:26 PM »
William left me this 245 amp this afternoon to try out. Even driving modern JBLs and no preamp, there is transparency and immediacy that's reminds me of steves amp. As its warming up it keeps sounding better and better. Its surprising articulate....  I am kicking myself to let this slip through my fingers, yet I know Williams going to enjoy it.

The vocals are addictive, I think William is bringing it to gtg, if he can get it out of my house

Don't get too attached to it, otherwise I'll tear down your house if I have troubles getting it back!  8)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »
KillerPre by Falls Audio, posting it here so that everyone can see. For all non members, when you sign up you will be able to see the thread, it's full on!

I'll collate some more Falls Audio gear like Mario's EL34 amp when I have more time to post.

Springcreek and Hedalfa from Canberra visited Steve on the weekend. Other friends were there too like Ozmillsy, Zenelectro and Fallsaudio.

I had so much fun last night and the listening was really GREAT where we were finally able to "persuade" Steve to run his pair of holy grail globe tubes from his stash (that's right, he's got more than just a pair!)....The Western Electric 205D!

Other great valves in the mix were Philips type 80 mesh plate rectifier and Western Electric 205F. That was the first time I saw the Philips rectifier and soundwise, it's on par with Genelex Gold Lion U52. Paul, you're a very lucky man, I would have bought that rectifier if you hadn't bought it!

Some pictures that I took below.

The KillerPre with Full Music 205D and RCA type 80 globe rectifier:

The size of the pre with its power supply is massive! And the build quality is top notch, very well done Paul! I love it. Just to give an indication of the size:

Next, the Philips type 80 mesh plate and Western Electric 205F. MASSIVE improvements! I LOVE the rectifier!

Then we took out the 205F and replaced them with the Western Electric 205D, another improvements and the 205Ds were just getting better and better. Had a problem to fit the 205D into the valve sockets so we used blutak, that's about $2,000 worth of tubes with blutak, I am SURE the blutak price must have increased by a few hundred bucks at least, ain't I right Steve?!?  ;D

The 205D, the most expensive nipples I've ever played around with  ;D

And next to the Full Music:

Holy grail?

It was a fun GTG and nice to catch up with everyone!

Cheers,
William

Offline hedalfa

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
Tuyen

Its still a journey I still want to compare the outcome of active done by best of breed valves and active by solid state.

Re transformer. The trouble with custom transformers is that they are new by there nature. Scientifically the idea that iron ages may be considered bunk. Yet while manufacturing and some aspects of build techniques have improved, I suspect there is still something about aged iron that has an effect. From measurements other transformers may be superior. I have Paul Baker working on a project with parts that go back to the 1920s, so ill know more about the results here.

The pre amp uses a silk tvc.

I'm really keen to even just read more about Paul's speaker setup (DIY?), as I recall reading somewhere it is much more capable in some aspects compared to Stevens system?  The whole speaker driver, crossover design and method people choose interests me a lot.

Share the love!  :)

Anyway, back to the killerPre. It looks awesome!   Wondering if custom wound iron considered or were Tango transformers determined to be the best of the best?   What sort of volume attenuation setup is it the beast sporting?     

I like the use of kettle power cord in the photos :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »

Kt88 paul built ages ago
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:51:32 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
Thanks for posting Mario! Another great amp by Falls Audio!

Link to Falls Audio showcase: http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,2700.0.html
And the obligatory pic for a peek of what's in the thread:

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
Apologies to Falls Audio and the OP for the off topic posts, they have been moved to,,,,,
CLICK- Learning / Demo'ing

Let the pictures flow, without the noise.  :)

I should take a pic of my Dac board.   More Falls Audio goodness.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:17:59 AM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Thanks Oz! Much appreciated  :)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »

Paul Baker did works for some of the amps above. I can say that the special sounding ones had been touched by Falls Audio!