Author Topic: Holy wire to build your killer Stuff  (Read 40219 times)

Offline terry j

• Liked: 25
Re: Holy wire to build your killer Stuff
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
Ok, A fight it is. Lets have words at twenty paces, Draw your syllable and shoot.
Hahaha,   try limiting Craig or Jerry to 20 words.     :P

true dat! I think we both tend to write a bit!!

Offline terry j

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
Nothing *has* to be proven or demonstrated.  

I have no doubt it could, if it has to be.  

But why?  It wont change anything in your mind.  You'll just wander off and pick the same fight with someone else.  DTV power cable thread, this thread, other threads, there is a common theme,   your fun is in the fighting.

So pick a fight if you must. [Shrugs]

I get your thoughts about me, that is fine. IS there 'fun in fighting'? (not the words I would have used but they will do) In the sense of having a robust, enjoyable discussion about things we share a common interest of course there is. Even better if done face to face. And I have no doubt that craig would find it enjoyable too, which is why I took him up on his invitation for dialogue.

But the question remains, why if this topic has been done to death etc etc, and look at all of you throwing your hands up in despair, is the vitriol or attack only directed towards me and not towards craig who pulled a dead thread to life? My remarks fully and only were in response to his post.

Offline terry j

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »

Useful information. Ok, Jerry snuck in some probing questions about his system.  What did people think?

Oh please, 'snuck in'? Think it matters to me what people think? I KNOW craig did not like it. Which is completely and utterly fine. I have not got the slightest problem if someone does not like it, and even moreso I appreciated his honesty.

And the question was hardly 'probing' for god's sake. In any case, the question I DID ask went straight to the heart of the matter, he did not like the system, EVERY system he has played with cables in had a 'dramatic improvement' which led to the natural next question 'which cable would you change' to make a dramatic improvement? For all we know he might then even like it (or at least find it better).

What I heard 2nd hand (as I wasnt there),  is people were suprised by how good it sounded. Maybe others can elaborate.  The other question was, would changing cables on *his* system make a difference?   Thats an interesting one.  I've heard a few deqx active systems, and it's remarkable how close they sound.  The deqx is a leveller,  it pulls together the system and delivers coherent sound that is balanced - taking alot of variables out of play, the big one being the room.   You could change cables, that has a dramatic effect on the sound,  jerry then recalibrates the deqx, and it's back to what it was. Levelled.

Leave aside that you contradict yourself later, and that you missed the point completely, if you changed cables and 'that had a dramatic effect on the sound' then that WOULD be a successful demonstration of the effect of cables. I could not do anything but concede that my previous thoughts on the matter were in error.

If I had to then (per your flawed reasoning) take out the mic and 're-level' the system, then not only would there have been an aural change, we would also then have measured proof of the effect of cables no? Which has been the bugbear of every discussion on this subject, 'how do we prove it or not'. In your argument you have just provided the proof which you claim does not exist.

So would changing cables on his system be relevant?    Maybe.  The deqx deals in frequency response. Not distortion.  Is it worth mucking around with on his system?   These are not questions for others to answer.  It's for Jerry to share with us what he has or hasnt already tried.

Well then, if the deqx does not deal in the 'same area as cables', how do we go to your next step of recalibrating the deqx and hence level it? You can't have it both ways.

Howsabout we wait till we see what craig has to say, if anything.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
Jerry,   I'm not making an argument on this.

But you seem to have missed the point, and are snapping at your own tail.

I have no idea what you have or have not tried.   All I know about your system is, you use a deqx, and fondly refer to your speakers as Frankensteins (or something to that effect).

It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline jrhill

• Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »
Dunno if "Jeff's Place" blog has much relevance here but his replacement of his Western electric cables intrigued me a bit - he's now using the new Deulund impregnated tin/copper stranded #20 for signal and #16 for speakers - I got some metres from HiFiCollective and using some old Eichmann plugs, made up a balanced IC pair and an unbal pair and very surprised at the result - I prefer the sound of these to either my AcousticZen coppers or the loaner AudioQuest Colorado ICs for my current setup - at the reasonable cost of the wire, well worth considering ...

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 12:22:30 AM »
Dunno if "Jeff's Place" blog has much relevance here but his replacement of his Western electric cables intrigued me a bit - he's now using the new Deulund impregnated tin/copper stranded #20 for signal and #16 for speakers - I got some metres from HiFiCollective and using some old Eichmann plugs, made up a balanced IC pair and an unbal pair and very surprised at the result - I prefer the sound of these to either my AcousticZen coppers or the loaner AudioQuest Colorado ICs for my current setup - at the reasonable cost of the wire, well worth considering ...
Many knowledgeable audioheads say the old wire like Western Electric has had many years of thermal ageing, basically many years in a hot then cold cycle that seems to affect the copper. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:09:12 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline hedalfa2

• Liked: 26
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
Many knowledgeable audioheads say the old wire like Western Electric has has many years of thermal ageing, basically many years in a hot then cold cycle that seems to affect the copper.

I am going to try out some of the wire Jeff recommends. Old wire is likely superior due to thermal ageing and or other factors though new supplies are useful for projects.

Offline rab

• Administrator
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »
I'm using that Duelund wire for speaker cables: biwire with 12GA to the bass drivers, 16GA to the mids/tweet xovers, 16GA to the mid compression drivers, and 22GA to the tweeters. Sounds good but I confess I haven't done much in the way of comparison. Pixelplay agreed with Jeff Day that the Duelund 16GA sounded better than vintage WE.

I was previously using the old Lenehan Ribbontek for the bass drivers and I need to revisit and do a comparison.

I am also using the 16GA for interconnects between pre and power amps.

- r

Offline hedalfa2

• Liked: 26
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »
I'm using that Duelund wire for speaker cables: biwire with 12GA to the bass drivers, 16GA to the mids/tweet xovers, 16GA to the mid compression drivers, and 22GA to the tweeters. Sounds good but I confess I haven't done much in the way of comparison. Pixelplay agreed with Jeff Day that the Duelund 16GA sounded better than vintage WE.

I was previously using the old Lenehan Ribbontek for the bass drivers and I need to revisit and do a comparison.

I am also using the 16GA for interconnects between pre and power amps.

- r

I have bought the version 2 wire, what that really means without a comparison I dont know.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
I'm sure I just posted here  ???

Anyway, made up some twisted pairs of the Duelund DCA16GA wire for speaker cables for a mate's Saksa/Aurum Cantus system. Running them in on my ML-1's ATM and they are very nice sounding, better in every respect compared to my Neotech 7N cables.
Nice tonal colours and a very coherent and stable (wide and deep) soundscape/soundstage.

Haven't heard the WE stuff but this is nice wire.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »
I'm sure I just posted here  ???

Anyway, made up some twisted pairs of the Duelund DCA16GA wire for speaker cables for a mate's Saksa/Aurum Cantus system. Running them in on my ML-1's ATM and they are very nice sounding, better in every respect compared to my Neotech 7N cables.
Nice tonal colours and a very coherent and stable (wide and deep) soundscape/soundstage.

Haven't heard the WE stuff but this is nice wire.
Good to read your still in it
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2017, 11:00:31 PM »
Getting back into it I see, Mario  8)

I'm having a bit of fun helping others, but nothing happening with my system.

Tis all good though.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2017, 11:57:26 PM »
Its always fun trying different wire and stuff, and usually on the cheap. but don't you get a kick out of it when you strike gold.