Author Topic: MCI JH110B 2 track 1_4_ tape machine  (Read 15398 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
MCI JH110B 2 track 1_4_ tape machine
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
I have been offered one of these, any info will be handy. I found some info here and it is very positive.

http://www.maramachines.com/Machines/Machines.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:12:29 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: MCI JH110B 2 track 1_4_ tape machine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »
I have been offered one of these, any info will be handy. I found some info here and it this very positive.

just do it says nike
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »
I have been offered one of these, any info will be handy. I found some info here and it this very positive.

Well i scored the machine and its in great condition, but the heads need relaping, it is being rebuilt as i type. They are considered great sounding units, we will see.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Congrats Steven.  Whose doing the heads?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
Terry, the ABC tape tech, or to the states for lapping and laser alinment, but not all worn heads have enough meat left so we will see

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Terry, the ABC tape tech, or to the states for lapping and laser alinment, but not all worn heads have enough meat left so we will see

I guess if you are loaded with money you can send the heads to the states.

There are a few people here who can lap heads and I've even done them myself on a 1" 16 track machine I used to own.

Z

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »
Well i scored the machine and its in great condition, but the heads need relaping, it is being rebuilt as i type. They are considered great sounding units, we will see.

Steven,

The MCI JH110B machine is not bad.

I know a few guys who own them and will be doing electronics upgrades to both.  In standard trim I would say the repro is a bit better than the record side
and my clients listening tests tend to confirm this.

The repro are very similar in design to their mix console mic pre amps, which were not too bad, however they certainly can be improved quite a bit, there's a lot of junk
in the signal path (opamps, electro caps, etc etc) The good news is MCI is very accessible and doing card level upgrades are no problem.

The record side is probably a little more compromised and needs some work to get it really nice. Same deal card based and easy to sort.
Ultimately, a discrete / tube replay straight from heads is the way to go but that is an expensive option.

I'll keep you all posted how we go with this as he wants to get it done in not too distant future.

cheers

Terry

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:49 PM »
Apparently there are copper leads running straight from the heads with tags, plus easy access, The machine will need hotting up.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »
Apparently there are copper leads running straight from the heads with tags, plus easy access, The machine will need hotting up.

FWIW I have spent the morning speccing upgrade for Record / Line in side of JH110 as this is first priority for my clients ATM. This is just an existing board upgrade of virtually all parts.

Most of this can be applied to Repro side - I'll get to that next few days.

The heads have a fully bal OP connection.  I have design of Mic Pre that I am currently building which can be ported to Tape Replay direct from heads, however it is. as expected more pricey.   

Tape repro amp from heads requires various EQ / de emphasis options which adds complexity and cost. It also needs a lot of gain (up to 80dB) and very low noise at the front end. This is all
no problem with the right design.

If there was sufficient interest I would put priority on this project. The cost would be, at a guess, somewhere between $3K to $4K.  However the benefits are potentially pretty substantial.

At this stage I think the best course of action is we'll see how much difference the existing board level upgrades do. This should give some indication of how much further a complete separate unit will take it.   

cheers

Terry

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
Tape.........everything old is new again. It's the new holly grail, as if we did not know. Watch this, Nice. There is a list of all the latest master tape sellers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOdGYsNShqM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:55:57 PM by stevenvalve »