Author Topic: Metrum Acoustics Octave  (Read 31614 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
Metrum Acoustics Octave
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
Interesting DAC:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html

Uses unusual DAC chips and no output stage.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Metrum Acoustics Octave
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:58:24 PM »
Interesting DAC:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html

Uses unusual DAC chips and no output stage.

Thanks
Bill
Bill have you got it on order yet?
you seem to be the dac king :P
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Bill have you got it on order yet? you seem to be the dac king :P

Actually on that one I am tempted I must say - we will see if I can resist.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
I am sick, sick I tell you - caught in the grip of something I can't control - I ordered one.  But boy it sure is fun  :P :P :P :P

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
I am sick, sick I tell you - caught in the grip of something I can't control - I ordered one.  But boy it sure is fun  :P :P :P :P

Thanks
Bill
The biggest dac shootout coming to qld very soon
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
They got back to me and with shipping etc will be under the magic $1k. Ordered it and will send them the money Monday but as everyone suspected there is an 8 to 10 week wait.

Thanks
Bill

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »
 8)  Oh well, all the best things are worth waiting for.  Brave move taking some one elses word for it particualy 6 paychecks, ooops, I meant 6moons.  I done that once but never again, some of their contributors/ reviewers are obviously not very well versed in what makes music music.  That was a 6 grand mistake, ouch but makes a great paperweight!

Use your own ears and F*@# all those reviews who say some things great when really its only just OK.  :o  and measurements mean bog all, most single ended triodes measure like a dogs dinner but sound really good.  ;)
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
Ok the Metrum has arrived. In one word WOW. I blows away any other DAC I have heard except the PDX and Killer and I have to tell you they are under threat - its that good. I have never heard anything quite like it. The PDX and Killer sound natural and real - this thing simply sounds accurate - as if there is nothing between it and the recording. Nothing touches this for $1k - nothing. I simply can not detect any type of character to it - none - zippo - none.

I have it connected via the Off-Ramp 4 with Turboclocks and the Truth Pre-amp and am sitting simply in amazement. Of course the cost with the Off-Ramp is $2.7k and you need a pre amp which you do not need with a DAC like the PDX that has its own volume control so it works out about the same price.

I have my third DAC for the new shootout I am looking to arrange - this is without a shadow of a doubt an up there DAC - and at the price - amazing.

I simply can't stop listening to it.

More to come as I keep listening.

Thanks
Bill

tuyen

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
Hey Bobby,

Any chance after it's done it's rounds, us guys in WA may be able to have a squizz?

Pretty pretty prease?? !  :)

Offline bhobba

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:38 PM »
Hey Bobby, Any chance after it's done it's rounds, us guys in WA may be able to have a squizz?Pretty pretty prease?? !  :)

Hi Tuyen

First its Bill mate

Yes mate I am happy to do that.  It does not challenge the Killer which as you know is very musical, natural and real sounding  It is an entirely different animal and above any other DAC I have heard - accuracy first and foremost.  Likely related to the fact it has no output stage at all.

Thanks
Bill

tuyen

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
Sorry Bill!

I can relate to your descriptions.    It'll be good to compare it to my DDDAC which is quite 'accurate' style of sound too. It too has a very simple output stage (1 resistor + 1 cap  per channel).    Happy to send up my DDDAC for u guys to check out if I think it's worthy after first listening to the Octave :)

Tuyen

Offline kajak12

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
Ok the Metrum has arrived. In one word WOW. I blows away any other DAC I have heard except the PDX and Killer and I have to tell you they are under threat - its that good.
Thanks
Bill

Bill i can tell you now the killer is not under threat not even by level 99 PDX  dont forget we have a pdx in perth.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Hey Bobby, Any chance after it's done it's rounds, us guys in WA may be able to have a squizz?Pretty pretty prease?? !  :)

Likely related to the fact it has no output stage at all.

Thanks
Bill
Bill it will have opamps  in the dac chip,they rub off numbers of the dac chips, so the general public thinks its special like reinventing the wheel.Marketing boys are hard at it again ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:32:47 PM by kajak12 »

Offline bhobba

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
Hi Mario

There is zero doubt in my mind the Killer and PDX is better - by under threat I mean a comparison will not be a whitewash which most other DAC's I have heard it is obvious it will be.  In fact did a direct comparison myself with the PDX today - its better - more real sounding.  As I have said on a number of occasions when people ask me which is better the Killer or PDX I always say the Killer even though the PDX was an early prototype at the comparison the Killer won. Really it needs to be done again but my gut tells me the Killer will still do it.  The caveat here is the source which as you know IMHO is greatly in favor of a computer.  I suspect you will not agree with that so lets just agree to disagree on it.

I will see what can be done about getting my Off-Ramp out perhaps with the Metrum.  But need it right now for stuff up here.

Regarding DAC chips - maybe - but these are industrial chips - not your normal stuff.  And to my ears that's what it sounds like - nothing in your way of hearing whats on the recording - but you still know its a recording which you tend to forget with the better DAC's.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:51:25 PM by bhobba »

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
Hi Mario

There is zero doubt in my mind the Killer and PDX is better - by under threat I mean a comparison will not be a whitewash which most other DAC's I have heard it is obvious it will be.  In fact did a direct comparison myself with the PDX today - its better - more real sounding.  As I have said on a number of occasions when people ask me which is better the Killer or PDX I always say the Killer even though the PDX was an early prototype at the comparison the Killer won. Really it needs to be done again but my gut tells me the Killer will still do it.  The caveat here is the source which as you know IMHO is greatly in favor of a computer.  I suspect you will not agree with that so lets just agree to disagree on it.

I will see what can be done about getting my Off-Ramp out perhaps with the Metrum.  But need it right now for stuff up here.

Regarding DAC chips - maybe - but these are industrial chips - not your normal stuff.  And to my ears that's what it sounds like - nothing in your way of hearing whats on the recording - but you still know its a recording which you tend to forget with the better DAC's.

Thanks
Bill
Interesting observations.  This sort of implementation has been done before.  MSB for one has some products, but the price point is much higher.  I think that you may be on to something with the observation about the lack of an active output stage.  The R2R approach is of course the same as the TDA1541A, as opposed to one bit and noise shaping, as in the delta sigma dacs.  This probably contribute a lot to what you like.

As to the sound, is it lacking in dynamics or puch or liquidity?  If so, I think you could try some kind of buffer, like a tube buffer, to see if it helps.  It would be interesting if the addition of this might help.  It may be something lke that eternal debate of active versus passive preamplification.  I vastly prefer active, as to me it adds dynamics and musicality that I find missing with passive control.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
As to the sound, is it lacking in dynamics or puch or liquidity?  If so, I think you could try some kind of buffer, like a tube buffer, to see if it helps.  It would be interesting if the addition of this might help.  It may be something lke that eternal debate of active versus passive preamplification.  I vastly prefer active, as to me it adds dynamics and musicality that I find missing with passive control.

It is not lacking in any of those things - but its not the last word either.  I am using the Truth pre-amp which has an immeasuribly high input impedance and an output impredance of 2-3 ohms so it does impedance matching.  I sent a note to the maker of the Metrum obout the output stage and here is what I got:

Yes these dacs are made to generate extremely high frequencies (max 7Mhz) with very low distortion and noise. For some industrial or medical
processes this is very important . It is also important to do this on a very small substrate as long wires and connections of a design can be noisy by picking up interference. Therefore the whole conversion and buffering is build on the chip together Finally a 6 layer board is used to keep the noise
low.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »

It is not lacking in any of those things - but its not the last word either.  I am using the Truth pre-amp which has an immeasuribly high input impedance and an output impredance of 2-3 ohms so it does impedance matching.  I sent a note to the maker of the Metrum obout the output stage and here is what I got:
 Therefore the whole conversion and buffering is build on the chip together Finally a 6 layer board is used to keep the noise
low.

Thanks
Bill
opamps????????  you never know bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
Interesting observations.  This sort of implementation has been done before.  MSB for one has some products, but the price point is much higher.    It may be something lke that eternal debate of active versus passive preamplification.  I vastly prefer active, as to me it adds dynamics and musicality that I find missing with passive control.
Wow MSB oh oh how over priced is that dac and transport, not recommended unless your TONE DEAF
Edited by me due to jack daniels and ice influence

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:44:41 PM by kajak12 »

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
DEAF
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
Interesting observations.  This sort of implementation has been done before.  MSB for one has some products, but the price point is much higher.    It may be something lke that eternal debate of active versus passive preamplification.  I vastly prefer active, as to me it adds dynamics and musicality that I find missing with passive control.
Wow MSB oh oh how over priced is that dac and transport, not recommended unless your TONE DEATH

You mean tone DEAF, right Mario?  I have no idea, really, as I have never heard that brand.  What did you hear from MSB?

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »
Interesting observations.  This sort of implementation has been done before.  MSB for one has some products, but the price point is much higher.    It may be something lke that eternal debate of active versus passive preamplification.  I vastly prefer active, as to me it adds dynamics and musicality that I find missing with passive control.
Wow MSB oh oh how over priced is that dac and transport, not recommended unless your TONE DEATH

You mean tone DEAF, right Mario?  I have no idea, really, as I have never heard that brand.  What did you hear from MSB?

I thnk Mario duse vey wel for a Polish gentamen, I cud not do it in Polish - cud u?  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.