Author Topic: The Line Magnetic LM-502CA Dac  (Read 136265 times)

Offline klackto

• Liked: 35
Re: The Line Magnetic LM-502CA Dac
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
Is there anyone in Sydney or Brisbane with 1 of these?

Well I guess the hype got to me and I bought one of these a few months ago.
Haven't done any mods other than changing the tubes ... Marconi 6x4 & Mullard 12au7.
Previously I was using a Metrum Octave that was pretty good but I've fancied a tube dac for a while and the multitude of inputs on th LM dac appealed.
How does it sound? So far very good .... on most material better than the Metrum in my system and for the money, you can't go wrong.
I'm not completely convinced by it's handling of sibilants but I plan on doing some mods, mostly using parts I have at hand such as new choke, output caps, wiring etc.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »
Well I guess the hype got to me and I bought one of these a few months ago.
Haven't done any mods other than changing the tubes ... Marconi 6x4 & Mullard 12au7.
Previously I was using a Metrum Octave that was pretty good but I've fancied a tube dac for a while and the multitude of inputs on th LM dac appealed.
How does it sound? So far very good .... on most material better than the Metrum in my system and for the money, you can't go wrong.
I'm not completely convinced by it's handling of sibilants but I plan on doing some mods, mostly using parts I have at hand such as new choke, output caps, wiring etc.
sibilants is often caused by poor solder joints, wire that has been flexed a lot, faulty component, etc. Pain I the ass to find. I usually resolder all the parts or at least the ones I have done recently. Sibilants can be nullified after prolonged use. If its bad usually there is a problem and a long run in will not fix it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:32:55 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline yarhevarhe

• Liked: 0
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »
Does this DAC sound as good as the KillerDac?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2017, 12:04:37 AM »
A few have brought these after reading bryans comments, and then did the comparison, But ultimately there wasn't one. it is a good sounding DAC, but not magical. Shame because its Cheap. But hotted up it may cut it.