Author Topic: KECES DA-131 mk2  (Read 11243 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
KECES DA-131 mk2
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »
I bought the KECES DA-131 mk2 about 2-3 months ago, second hand.   It's a solid performer,  doesnt put a foot wrong anywhere.   Capable of big and clean sound staging,  no rough edges,  tight bass that is in the pocket,  nice highs.  

Having lived with a Killerdac for quite awhile,  this dac went back in on a weekly basis as a sanity check.   It doesnt capture that magical musicality of the killer, but play back killer recordings, and you still get that cheesy grin.    

If you're on a budget and cant afford a killerdac, this one is very good.  Capable of playing back hi-res up to 24/192, if that is of interest?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64406.0

edit: the output impedance of this dac is measured at 150 ohms.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:47:58 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline johnnydarko

• Liked: 0
Re: KECES DA-131 mk2
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
I bought the KECES DA-131 mk2 about 2-3 months ago, second hand.   It's a solid performer,  doesnt put a foot wrong anywhere.   Capable of big and clean sound staging,  no rough edges,  tight bass that is in the pocket,  nice highs.   

Having lived with a Killerdac for quite awhile,  this dac went back in on a weekly basis as a sanity check.   It doesnt quite capture that magical musicality of the killer,  but damn it's not too far away actually.

Play back killer recordings, and you still get that cheesy grin.   

If you're on a budget and cant afford a killerdac, this one is very good.  Capable of playing back hi-res up to 24/192, if that is of interest?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64406.0

I've always been curious about this DAC.  You just took my curiosity up a notch, ozmillsy.   :)

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
looks well made, nice big gnd planes, good component choice, for the asking price it looks like a bargain.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
I've always been curious about this DAC.  You just took my curiosity up a notch, ozmillsy.   :)

If tube dacs like the Havana synergise better on your system, then not sure this one would hit a home run for you JD ?      

I like it better than the Dacmagic, but it's kinda similar in that it's on the clean and neutral side of delivery, if you know what I mean.     Solid little unit for the money,  I currently use it with my pc/hiface combo.  

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
I've always been curious about this DAC.  You just took my curiosity up a notch, ozmillsy.   :)

If tube dacs like the Havana synergise better on your system, then not sure this one would hit a home run for you JD ?      

I like it better than the Dacmagic, but it's kinda similar in that it's on the clean and neutral side of delivery, if you know what I mean.     Solid little unit for the money,  I currently use it with my pc/hiface combo.  
hey oz start modding it to get more magic,i cant have anything longer then an hour without replacing parts
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
hey oz start modding it to get more magic,i cant have anything longer then an hour without replacing parts
I might do that,  too many things I want to do.    My focus is on building the KillerDac first.  Ongoing mods to my CD960,  just waiting for that Burson clock to arrive.  And I also want to Lampize 1 of my surplus cdp's,  preference is my Shanling SACD player,  but I'll do something else first as a dry run.    I'll get to this little beastie in among all of that.

Note; I've tempered my OP a little bit.   Did I say it comes close?   The longer I go without the Killer,  the more I realise how much I'm missing.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
I might do that,  too many things I want to do.    My focus is on building the KillerDac first.  Ongoing mods to my CD960,  just waiting for that Burson clock to arrive.  And I also want to Lampize 1 of my surplus cdp's,  preference is my Shanling SACD player,  but I'll do something else first as a dry run.    I'll get to this little beastie in among all of that.

Note; I've tempered my OP a little bit.   Did I say it comes close?   The longer I go without the Killer,  the more I realise how much I'm missing.
i was going to ask you to send the keces dac over just to see how close it is by your op,i guess now their is no point
the longer you havent got a killer the more you miss it. :'(
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »
i was going to ask you to send the keces dac over just to see how close it is by your op,i guess now their is no point
the longer you havent got a killer the more you miss it. :'(
It's not far away though.  The bits are coming together.  All good things take time.  :)

Yeah, this Dac is good.   But the Killer is great.    

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
just measured the output impedance of the dac,  out of curiousity,  and it's around 150ohms.