Author Topic: Next best to a KillerDac at a cheaper price point?  (Read 7624 times)

Offline YoungSC

• Liked: 1
Next best to a KillerDac at a cheaper price point?
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »
In another thread I've indicated an interest in buying a MingDa amp.  I've also been considering other options to take my system forward.

I'm thinking about taking a few steps back and one sideways with my system.  That is, going back from open baffle with horns, to a previous cabinet speaker (Decware HDT) using the same full range driver, but still bolt the horns on to the front.  I'd use my flea powered up to run these and maybe still include the open baffle bass to cover lower frequencies.  A similar concept to Brian's system.  This would make the need for a higher powered tube amp less necessary.

Having visited Mario and having had a tangible confirmation of the importance of a good source, I was also thinking about improving on the Monica 2 DAC I run at the moment.  Regardless of how I improve other areas of the system, if the source needs work, then I'm not going to achieve the full potential of the system.

My first preference would obviously be a KillerDac, but even thought the wife is going to treat herself to some diamond earrings and a new ring, I don't think that's going to fly.

I was wondering what DACs are out there around the $2000 mark that have a similar flavour to the KillerDac.  There seems to be an Audio GD Reference 7.1 for sale on another forum which may hit the mark.

Informed opinions requested and welcomed.

Simon

Offline matt200sr

• Liked: 9
Re: Next best to a KillerDac at a cheaper price point?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
How about a Level 2 PDX?

I am upgrading to a Killerdac so mine will be available shortly and in your price range  ;D

I am in WA too.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
Simon,

I'd wait, save up and get what you really want.  

Steven has been known to make a more affordable version of the Killerdac,  for those where the full $5K version is out of reach.  

The cheaper version has more economical parts in it,  and you can upgrade them over time, as funds permit.  It has the same inherent beauty as the $5K version, and it just gets better each time you improve parts.

This is how my non-standard version came about.  It's a long but rewarding journey to take, upgrading bits in the dac.  It's been fascinating.

PS: Dont know if he still does them, given the long wait times for people wanting the $5K version. But it wouldnt hurt to give Steven a call, to discuss it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:43:16 AM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
Seconded.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »
Not suggesting it is near a Kdac, but if your Monica 2 is stock, with the Rudolf Broertjes I/V stage, then it can be taken a good deal further with a number of not over expensive mods, if that is your thing (DIY that is).
I now have 2 Monicas from the bits I have accumulated through upgrading from the M2 I first built some years back and both are much better than the stock M2, still haven't spent $1K on them all up though the BG caps are near unobtainium now.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
Hi Simon , perhaps something like this : http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=252 would give you an excellent starting point and I am sure Mario could do a bit of work on it without too much expense.
Going down this route will allow you to keep as much cash as possible for the eventual KD purchase.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:22:44 PM by ozcal »
Listening with my ears :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
Hi Simon , perhaps something like this : http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=252 would give you an excellent starting point and I am sure Mario could do a bit of work on it without too much expense.
Going down this route will allow you to keep as much cash as possible for the eventual KD purchase.
Thats cheap for 1704 dac  hmmm   i wonder how much its like a pdx both 1704 and srpp
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
I am sure Mario could do a bit of work on it without too much expense.

Mario (kajak12) is retired from audio including modds or tweaks until futher notice
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline YoungSC

• Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Gents, many thanks for your responses.

I like the sound of an entry level KillerDac that can be taken further.  I've asked Steven what is available in this realm.

Simon