Author Topic: kajak12; wave player qls 550  (Read 23417 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
kajak12; wave player qls 550
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
Quote from: kajak12
the wave player great transport for no money.after kajak12 mods it was very good indeed and still serves mcb well.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

Re: kajak12; wave player qls 550
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:00:47 PM »
Quote from: mcb
Yep,  though it looks a little different these days

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »
How does it work exactly?    Nevermind,   I answered my own question. 

http://www.coemaudio.com.au/Sources/DACs/277/

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »
the first steps of modding just trying to understand what will oil filled caps do in the digital domain.they actually added weight and richness to the sound made it more like music and less digital.

still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
they actually added weight and richness to the sound made it more like music and less digital.
But it's just a transport isnt it,  just 1's and 0's ? 

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
The answer seems to lie somehow in the signatures of both you guys.. haha.. :P Will be good if somebody can actually explain this to me too.. :) Why changing caps can change the audio, when the caps are probably in the digital part of the circuit (in the context of this wave player and the Asus Essense STX sound card).

Offline kajak12

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »
they actually added weight and richness to the sound made it more like music and less digital.

BIG 0'S AND BIG'S compared to little o's and 1's.the only logical explanation i have

still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »
BIG 0'S AND BIG'S compared to little o's and 1's.the only logical explanation i have

haha,  aaaah, no that's not logical.  ::)

Between transports, and between mods of transports, there's got to be infinetly various levels of distortion in the signal, that is contributing to jitter (timing inconsistencies).    The jitter is subtely (or not so subtely) affecting the dac stage.   

Since there is zero de-jittering and no reclocking in the KillerDac, then it appears to be super sensitive to changes in quality of the incoming bitstream. 

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »

haha,  aaaah, no that's not logical.  ::)

Between transports, and between mods of transports, there's got to be infinetly various levels of distortion in the signal, that is contributing to jitter (timing inconsistencies).    The jitter is subtely (or not so subtely) affecting the dac stage.   

Since there is zero de-jittering and no reclocking in the KillerDac, then it appears to be super sensitive to changes in quality of the incoming bitstream. 
caps dont change jitter.so why do they change the sound?their is so much more for us to learn.
i know that the power supply has a big effect on sound with transports

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
caps dont change jitter.so why do they change the sound?their is so much more for us to learn.

Well apparently they do affect jitter , as does the quality of the power supply,   there literally can be no other explanation that I'm aware of.

The sum of all parts in the transport, adds up to quality of the digital (electrical) signal being passed out of the transport.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »

Well apparently they do affect jitter , as does the quality of the power supply,   there literally can be no other explanation that I'm aware of.

The sum of all parts in the transport, adds up to quality of the digital (electrical) signal being passed out of the transport.
i need a crow to measure jitter in my clock and change caps to see what happens its the only way to know

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
i need a crow to measure jitter in my clock and change caps to see what happens its the only way to know

While the clock is the significant variable,   I would suggest that there are others.   Quality of the SPDIF sender and receiver chips, if you are not using I2S.  

But also, since the digital signal is an electrical signal,  it can be affected by interference and other distortions.   Those distortions may not impact the integrity of the ones and zeros,  but they can impact how cleanly the signal is interpreted at the receiving end.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

While the clock is the significant variable,   I would suggest that there are others.   Quality of the SPDIF sender and receiver chips, if you are not using I2S.  

But also, since the digital signal is an electrical signal,  it can be affected by interference and other distortions.   Those distortions may not impact the integrity of the ones and zeros,  but they can impact how cleanly the signal is interpreted at the receiving end.
correct oz its everything in the chain that plays a part in our whacky world. i have the 8412 reciver chip at home you can use it in the new killer instead of 8414 chip( i wonder what is the diffrence is)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
but they can impact how cleanly the signal is interpreted at the receiving end.
to expand on this thought,  the jitter I am referring to is timing inconsistencies at the receiving end due to electrical distortion.    The 1's and 0's maybe always in tact,  but reading them may have it's own timing problems due to electrical issues in the chain.

I gotta 1, I gottaaaaaaa 1, I gottaa 0, I gottaaaaa 1, I gottaaa 0,  I gotta 0.  etc etc

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
then again,  maybe we're all just hearing things and kidding ourselves.......   bwahahahahaha   8)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Ethan Winers vid mentions jitter, worth a look and listen ;) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ
i agree with somethings that he has to say but not all.
i have seen this a long time ago dritz

Offline kajak12

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »
but they can impact how cleanly the signal is interpreted at the receiving end.
to expand on this thought,  the jitter I am referring to is timing inconsistencies at the receiving end due to electrical distortion.    The 1's and 0's maybe always in tact,  but reading them may have it's own timing problems due to electrical issues in the chain.

I gotta 1, I gottaaaaaaa 1, I gottaa 0, I gottaaaaa 1, I gottaaa 0,  I gotta 0.  etc etc

i like you explanation oz   ;D

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=89666&st=40&start=40  post 41
looks like he is enjoying his wav player more modds to come

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
I have a fond memories of Marios wavplayer. Honestly though, it was a bit of the pain in the ass to use and navigate. What relevance does this have? None, just a fun fact :)

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
I have a fond memories of Marios wavplayer. Honestly though, it was a bit of the pain in the ass to use and navigate. What relevance does this have? None, just a fun fact :)

Hens,  ease of use is definitely not the wavplayers strength.  But, as you know, it is quite amazing what it delivers.