Author Topic: Commercial transports  (Read 8371 times)

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
Commercial transports
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
I was just thinking how the CD94 and CD960's are now becoming inflated in price and in short supply due to their recent demand.  :(

As such I was considering looking at a Esoteric transport which I have seen some models going for around $700.00 secondhand.  I'd be curious how they would compare with an added 12v powered Trichord clock with upgraded caps?   

Has anybody tried to mod, or compared Esoteric transports?

In some cases a Esoteric could be cheaper to buy than a CD94 & CD960.  8)

Cheers, flemo.

crazikid

Re: Commercial transports
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
hi flemo.

i was looking at buying a esoteric p2 recently(few months ago) and my concern was if the laser and assembly shate itself i'd be up for big biscuits... the marantz cdm1 is a very reliable mechanism and sourcing cdm1 mechs from other models seems much easier than finding KSS-151A (esoteric - p2, p500, p700).. latest ebay is $570-723.

would i like to run cdm1 vs esoteric.. absolutely... would be an interesting battle. particularly for kDAC owners.

Offline flemo

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
Hi James,

Yes good call mate, bloody parts!

Although Upfront has the Teac VRDS-10.  We live in the same suburb and haven't met - yet,  but hopefully soon we'll get to run it against my CD50 and Tuyens CD94?

I guess I was trying to keep my options open (and mind), I mean there's a thousand dacs out there but so very few transports. There must be other options we could look at?

crazikid

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
run each against each other in the same system...i reckon they will all be good.. though different..

and let us know which you prefer..

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:33 PM »
I was just thinking how the CD94 and CD960's are now becoming inflated in price and in short supply due to their recent demand.  :(

As such I was considering looking at a Esoteric transport which I have seen some models going for around $700.00 secondhand.  I'd be curious how they would compare with an added 12v powered Trichord clock with upgraded caps?   

Has anybody tried to mod, or compared Esoteric transports?

In some cases a Esoteric could be cheaper to buy than a CD94 & CD960.  8)

Cheers, flemo.

good question flemo i had the same thoughts for years,and i have one answer buy one and we will see what can be done with it ;)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Upfront

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 03:20:02 AM »
Or you could ask nicely and borrow mine! ;D it's not the machined billet alloy esoterics I've seen but it should give an idea at least.

Offline flemo

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »
Or you could ask nicely and borrow mine! ;D it's not the machined billet alloy esoterics I've seen but it should give an idea at least.

Hi Upfront,

Sounds good mate.  Hopefully soon I'll have my system togther and we'll have a gathering!

Cheers, flemo.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
I've got a P500 if anyone want's to have a play with that

Offline Upfront

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
We could have some fun with this.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
I've got a P500 if anyone want's to have a play with that
send it down gamve if you able to,it will not look the same if i get my hands on it a new toy to play with
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline gamve

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »
Will Do Mario. Have to retrieve it first. Will get it to you

crazikid

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:40 AM »
nice offer gamve..

Offline flemo

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »
Still looking at alternatives to the CD94 and it's close relatives, this Sony looks like a beast!  Looks like a great foundation for a killer transport, almost a shame to modify?

http://cddiscplayer.com/sony-cdp-xa7es-cd-transport-cd-player

Offline gamve

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
Picked the P500 up from my mates place and just giving it a run now to make sure it's working OK before sending to Mario to fiddle with. This could be a good one for the list. I'm running it with the Altmann BYOB DAC and IMHO it is nearly in the same class as the unmodified Phillips CD960...Surprisingly good to start with. Do your worst Mario could be a goodun. 

Offline kajak12

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:28 PM »
Picked the P500 up from my mates place and just giving it a run now to make sure it's working OK before sending to Mario to fiddle with. This could be a good one for the list. I'm running it with the Altmann BYOB DAC and IMHO it is nearly in the same class as the unmodified Phillips CD960...Surprisingly good to start with. Do your worst Mario could be a goodun. 
kajak12 will play and make a clock just for it bring it on !!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D