Author Topic: bhobba; NAKSA  (Read 38436 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
bhobba; NAKSA
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
Quote from: bhobba
Hi Guys

Here is an amp that may go well with the killer DAC:
http://www.aksaonline.com/products/products_NAKSA70.html

Hugh has built me one and I have had it delivered to Mike's at the Gold Coast - it is being delivered today.  Pop in for a listen if you are up that way and check out his new ML3's.

And yes for you WA guys I can arrange for it to be sent out that way so you can check it out with your Killer Dac's once we are finished with it up here.

Thanks
Bill
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: bhobba; NAKSA
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
Quote from: Upfront
Let us know what you think mate.

Quote from: bhobba
100% for sure.

Thanks
Bill
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Hi Guys

Got to hear this amp at the DAC shootout.  Unfortunately the comparison was less than optimum in that what we were comparing it against were Mike Lehehans $20K Macintosh mono-blocks.  These are very impressive looking and very powerful amplifiers.  The comparison was also not level matched which of course favored the more powerful amp if it was in anyway played louder - which unfortunately I think it was.

OK now the scene has been set when I heard the amp what immediately struck me was a crystalline clarity, to me it was not transistor sounding nor was it valve sounding.  The designer Hugh Dean thought it was valve like.  I know the technical reason for this - the amp produces valve like even order distortion harmonics. I thought it was like a digital amp but without the metallic sheen that I find they can have.  It also had a detailed lively sound - but I knew that would be the case since Hugh designed it like that.  Interestingly Mike thought the amp smooth.  To my ears it also had a light airy quality.  While listening to it a number of guys came up and said how much they enjoyed it.  This is a unique very good sounding non fatiguing amp.

Now for the contentious controversial bit.  When those Macintosh's were switched in for comparison I and others thought they were a little better.  Some guys however thought they are quite a bit better.  Discussion ensured.  The guys who thought they were quite a bit better said it was real.  Personally I remained unconvinced.  I conjecture the difference  had to do with the unmatched levels.  Mike thought the difference was the Macs has better bass grip but the NAKSA had a unique non fatiguing, smooth sound.

Anyway what I plan to do is leave it down at Mikes for a while so people can listen to it if they wish.  Then I will bring it back to my place and do a formal comparison with my Sonofagum.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:12:58 AM by bhobba »

DanFi

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
A friend of mine is making one of these so i may be able to snatch it and compare it to mine which i would love to do. The whole project sounds very interesting and promising. Also pics .... mmmm yum yum

Offline bhobba

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:21:20 AM »
Hugh's a nice bloke and always willing to chat about all things audio

Yes indeed - top bloke.  And those amps are truly unique.  I still have that sound in my head - so clear yet with a light airy quality.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
A friend of mine is making one of these so i may be able to snatch it and compare it to mine which i would love to do. The whole project sounds very interesting and promising. Also pics .... mmmm yum yum

Check out:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81041.200

When I have done a bit more listening I will arrange for it to be sent to some trusted acquaintances in Sydney and Perth so others can hear it.

Thanks
Bill

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »
Thank you kindly Bill!

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
bill soon your going to go through more gear then johnydarko.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
haha, bhobba, the new jonnydarko.

Bill, honestly mate, just buy killeramp, to go with killerdac, and then buy killer ML1.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
no no no i dont like copy cats hens (you and tuyen are enough)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
haha, you forced me Mario, I was happy with my headphones till you ruined it and emptied my wallet.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
haha, bhobba, the new jonnydarko.Bill, honestly mate, just buy killeramp, to go with killerdac, and then buy killer ML1.

No I like the killer Ml3's - already ordered them off Mike.

Thanks
Bill

tuyen

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
Very nice bhobba!

Please remember us and upload photos when you can.

I still have yet to see what final production ML-3s look like :)

Offline bhobba

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
Hi Guys

Will be going down to Mike's some time next week to check out his first production run of the PDX.  I was going to do it tomorrow but Mike was having troubles with the PCM1704 chips he was using - he was ripped off - they were fake.  Evidently that sort of thing is becoming more common.  People wonder why the cost of decent Hi Fi is going through the roof.  Well that's one reason.

Anyway I will be taking my NAKSA down there to hear the PDX and Tranquility through it and the ML3's.  I will leave it down there and have Mike send it on to Mario so you guys in Perth can check it out.  I am sure Mike knows Mario's address so its simply a matter of you guys letting him know it's on its way.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
Please remember us and upload photos when you can.I still have yet to see what final production ML-3s look like :)

Sorry guys forgot you were waiting on some pics - here they are:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=album;id=5438

Thanks
Bill

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
Bill, any idea what day you are going down? I'd be keen to check out the final PDX..

Fake parts are getting pretty common especially capacitors and transistors, and very annoying, I've decided to stay away from anything that looks like it's being sent from, or will be sent from, China/HK from now on

tuyen

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
Cheers for the photos Bill. Those ML-3 look very nice indeed.

The photo of the reference model crossovers just makes my mouth water!  ;D

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »
they looked much more impressive in the flesh, huge!

Offline bhobba

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
Bill, any idea what day you are going down?

I am actually going down today because a guy is coming up from Melbourne and wants to hear the Tranquility, PDX, NAKSA and ML3's.  You can come down today if you like at about 11.00.  But that will just be the prototype PDX.  Mike doesn't know exactly what day the first production run of the PDX will be finished but is expected some day next week.  Will keep you informed.  May be able to send the NAKSA off today.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:54:41 AM by bhobba »

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
Bill, won't be able to make it today, might of been able to manage some time next week, I'll just wait for shootout number 2 :)