Author Topic: bhobba; NAKSA  (Read 38416 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
Re: bhobba; NAKSA
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »
Bill, won't be able to make it today, might of been able to manage some time next week, I'll just wait for shootout number 2 :)

No problemo.  That will occur when Mike has the first production run of the PDX with the USB input and we compare it to the Tranquility.  Will let you know what day it is on - but is expected to be sometime next week.  In fact I will ensure it is on a day you are available since Mike can't do it without me as I have taken the Tranquility back to my place.  Trouble is it needs a pre amp so I will have to use my little Redgum rather than the NAKSA - while an excellent amp - especially for the money - is not quite as good as the NAKSA - but then again it is much cheaper and the NAKSA is incredible value of money.  Because of that I have sent the NAKSA off to Mario for him and the other Perth guys to check out.  Watch this space for what they think.

Anyway see my next post for how today went down at Mikes.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:39:33 PM by bhobba »

Offline bhobba

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Hi Guys

Initially wasn't going down to Mike's but a guy came up from Melbourne specifically to check out the WFS, PDX, Tranquility and NAKSA.  So off I went taking the NAKSA and WFS - the Tranquility and WFS was already there.

First off he much preferred the Tranquility and the PDX to the WFS.  He heard the issues I had been writing about with the WFS - including the sibilance but thought it was not that bad and I had probably become a bit sensitive to it.  However he thought it, while detailed, was constrained and closed while the other two DAC's were open.  As I had previously noted the Tranquility had a rather dry sound while the PDX was fuller and richer.  He preferred the PDX and that is what he will be getting.  

Oh and like everyone who has heard them was quite impressed with the ML3 speakers Mike is working on.

Ok how did the NAKSA go.  Very very well thank you.  We had been listening to Mikes much more expensive Macintosh's.  When we put the NAKSA in, this time properly level matched, the initial reaction was - did you change the amp?  Basically he said if he had left the room he could not have known the amp was changed.  Well having listened to both amps a lot I could hear some differences - basically in the NAKSA's favor - it was a touch more non transistor like - a little smother and perhaps more easy listening and clearer.  But when pushed hard, as you would expect with 500W of power, those Macintosh's shone - their grip was simply amazing.  But keep it to sane levels and it was a very close thing with, IMHO, the slight edge going to the NAKSA for being more relaxing and easier to listen to.  Now bear in mind those Macintosh's, while of course excellent amps, cost $20K.  To me, unless you like to listen at frightening loud levels, its a no-brainer - get the NAKSA.  That was the opinion of the Melbourne guy as well. That was the opinion of the Melbourne guy as well. Right throughout listening to the NAKSA he had a smile on his face just like Hugh (the designer of the NAKSA) mentioned of the person who listened to an amp he designed many years ago called the glass harmony. He would sit there for hours listening to it with a beatific smile on his face. In fact one of Hugh's goals was to equal; or even exceed that amp. IMHO with the NAKSA he has succeeded. Naturally he is going to get one.  

But being the kind of guy I am and rather liking the idea of sharing a good thing I got Mike to ship it off to you guys in Perth who are into the Killer DAC for them to check it out on their predominately valve systems.  A very interesting comparison indeed and look forward to what you find out.  Mario should have it in the next few days.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:00:39 AM by bhobba »

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
Trouble is it needs a pre amp so I will have to use my little Redgum rather than the NAKSA - while an excellent amp - especially for the money - is not quite as good as the NAKSA - but then again it is much cheaper and the NAKSA is incredible value of money.

If you need a preamp I could bring my VSE SVP-2, but didn't Mike's NM-24 have a line stage? IIRC.

I'd be keen to hear both the Tranquility and the PDX again, so let me know a rough time frame and I'll make sure I can get some time off. I need to see Mike about maybe ordering some Duelunds too :)

Offline bhobba

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
If you need a preamp I could bring my VSE SVP-2, but didn't Mike's NM-24 have a line stage? IIRC. I'd be keen to hear both the Tranquility and the PDX again, so let me know a rough time frame and I'll make sure I can get some time off. I need to see Mike about maybe ordering some Duelunds too :)

A pre amp is not a problem - Mike has one.  Although you still can bring yours along if you like.  Now I know you are interested I will ensure it is at a time you are available.  This test though will be much tougher and more though than what has been done previously.  Both DAC's will be fed by USB so it will be an apples to apples comparison.  We can also compare the PDX's USB to Mike's top of the line tricked out transport and it will be fairer this time because it will be via I2S.

Oh and should anyone wish to join us drop me a line and we will see what can be done.

Thanks
Bill

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
Bill, ok, that sounds like it would be very interesting, keep me updated

Offline bhobba

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
Hi Mario and Other Perth Guys

Hugh just mentioned on his forum he is really looking forward to hearing what you guys think of his amp.  That's because he knows you are really serious about sound quality.  Mike sent it Monday and should be arriving at Mario's soon.  This is really an interesting sounding amp and what you guys think will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

tuyen

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »
Really appreciate your generosity Bill.

Will look forward to hearing the amp in a few of systems down here in Perth :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
thanks bill all i need to do is get a pre amp so i can run the naksa in my system.
ANYBODY IN PERTH WITH A PRE?
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
all i need to do is get a pre amp so i can run the naksa in my system.
ANYBODY IN PERTH WITH A PRE?

I am sure someone will put their hands up.  But if for some unknown reason they don't I know a guy down Perth way who may be able to help.  Let me know if it is an issue.

Thanks
Bill

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »
what about the lightspeed?!?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »
what about the lightspeed?!?
i will try it but my dac is 2.8k remember
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »
hey ozcal i think you should listen to this amp if anyone comes down my way they can take it to you.

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
I have a pre Mario

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »

Dont tell me you've given up on it before giving it a go?    :o    Not an ideal impedance match,  but still,  who knows....
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »

Dont tell me you've given up on it before giving it a go?    :o    Not an ideal impedance match,  but still,  who knows....
i havent given up oz i just need back up in case i will fire up the lightspeed on saturday morning.2 options are better then one :D

Offline kajak12

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »
I have a pre Mario
thats good hens what is it?

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
You've probably never heard of it Mario.

It does have tubes though :P

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
hey ozcal i think you should listen to this amp if anyone comes down my way they can take it to you.
Thanks Mario , look forward to it.
Gordon
Listening with my ears :)

Offline bhobba

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »

Hope Mario has got this amp in his hot little hands.  If so does anyone have any initial impressions? I know Hugh has heard your (meaning all the Perth guys - not just Mario) rep as really committed audiophiles and is keen to hear what you think of this amp.  Everyone who has heard it simply can't believe it's solid state.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »

Hope Mario has got this amp in his hot little hands.  If so does anyone have any initial impressions? I know Hugh has heard your (meaning all the Perth guys - not just Mario) rep as really committed audiophiles and is keen to hear what you think of this amp.  Everyone who has heard it simply can't believe it's solid state.

Thanks
Bill
amp not here yet bill ::)