Author Topic: Another DIY power cable  (Read 15412 times)

Offline Upfront

• Liked: 0
Another DIY power cable
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »
Any ideas for a power cable design? I have about 10m of 1mm 3 core (active, neutral 1mm solid core and earth) and I'm wondering what sort of design to use. I'm thinking of twisting 4 neutrals then 4 actives twisted in the opposite direction and then 8 earths twisted back in the original direction. I understand that 8 or even 4 cables won't be able to be terminated in an IEC plug etc... I will connect and solder some fly leads for a proper connection. Stiffness will be another drama.
Any other ideas?

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Another DIY power cable
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
 :o  that's gunna be a helluva monster power cable, can't wait to see some pics.

It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:03:49 AM »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Upfront

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
Bloody hell mate. I better be careful so the cops don't come knocking

Offline Upfront

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »
New power cable is half done.
Lucky I'm not trying to make a flexable cable!!!
Its made up of 1mm solid core cable
3 negative strands at a rate of 1 turn every 50mm
then 7 positive strands twisted the opposite way (90 deg to the negative).
next is the earth......
I'm going to need some more cable! 

crazikid

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
What a Behemoth of a cable... :P

Offline kajak12

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
fuk me audioquest better learn how to make a cable
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
Lovely work UP
Listening with my ears :)

Offline Upfront

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
Thanks guys. Its a little rough but its only a prototype. A bit of fun while i have a quiet beer

tubeguy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
next is the earth......

You do realize that the power coming from the wall is AC (obviously not judging by your post)
Both the Active and neutral should be of equal cross sectional area and the whole lot shielded by the earth if you want it to make any sonic difference.
Using fancy-pants wire wont make one bit of difference to the "sound" of your system.
However, if you shield the active and neutral, and happen to use crappy unshielded interconnects then there most likely will be an improvement in SNR.
This will give seemingly wider sound-stage, cleaner bass, and better instrument definition.

Best regards, TG

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
next is the earth......

You do realize that the power coming from the wall is AC (obviously not judging by your post)
Both the Active and neutral should be of equal cross sectional area and the whole lot shielded by the earth if you want it to make any sonic difference.
Using fancy-pants wire wont make one bit of difference to the "sound" of your system.
However, if you shield the active and neutral, and happen to use crappy unshielded interconnects then there most likely will be an improvement in SNR.
This will give seemingly wider sound-stage, cleaner bass, and better instrument definition.

Best regards, TG
Tube guy, do you think different types and or gauges of wire will make any audible sound differences. I have made many power cables and they all sounded different. Solid core wire of varying gauges, changed the sound markedly..

tubeguy

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
next is the earth......

Best regards, TG
Tube guy, do you think different types and or gauges of wire will make any audible sound differences. I have made many power cables and they all sounded different. Solid core wire of varying gauges, changed the sound markedly..

Maybe in your head it does, but back in the real world there is no sonic difference. Unless there was a fault with the original cable.  Best regards, TG

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
Maybe in your head it does, but back in the real world there is no sonic difference. Unless there was a fault with the original cable.  Best regards, TG
I don't get it.. Are you trying to be philosophical or scientific? What has the real world got to do anything? What is real? What is not?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
@TG  would you mind sharing with us what kind of a system are you running currently in your home?
we just love eye candy aswell the more we see the bigger our hunger gets for music

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
Any ideas for a power cable design? I have about 10m of 1mm 3 core (active, neutral 1mm solid core and earth) and I'm wondering what sort of design to use. I'm thinking of twisting 4 neutrals then 4 actives twisted in the opposite direction and then 8 earths twisted back in the original direction. I understand that 8 or even 4 cables won't be able to be terminated in an IEC plug etc... I will connect and solder some fly leads for a proper connection. Stiffness will be another drama.
Any other ideas?
Here is another cable i will show you how to make, a simple cheap power cord that sounds fine, very very good. Its the ones i use through my system. Get the parts from bunnings. I will put up pictures of how its made. Hope you know how to platt. Dont platt it to finely, about an inch apart. Use good copper or brass each end plugs.  If you have the money use the Furutech plugs. The cable you see is older, the new bunnings solid core stuff does not have the white around the cable it is thinner but copper diameter is the same, and is now just the red you see in the picture near the plug. Use the ferite ring near the wall end. Solder all the connections, clean the pins first.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:08:43 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
next is the earth......

Best regards, TG

Maybe in your head it does, but back in the real world there is no sonic difference. Unless there was a fault with the original cable.  Best regards, TG
Tube guy are you a electrical technician. Tech people usually have that point of view.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:04:06 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »
Any other ideas?
Rule number one with power cords, keep it simple.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
pic of stevenvalves cable(cheap skate uses crap plugs)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
That looks pretty good to me Mario, but the most important thing is how does it sound?

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

crazikid

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 08:27:30 PM »
thats a massive ferrite ring... nice braid...