Author Topic: CD50 case  (Read 14013 times)

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
CD50 case
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:13:06 AM »

I decided it was time to do something about the way my Marantz CD50 CDP looked and try and resolve some niggling issues I had with it.

The first thing I hated was that it didn't come with its original lid, secondly I hated the flimsy sheet metal bottom and back, thirdly I really hated the loose Cat5 cable inside the machine and going to the 12v car battery, and fourth, well it was plain ugly!!

I also considered the external build quality of the CD50 compared to the CD94, and what struck me was the superior dampened alloy casing. Of course I really like the Philips CD960 too, but the differences between the CD94 and CD960 is also that superior dampended outer chassis. 

I then decided to remove all the tin and build a case which would assist with dampening, allow space to install vintage oil filled caps whilst keeping it all enclosed, and hopefully improve the bloody looks!!

Anyhoo here's some pic's of what I did to build a prototype case, which hopefully has resolved my complaints and bugger me it may improve the sound?

Offline flemo

Re: CD50 case
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »
More pic's.........

Offline flemo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:19:53 AM »
Anyhoo, I just put it together this evening and hope to take more pic's and add them tomorrow.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:15:40 AM »
Very nice work flemo !
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

crazikid

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »
just beautiful flemo.. you may find yourself very busy doing case work for all the kdac out there.

tuyen

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
Very nice!

Matching case to your dac. Exemplary work there Pete :)

Offline flemo

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »
Thanks fella's, the good thing is I was able to use bits and pieces from the shed and only had to buy a Cat5 plug.

I'll post more pic's soon.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »
Wow Pete , lovely work.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »
Great job as always.... Impressive work.

Question. Will it help/hinder if say you line the inside of the case with copper? Will that shield other components against any radiation from the transformer, etc?

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
Very impressive flemo.

I was very impressed with what I saw on Sunday (and fair bit of finishing work has been done since then).  I suspect the photo's don't do the case justice.

Offline flemo

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
more pic's..............

Offline flemo

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »
last ones......

The big thing for me is getting rid of the cat5 cable going to the 12v battery.  It was always getting caught up and constantly putting pressure on the soldered joints on the clock.  It now have that plug and play element making it more user friendly and WAF.

I also had a set of Vibrapods left over from my TT days and provided good dampening for the case. 

Offline flemo

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
Question. Will it help/hinder if say you line the inside of the case with copper? Will that shield other components against any radiation from the transformer, etc?

Not sure Tj, it certainly couldn't hurt, but would it make a difference I can't answer. 

I didn't want to spend much more money on the CD50 as I'm waiting for the right transport to come along and then move the CD50 on.

Offline flemo

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
Very impressive flemo.

I was very impressed with what I saw on Sunday (and fair bit of finishing work has been done since then).  I suspect the photo's don't do the case justice.

Not long after you left Murray I was about to scrap the whole thing and start again.  The problem with doing projects based on practicle applications is during the process I think of another 10 ways I should have done it.  It's all good fun when it's cheap and if it doesn't work then in the bin and start again. This like my dac case was all from bits and pieces I had in the shed and lying around the place so it's only costing my time.   

Offline treblid

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
I didn't want to spend much more money on the CD50 as I'm waiting for the right transport to come along and then move the CD50 on.
FWIW I think you have improved the resale value...

What kind of material did you use for the sides? I see that on your DAC too. Are they veneers, or ply, or something else?

Offline flemo

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
The ends like the dac case is standard plywood, which I cut into strips and glue into panels.  A PITA but a good result IMO.

Offline mcb

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
flemo,

I knew it was going to look spectacular, but I did not realise just how good.

The cat 5 connector is a nice touch.

Offline treblid

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
The ends like the dac case is standard plywood, which I cut into strips and glue into panels.  A PITA but a good result IMO.
Simply amazing that a weekend is all it takes for you to construct a case like this... This is certainly something I will copy some day, once I trust myself with power tools... :D

flemo,

I knew it was going to look spectacular, but I did not realise just how good.

The cat 5 connector is a nice touch.
+1..

Offline mcb

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
I suspect that it took Pete a fair bit more that a weekend to do this.  My earlier comment may have been misleading.  The main case was built, however it was still in its raw state.  I don't recall seeing the lid, though I suspect that was elsewhere.  Pete showed me the detail he goes to, just to things like the power connecters to fit flush.

Offline treblid

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »
Pete showed me the detail he goes to, just to things like the power connecters to fit flush.
Oh. I missed that too.. How to do that btw?

For some reason now has a sudden urge to build something.. :lol: This is infectious...