Author Topic: CD50 case  (Read 13898 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: CD50 case
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 06:56:04 PM »
thats it flemo your the killer box maker
awesome i justy whant one for my cd94 and dac
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
More pic's.........

I what you to make me a case, for a new dac for me, any chance

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »
More pic's.........

I what you to make me a case, for a new dac for me, any chance

Hi Steve, no prob's mate except there's a bit of a queue over here in the west so you may have to wait a little while.

Offline flemo

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
Just to update now that I have the CD50 up and running, it's sounding sensational! 

My system is sounding very detailed and open, yet smooth, lush and warm.  I have very good synergy with the CD50, killerdac and modded MingDa amp.  I'm currently borrowing a set of Lenehan ML-1 speakers and although sounding very good, I'm still keen to hear the setup with the Gale 401A's (should I get them working!!).  All that side though it all starts at the source, even the killerdac loses its 'killer' without a decent transport IMO.

I had been using the beautifully built stock Marantz CD85 as the transport while the CD50 was 'in the shop' but as soon as I hooked up the CD50 it was game over, the system came to life.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to have a transport GTG, just a shame Tuyen's using I2S on his CD94 as it would be good to throw that in the mix.  I'd like to know how much better or different the CD94 is to the CD50 on my system. 

I haven't decided if or when I'll mod the CD85 yet as the CD50 is quite outstanding ATM.  8) 

Cheers, flemo.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
I haven't decided if or when I'll mod the CD85 yet as the CD50 is quite outstanding ATM.  8) 
I plan to keep my '94 stock,  and go to town on the 960.    I think it's interesting to be able to demonstrate the difference the mods make.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »
Just to update now that I have the CD50 up and running, it's sounding sensational! 

My system is sounding very detailed and open, yet smooth, lush and warm.  I have very good synergy with the CD50, killerdac and modded MingDa amp.  I'm currently borrowing a set of Lenehan ML-1 speakers and although sounding very good, I'm still keen to hear the setup with the Gale 401A's (should I get them working!!).  All that side though it all starts at the source, even the killerdac loses its 'killer' without a decent transport IMO.

I had been using the beautifully built stock Marantz CD85 as the transport while the CD50 was 'in the shop' but as soon as I hooked up the CD50 it was game over, the system came to life.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to have a transport GTG, just a shame Tuyen's using I2S on his CD94 as it would be good to throw that in the mix.  I'd like to know how much better or different the CD94 is to the CD50 on my system. 

Cheers, flemo.

put the ultra in flemo
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
Hi Pete,

Yes your system is sounding the best it ever has been. Very well balanced, natural, musical. Simply engaging!   Well done!    Your system looks so neat too..  you must post a photo of your setup as is now Pete!     I highly recommend locals to go have a listen to Pete's system if and when possible!      

The modded MingDa is a class above my modded yaqin.  The MingDa has the power to control the ML-1 better, and it shows with more stronger dynamics.  I like it!

Pete, I can just plug my 7220B digital chip back into my CD94 and it will allow digital out from the coax.  So no problems with a comparison at the next GTG :)   I can bring my Ultra's around too.   That will surely knock people's socks off!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:04:29 PM by tuyen »

Offline flemo

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »
Awesome Tuyen, I'll have to work out a couple of potential dates for the transport GTG.

I'll also look at posting some pics of the system soon too, don't why I didn't think of that?   

crazikid

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
wow.. thanks pete for sharing your experience...
photos of the system would be nice.
I'm very happy the mingda is singing and firing on all cylinders..V8 monster!

i'd be interested in hearing how changing the front tubes 6sn7/12at7 to NOS would sound. let me know as i spend lots of time getting to know that amp.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:25:34 PM by crazikid »

Offline flemo

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »
Just to update the thread as I'm using the CD50 again now that I'm using the Accuphase amp to power the Gale 402's.

I must say it is sounding really good with the SS amp.  The CD50 has added warmth, weight, smoothness and engagement. 

I recently installed one of Mario's DIY KajakAudio killer clocks and powered it with a spare 12 volt cordless drill battery and finally tried it today.

It's running very well ATM and I've listening to it most of today.  ;D

The differences between the CD50 & CD94 are staggering. In this setup the CD50 is a clear winner, although the CD94 is tuned for ML1 speakers and kdac. 

It seems the PCB for my CD85 is ready and will be shipped next week so I have more decisions to make!!   :o

Offline kajak12

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
i will make the clocks you install them we are goig into business ;D
try different caps on the clock

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 07:48:57 AM »
nice work flemo.   that old cap looks like it fits in.   I assume you have a little more height in the diy transport case?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline flemo

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
Yes Oz, the box has plenty of room for caps. If only the cavity at the back was 10mm wider then the battery would have fitted in there too.