Author Topic: Ozmillsy's KillerDAC  (Read 87162 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Ozmillsy's KillerDAC
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »
Steven came over last night,  and we played with caps.    The 400V Duelands havent arrived yet,  so we're experimenting with some other ones.    It has had some auricaps in it,  and we changed them with Obligattos.   It was a positive change, everything just sound more "together" .  

Then we tried some older (2006) AudioNote caps, which I believe are paper in oil.  They're heavy buggers.  These were in another league, they sounded awesome on this system.  They added fluidity and detail at the same time.  

The Dac is now running into the battery powered Lightspeed, and the Lightspeed is hooked up to a buffer,  to reduce the output impedance.     I have to say, matching impedances really makes a big difference to my ears.   Adding the buffer into the chain, brings the impedance down that is feeding the amps to 33ohms.    The bass has improved out of sight, it's full and solid, and the midbass has weight - that was lost when running without the buffer.    Is it the buffer colouring the sound, or is it better impedance matching, that is causing the change?    I believe it is more likely the latter, but probably a combination of both.      I'm interested to fit a volume pot in the OzKiller, and compare it to the Lightspeed/buffer combo.  

An internal VC would be alot simpler, with potentially less compromises?  May do that in time, but it's low on the priority list.

Good work Andrew!

WRT Obbligato's - I had suggested these to SV a few years back as a bargain basement option, it's decent performance for dirt price.

WRT PIO caps, yep it seems the best sounding caps always have something extra besides film/foil. There are a few other options around at
the moment at sub Duelund prices which need to be tried. More on that later.

WRT Buffer, what sort of buffer is it?  

WRT Lightspeed high OP impedances & bass, I very much agree with your assumptions.

I also agree, vol control in DAC has many advantages. We have to sort this out. Steven - work to be done !!!!!

WRT KillerDAC MK2 - I've just pumped the height of chassis up to > 100mm (from the old 2 RU) and made more sideways room.
I think the option to use UTC chokes and older caps is worthwhile for those who want to experiment, seeing you guys are having so much fun plugging and playing.

I must be getting soft in my middle age :)  

cheers

Terry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:00:23 AM by zenelectro »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »
I'm using this buffer.....

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/downloads/archived-manuals/English/x10v3_eng.pdf

I bought it a coupla years ago,  I used it for awhile, then put it aside.   Not sure I'd go as far as recommending it,   I just happen to have it.   It's come in handy on this instance. 

An integrated volume control would be better though.   8)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:13:19 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »

I bought it a coupla years ago,  I used it for awhile, then put it aside.   Not sure I'd go as far as recommending it,   I just happen to have it.   It's come in handy on this instance.  

An integrated volume control would be better though.   8)
i used to own one oz a long time ago with the dacv3 and power supply(buffer can be modded)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:24:39 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »

I bought it a coupla years ago,  I used it for awhile, then put it aside.   Not sure I'd go as far as recommending it,   I just happen to have it.   It's come in handy on this instance. 

An integrated volume control would be better though.   8)

Yep, know X10 v3 - I have one in for repair.

Shifting the vol into DAC and loosing the external X10 and Lightspeed will be a good upgrade for the future.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »
It seems to be pretty quiet around here lately.   All I can say is, I'm time poor at the moment.   Once the boy is in bed and asleep, I'm totally wrapped up in the music,  which is just sublime.......   what a privilege it is to be able to enjoy such a glorious dac, and to think there are still gains to be had - i2s/nos modded transport, dac chip and other upgrades.  

We really are far too lucky, fellas.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
It seems to be pretty quiet around here lately.   All I can say is, I'm time poor at the moment.   Once the boy is in bed and asleep, I'm totally wrapped up in the music,  which is just sublime.......   what a privilege it is to be able to enjoy such a glorious dac, and to think there are still gains to be had - i2s/nos modded transport, dac chip and other upgrades.  

We really are far too lucky, fellas.

thats good oz got my clock going yet?
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »
thats good oz got my clock going yet?

Nope,  that's on hold until the cdp is hotted up,  and has the Burson clock fitted.   Then I'll compare the M-clock after that.

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:08 AM »
Hi,

As a matter of fact I have the Duelunds 0.47/630V at home and going to fit them (in competition with silver foil Audionote) this week as output dac caps.
Are you making any more progress I am very curiuos....your dac looks awesome.

I am going to post a pic of my dac but am searching where in order to stay on topic (extreme modded Dac 3)
Made the cd-transport with an audiofriend as well.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:44:07 AM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
Hi,

As a matter of fact I have the Duelunds 0.47/630V at home and going to fit them (in competition with silver foil Audionote) this week as output dac caps.

I am going to post a pic of my dac but am searching where in order to stay on topic (extreme modded Dac 3)
Made the cd-transport with an audiofriend as well.
please post picture we are very interested

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »

Hi Erik,  yes, please do share pics of your dac and transport with us.   There is another sub forum called "Other Dacs"  if you want to share the story about your Dac.

Let us know how you get on with the output cap shootout.   I'm still waiting for the Duelands to arrive,  havent done the comparo yet.   But the Audionotes are sounding very nice,  this dac is running in nicely !

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 03:57:00 AM »
Yepp, posted a link and a picture in "other dacs".

Today I made a kind of harness for the Duelunds...they are really the size of a hockey puck !!!
I am planning to stack the 2 Duelunds (see pic) in order to be able to implement them in case they top the Audio Note 0.47 Silver Foil/Mylar   ;)

For normal size dacs they seem like trouble.......but hey that is what it is all about...our DIY advantage :-X
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:00:50 AM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
2.2uf 400V VSF Copper Foil Duelands installed on the DAC outputs and running in.   Chunky buggers, in my chunky Dac case.

Too soon to call,  I'm using spare tubes to do the running in,  so no critical listening for another 50-100 hours.

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »
GREAT keep us informed  :o ;D

tuyen

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »
2.2uf 400V VSF Copper Foil Duelands installed on the DAC outputs and running in.   Chunky buggers, in my chunky Dac case.

Too soon to call,  I'm using spare tubes to do the running in,  so no critical listening for another 50-100 hours.

Super chunky! very cool looking ;)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »
I like what I hear so far.......   I'm not going to attempt to describe what I'm hearing, because I still have my backup tubes in the dac while running the Duelands in.   

But I'm really loath to turn the system off, atm,  am enjoying the music immensely.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
Well the 400V Duelands are definite winners on my system.   They're excellent, highly recommended.

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 05:11:11 AM »
Well the 400V Duelands are definite winners on my system.   They're excellent, highly recommended.

SAME HERE ....!!!!!

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
Been some changes made on the OzKiller in recent times.  

Cant remember if I mentioned, but it's now running a Taiwan double crown, which really seems to go well with my system.

Have removed the receiver chip, and am running I2S into it (thanks for the help Crazi).  It was seriously like removing a veil from the music, going I2S.  There's no going back now.

The rectifier has been swapped out with a u52,  what a nice change that was !!

Last weekend Steven came over, and we did some tube rolling of the output tubes (e88's).   Tried 3 different sets, and they all changed the sound.   1 set was quite dramatically different,  in that they hit a home run.   :o  Synergy !   ;D

In among all of that,  I swapped out my MF tube buffer, with a Burson buffer.   The Dac runs into Burson,  Burson into Lightspeed.    The Burson definetly sounds better on my system that the MF.   

I'm a pretty happy chap with the way the system is sounding at the moment.    8)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
I'm a pretty happy chap with the way the system is sounding at the moment.    8)
good news oz
rule number 1  if steve brings tubes over he is not allowed to take them back

tuyen

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
Great stuff oz.  Glad to hear you are happy with how your system is sounding :)

The move to I2S is eye opening isn't it. Having the signal bypass the receiver chip, a few caps and resistors and the improvements are quite noticeable!  Less is more!! (in this case anyway)

How does the sound differ if you remove the burson buffer and just have the KDAC into the Lightspeed?