Author Topic: Ozmillsy's KillerDAC  (Read 87154 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Ozmillsy's KillerDAC
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
How does the sound differ if you remove the burson buffer and just have the KDAC into the Lightspeed?
The music loses "weight",   it's thin.   Bass becomes abit loose to my ears.    Bass is tight and fast with the burson buffer in the loop.

The Lightspeed is not a good match for the Killer without a buffer in between,  IMHO - even George discourages it, on the basis of a poor impedance match.   But with the buffer in the loop,  it's great.   The Burson+Lightspeed option is working really well for me. 

The Burson appears cleaner than the MF to me.  The MF buffer has a "sound" that works in some cases - eg: I've used it behind the preouts of my receiver, and it improved things dramatically.   But for my 2ch music requirements, I feel it had a veiled effect. 
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »
More changes have been made to the OzKiller.  

We (the lone ranger and tonto, see below footnote at the bottom to explain this reference):
* re-arranged the Duelands and R/L outputs, and tidyed up the wiring runs to the Duelands in the process.
* added permanent I2S input rca sockets (which went nicely on the back of this amp case which had free socket holes available).

This was in preparation for the return of my hot-rodded CD94 from Danny Digital (the current cd94 in use, has been on loan, thanks Steven).

My CD94 is different to the one I've had on loan.   I didnt want exposed wires running between transport and dac (I have kids that like to play with things).   So DD put I2S rca outputs on the rear of the CD94.  He also added an internal buffer to drive the I2S outputs, this ensures a strong 5v signal that is capable of being run out the rcas, down short coaxial digital cables, and into sockets at the dac end. This wouldnt be advisable without the buffer,  as the i2s outputs that are tapped into on the player arent designed to drive anything but a very short point to point run.  

So now I have a nice tidy cable run of 3 x short digital coaxial cables between cd94 and dac.   Dac is now all closed up and safe from prying hands or bouncing balls.

DD also added my Burson clock, and included a external dc power plug on the case,  so I could power my clock with my external battery.   Very neat, no open wires running to external batteries.   CD94 completely sealed, and again, closed up from prying hands and bouncing balls.

DD did some other mods,  he disconnected the analog section,  and also did a power mod for the digital boards (which is supposed to clean up the power that is feeding those digital boards) - and some other bits and pieces.

Hooked up my CD94 (to the freshly modded Killerdac) tonight,  everything works as it should.

Havent listened at reference levels yet, I'm drawing no conclusions about whether there are any losses to this approach (versus the straight wire I2S option).     At this stage, I'm just happy I dont have to worry about the kids tugging on open air wires.

Will take some photos later. It's getting abit late in the day.

[footnote: re LR/tonto reference,  everytime I mentioned to SV that "we" can make a change here, and a change there - he puts on his best Tonto voice and says;
Quote from: tonto
what do you mean "we" paleface?!?  bahaha

Thanks again for your help Tonto,  and thanks to DD for his excellent work on the CD94.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:47:12 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »
now your talking business oz very interested to this approach seems very child friendly and a huge waf which is what my system is lacking big time
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »
Havent listened at reference levels yet, I'm drawing no conclusions about whether there are any losses to this approach (versus the straight wire I2S option).

Looking forward to the comparison Oz, mine used the same digital RCA connections as yours but I can't do comparison because this is the only CD94 I have.

A little advice for all CD94 users, never let the CD94 unused for a prolonged period of time, I left mine for about 4 months unused when I was away and because of this the rubber belts started to slip due to developing shape memory, I can't load CD automatically anymore because the tray keep ejecting, so now in order to load the CD I have to push gently the big white roller close the transformer (see pic).

DD says all I can try to do is to re-lube all the friction points and try another belt, I haven't got time to do it but I really hope my CD94 can operate normally again after the treatments.

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline rawl99

• Liked: 2
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
Havent listened at reference levels yet, I'm drawing no conclusions about whether there are any losses to this approach (versus the straight wire I2S option).

Looking forward to the comparison Oz, mine used the same digital RCA connections as yours but I can't do comparison because this is the only CD94 I have.

A little advice for all CD94 users, never let the CD94 unused for a prolonged period of time, I left mine for about 4 months unused when I was away and because of this the rubber belts started to slip due to developing shape memory, I can't load CD automatically anymore because the tray keep ejecting, so now in order to load the CD I have to push gently the big white roller close the transformer (see pic).

DD says all I can try to do is to re-lube all the friction points and try another belt, I haven't got time to do it but I really hope my CD94 can operate normally again after the treatments.

Cheers,
William

William,

I understand your experience with this.  I got a set of belts on Ebay from the USA which were supposed to a 'genuine quality' item.  I had many months of trying to sort out what I thought was a slightly sticky drawer mechanism etc.  I spoke with one of my Marantz wholesalers and they went 'Sure we have those belts'  so I got a set... and guess what... all the problems disappeared.  Works like a charm now with nice solid Marantz Tank-like action.  Amazing what the correct item will do.  Drop me a PM if you would like to try a set.

Cheers

Rawl

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »

* added permanent I2S input rca sockets (which went nicely on the back of this amp case which had free socket holes available).

I didnt want exposed wires running between transport and dac (I have kids that like to play with things).   So DD put I2S rca outputs on the rear of the CD94.  He also added an internal buffer to drive the I2S outputs, this ensures a strong 5v signal that is capable of being run out the rcas, down short coaxial digital cables, and into sockets at the dac end.

DD also added my Burson clock, and included a external dc power plug on the case,  so I could power my clock with my external battery.   Very neat, no open wires running to external batteries.   CD94 completely sealed

At this stage, I'm just happy I dont have to worry about the kids tugging on open air wires.

Hi Oz,

I did the same with my CD85 with the power supply to the clock.  I inserted a DC plug straight in where the original power cord fitted which became a useless hole after I installed the IEC socket. My CD85 is also completely self contained and just plug and play.  Oh how I hate loose Cat5 cable sticking out everywhere!!!

I too was thinking of adding some sort of plugs for the I2S but wasn't sure how to overcome the longer leads issue, which DD has.  My CD85 has the I2S leads all ready to go which was done by DD when he modded the PCB and removed the S1 chip.  My system had been pretty much been sitting all year due to lack of interest really.

I have a CD94 mkII sitting there and was going to sell it but if I can muster up some enthusiasm I may ship it to DD for a complete transport modification like you have done.  My CD85 is pretty damn good though which is why I haven't really had any interest in modding the CD94 mkII.

I'll look forward to seeing the pic's!

Cheers, flemo.   

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
Pics ......

CD94/Ozkiller  (clock battery pack sitting on top left side of cd94)

CD94 outputs  (battery pack fuzzed out in the foreground, sorbothane dome under 1 foot (these things really work))

CD94 internals (pink circle is the i2s output buffer)

ozkiller inputs (temporary cables in use)

ozkiller internal view (alot tidyer now than it was, duelands close to & directly connected to the output sockets).

closer view of the dac board

i2s pinout instructions for the receiver chip socket on the dac board (got this from crazi)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:00:46 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Very nice work Oz by the "team".

Your kdac has been very well constructed and finished.  It looks like a commercially made product and I mean that in the highest regard.  That's how I'd like mine finished, including the cabinet.  Once i get mine finished I'll probably buy a cabinet like yours and have a technician go through the whole thing to get that same quality internal finish as well.  I believe if sounds like a Killer then it should look like a Killer too!!

I'll have to post some updated pic's of my CD85, but apart from the I2S connections, and mine has the Kajak12 clock and massive vintage cap on the back, they are similar.  Of course DD had done an outstanding job on your CD94 including the mounting of the clock, which is something I need to improve on my CD85.

Is your clock standard or have the caps been upgraded/changed? I didn't see anything which looked oil filled or vintage?? :o

Cheers, flemo.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
Your kdac has been very well constructed and finished.  It looks like a commercially made product and I mean that in the highest regard.  That's how I'd like mine finished, including the cabinet.  Once i get mine finished I'll probably buy a cabinet like yours and have a technician go through the whole thing to get that same quality internal finish as well.  I believe if sounds like a Killer then it should look like a Killer too!!

Given the choice,  I'd go for a Killerflemo case.   :D    But I'm pretty happy with this one.    If I did it over again,  I'd have mounted the SPDIF input in the 4th spare hole on the back.   When we initially did it,  a Dueland was in the way,  which is why the spdif is now mounted near the left output rca socket.   

Is your clock standard or have the caps been upgraded/changed? I didn't see anything which looked oil filled or vintage?? :o

The clock is the next thing to do.   I'm running a stock standard Burson clock.    I'll be trying a Mariospecial at some stage.   Also looking forward to trying Zen's clock that is in development. 

On this player,  I also havent changed the power socket over to an IEC.   It's still standard.   I did the IEC mod on my 960.   

So, there are still things to do on the transport,  to try and squeeze some more performance out of it.   It's pretty good now though. 

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2011, 12:49:29 PM »
The Lightspeed is not a good match for the Killer without a buffer in between,  IMHO - even George discourages it, on the basis of a poor impedance match.   But with the buffer in the loop,  it's great.   The Burson+Lightspeed option is working really well for me.  The Burson appears cleaner than the MF to me.  The MF buffer has a "sound" that works in some cases - eg: I've used it behind the preouts of my receiver, and it improved things dramatically.   But for my 2ch music requirements, I feel it had a veiled effect. 

Gamve is very enthusiastic about the Truth pre-amp.  He thinks it bests a Burson and Lightspeed.  He was so enthusiastic about it I got one and its now on its way out here.  John Darko is going to review it but not for a while - he is evidently waiting on the NAKSA 100.  If you are amenable happy to send it down to check out prior to going to John.

Thanks
Bill

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
If you are amenable happy to send it down to check out prior to going to John.
Sure, that would be great.  Cheers

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 02:09:22 PM »
Oz, Thats looking really neat, nice work. How much did the Lone Ranger help? Ha Ha.
Thanks for posting the I2S instructions will be following suit once my unit is a bit more run in.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
Oz, Thats looking really neat, nice work. How much did the Lone Ranger help? Ha Ha.

The Lone Ranger kept coming up with bright ideas,  and Tonto was bemused saying "you dont realise how much work this is !!" .   What was intended to be a 2 hour visit, turned into 6+ hours.   Time flies.   Tonto was very patient, and I'm very grateful.  :)

Thanks for posting the I2S instructions will be following suit once my unit is a bit more run in.

No worries.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2011, 04:20:38 AM »

The Lone Ranger kept coming up with bright ideas,  and Tonto was bemused saying "you dont realise how much work this is !!" .   What was intended to be a 2 hour visit, turned into 6+ hours.   Time flies.   Tonto was very patient, and I'm very grateful.  :)

No worries.
What is this, we, white man

Offline YoungSC

• Liked: 1
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »

...He also added an internal buffer to drive the I2S outputs, this ensures a strong 5v signal that is capable of being run out the rcas, down short coaxial digital cables, and into sockets at the dac end. This wouldnt be advisable without the buffer,  as the i2s outputs that are tapped into on the player arent designed to drive anything but a very short point to point run.  

Hi Oz,

Looks good.  I'm planning on tapping in to the I2S from by Marantz CD63Mk2.  Could you let me know the following:

What buffer did you use?

Where did you supply the 5V supply and ground to the buffer from?

Is the ground for the I2S signal available from the ground connections on the RCA?

Thanks,

Simon

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
Hi Simon,

Dannydigital did all the mods,  I couldnt answer your questions I'm afraid.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
This week my custom made digital coaxial cables arrived.   55cm in length, which turned out to be just right (it was close).

I've dabbled with cable making, as per my other cable threads.  But with the arrival of our second, I just dont have the time available to experiment with cable making.   I found a SNA forum member by the name of Little Blue Penguin who makes very high quality cables at a reasonable price.  All my cables on the Killerdac are made by LBP,   the power cable, the rca interconnects, and now the digital cables.  

It was pretty good before, but after switching over the digital cables, I reckon it is sounding just sublime.  

Some eye candy.....

Highly recommended cables.  If you're like me and cant be bothered making your own,  and you'd like to give these a try,  you can contact Little Blue Penguin via PM on SNA.   I started a thread over there on his cables, here....
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/34700-Little-Blue-Penguin-Custom-Cables
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:01:10 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »
I should also add,   that I havent compared the new CD94 with buffered 5v i2s outputs,  to the loaner from SV with direct wire I2S.

I'm not going to.   :o  The new transport sounds soooo good,  I dont want to know if there is a difference.  :o  Sounds funny I know, but ignorance is bliss.    I simply cant have a direct exposed wire setup, and therefore I dont want to lust after it.   :-\

Apologies if anyone wanted to know the difference.   From my ignorant position, I believe the 2 solutions are as good as each other.   ;D

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
This week my custom made digital coaxial cables arrived.   55cm in length, which turned out to be just right (it was close).

I've dabbled with cable making, as per my other cable threads.  But with the arrival of our second, I just dont have the time available to experiment with cable making.   I found a SNA forum member by the name of Little Blue Penguin who makes very high quality cables at a reasonable price.  All my cables on the Killerdac are made by LBP,   the power cable, the rca interconnects, and now the digital cables.  

It was pretty good before, but after switching over the digital cables, I reckon it is sounding just sublime.  

Some eye candy.....

Highly recommended cables.  If you're like me and cant be bothered making your own,  and you'd like to give these a try,  you can contact Little Blue Penguin via PM on SNA.   I started a thread over there on his cables, here....
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/34700-Little-Blue-Penguin-Custom-Cables

Hi ozmillsy,

I really like the look of your new cables, they look very solid. I use 50 cm generic RCA cables and it's hideous! Thanks for the seller info, I might order some in the future when I get my other priorities sorted first.

The I2S comparo is a big dilemma, isn't it? I can't stand exposed wires as well...unless they all look like Nordost Odin  ;D or when I have my own shed  8)

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
I should also add,   that I havent compared the new CD94 with buffered 5v i2s outputs,  to the loaner from SV with direct wire I2S.

I'm not going to.   :o  The new transport sounds soooo good,  I dont want to know if there is a difference.  :o  Sounds funny I know, but ignorance is bliss.    I simply cant have a direct exposed wire setup, and therefore I dont want to lust after it.   :-\

Apologies if anyone wanted to know the difference.   From my ignorant position, I believe the 2 solutions are as good as each other.   ;D

Oz i admire your control in not changing back to the other transport i could not do it
looks professional oz just like a shop bought product
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time