Author Topic: Ming Da MC34-AB  (Read 116986 times)

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
Ming Da MC34-AB
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
Following the purchase of my ML1’s from Mario earlier this year, I set about rebuilding my system.

At that stage I was running a WFS ST-1000 power amp and a Melody P1688 Signature Pre Amp.  The Melody is a great preamp, however the WFS tended to be lean through the midrange.  Also, the value of my amps was considerably more than my speakers.

Following advice from a few of the other local guys, the decision was made to sell the WFS and get another tube amp (my initial amp had been an integrated tube amp).  A few different things had tweaked my interesting the Ming Da, then I contacted Mike Lenehan to get his comments on various amps.  When I raised the Ming Da, Mike advised that they had heard on running with the ML1’s with good results.  Following a demo on a different system, I committed to buying one and selling the WFS.

The Ming DA is an EL34 based amp, using 8 x EL34’s to produce 40 watts in triode mode and 75 in ultalinear.  The amp is also capable of running as an integrated amp and also a power amp.
My research had indicated that these amps responded well to mods and the first thing to do was to change out the 12AT7’s for something better.  Accordingly, I ordered a pair of Brimar CV4024’s and place them in the amp from the start.

Whilst the amp was still new, I tried it with and without the Melody.  To my less than acutely attuned ears, the system sounded slightly better with the pre-amp in, however I took the decision to sell the pre and put some of the money towards mods to the amp and the rest towards a standalone dac.  The aim being to ultimately develop a better sounding system, for similar overall money.

Soon after buying the amp, a fellow West Aussie posted enquiring about the MingDa and another amp.  As a result of the ensuing posts, I learnt that crazikid also had a MC34-AB.  Over the ensuing months, I took the opportunity to ask him many questions as to the mods that he had made.  Interestingly, crazi was getting guidance from Mario.

As some of you will be aware, flemo has now purchased crazi’s amp (the v8 Ming Da), so it is now not that far away from me.

To date, the changes I have made to my amp are:
i)   Changed the 12AT7’s as mentioned above
ii)   Changed the 6SN7’s for a pair of RCA BLACK PLATE Smoked Glass NOS 6SN7’s
iii)   Changed to the Speaker binding posts for SPC-858M-CU posts from http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=8&group_id=2&hit_cat=
iv)   Changed the power amp RCA’s for RCA-805F-CU also from vt4c.com
v)   Disconnected the power amp RCA connectors and relocated one of the other inputs to the new RCA’s.  This means that I now use the rear RCA’s as my main connectors and not the side RCA’s.
Changes planned for the future are:
i)   Have a case made up to house capacitors
ii)   Change out 8 electrolytics for Jensen electrolytics (hopefully these will be shipped in coming week)
iii)   Change out 4 capacitors connected to the 12AT7’s and 6SN7’s with bigger capacitors (probably Russian K40Y-9’s)
iv)   Bypass the input selector switch, so that all RCA’s other than the rear RCA’s and the selector switch are out of the circuit.
v)   Change the stock EL34 valves for Winged C’s
vi)   Maybe, change out the 8 capacitors that are connect to the EL34’s
Bottom line, this is a good amp for a modest price and there is plenty of potential to develop it into a very good amp.

I will post a few photo’s once the cap box is built and in place.

crazikid

Re: Ming Da MC34-AB
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
wow. v8 mingda part2.. cant wait. thanks for sharing murray!

Offline Braddles

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
Go for it Murray!!!!
I look forward to tracking your progress for my own future reference. (and selfish reasons)
Cheers
BC

PS. How have you found the changes that you have made so far? You have made a few new ones since i saw you last.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:05:51 PM by Braddles »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
Go for it Murray!!!!
I look forward to tracking your progress for my own future reference. (and selfish reasons)
Cheers
BC

PS. How have you found the changes that you have made so far? You have made a few new ones since i saw you last.
take your amp to flemo's and compare against the v8 supercharged ming da
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Braddles

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
I will wait to be invited i think. ;)

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
Hey Murray and Brad,

When my system is up and running and again we'll have to have a mini GTG and compare the stock amp to the V8!

I was very fortunate to purchase James amp so I'm not looking at doing any mod's for a while, if any!  I will look at mounting the Jensen cap's underneath the chassis so it's a self contained unit, and maybe add a timber surround to make it look like a more traditional tube amplifier. 

Cheers, flemo.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
I will wait to be invited i think. ;)
FLEMO WE NEED A INVITATION for brad so he can get hooked on diy and buy him self a soldering iron(xmass present from wife)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Braddles

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
Sounds good Pete. Ill wait to hear from you.
Other than some input valves mine is stock std and i would like to hear how much difference all the mods make. A fair bit from what iv'e read.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:50:01 PM by Braddles »

Offline mcb

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Go for it Murray!!!!
Cheers
BC

Hi Brad,

Good to hear from you again.

It will be an interesting project.  To be honest, I can't say that I can hear any differences since changing the RCA's and speaker posts, but I have no audio memory, and the least developed ear of all the guys that I have met.  If anything, at this stage, I think I my bad soldering is probably more of a handicap than a positive.  I will keep practising, but to date, every join that counts has been crap.  The practice ones are better.  The fact that the "real" soldering is in confined spaces does not help. 

When I transferred the RCA location, I had to extend some of the internal wiring.  Multiple cable joins is, I am sure, not a good thing.  This particular issue will be fixed when I bypass the input switch and other RCA inputs.

Eventually, I will probably get someone else to redo all my soldering, to get the best out of it.

I trust you are still enjoying your Ming Da.

Offline mcb

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »
Hey Murray and Brad,

When my system is up and running and again we'll have to have a mini GTG and compare the stock amp to the V8!

I was very fortunate to purchase James amp so I'm not looking at doing any mod's for a while, if any!  I will look at mounting the Jensen cap's underneath the chassis so it's a self contained unit, and maybe add a timber surround to make it look like a more traditional tube amplifier. 

Cheers, flemo.

Pete,

I think this would be a very worthwhile exercise.  It will give us clear idea or how much the cap mods other EL34's make to the amp.  The amps will be running different glass in the front row, though we could fix that quickly.

One other change your "V8" has, that I am not planning on, is that it has a different volume control.

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
To be honest, I can't say that I can hear any differences since changing the RCA's and speaker posts, but I have no audio memory, and the least developed ear of all the guys that I have met.
Your audio memory is still better than mine.

Repetition does help a tad here.. i.e. listen to the exact same song over and over and over and over again for several months... Drill that in the head. In time one can probably hear a difference.. As to whether the difference is better or worse, that's too hard for a noob like me :( .

Offline kajak12

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »
dont worry about soldering bad murray i still have bad soldering days a solder wick or solder sucker fixes bad soldering joints.

Offline Braddles

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
Go for it Murray!!!!
Cheers
BC

Hi Brad,

Good to hear from you again.

It will be an interesting project.  To be honest, I can't say that I can hear any differences since changing the RCA's and speaker posts, but I have no audio memory, and the least developed ear of all the guys that I have met.  If anything, at this stage, I think I my bad soldering is probably more of a handicap than a positive.  I will keep practising, but to date, every join that counts has been crap.  The practice ones are better.  The fact that the "real" soldering is in confined spaces does not help.  

When I transferred the RCA location, I had to extend some of the internal wiring.  Multiple cable joins is, I am sure, not a good thing.  This particular issue will be fixed when I bypass the input switch and other RCA inputs.

Eventually, I will probably get someone else to redo all my soldering, to get the best out of it.

I trust you are still enjoying your Ming Da.

Yes Mate im still happy with mine. Just finished moving house so havent been around much lately but we are in now and my new music room is pretty good.
Dont be too hard on yourself about your soldering. Good to see you having a go mate. I take my hat off to you for that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:52:44 PM by Braddles »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »

Bottom line, this is a good amp for a modest price and there is plenty of potential to develop it into a very good amp.

bottom line is after mods it wil be hard to beat this amp by commercial offerings available in australia

Offline flemo

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:21 AM »

Pete,

I think this would be a very worthwhile exercise.  It will give us clear idea or how much the cap mods other EL34's make to the amp.  The amps will be running different glass in the front row, though we could fix that quickly.

One other change your "V8" has, that I am not planning on, is that it has a different volume control.  [/quote]

Hi Murray, I agree mate certainly a worthwhile exercise, and free too so it's all good.

I think the volume pot upgrade could be quite significant with the one James installed, definetly not a cheapie!

Pete 

Offline flemo

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
dont worry about soldering bad murray i still have bad soldering days a solder wick or solder sucker fixes bad soldering joints.

Yes Murray if I can solder then I'm certain you will be able too!  Tonight I installed the Obbligato's and Jensen's in the KD, and tidied up the wiring with no drama's at all!!  Quite happy about it actually.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »
very true flemo the volume pot is a killer takman resistors
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/images/takman_steppedx2l.jpg  (the one on the left)
4 volume pots like that in wa that i know off

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
wow wow wow bang for your buck amp that is flemo i think you over paid and should pass the amp on to me.

shizer this is amp is a killer chinese special fried rice with a hint of chilli.
man can this baby run the ml1's move over jlti el34 their is a new boss in town and its a killer.
flemo if you ever need money i will take that amp of your hands (less for cash)

crazikid

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »
yes.. MD 34 AB is a very good amp.. with the mods - even better!

Offline flemo

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
Yes I must admit it seems to get better the more I listen to it. It has so much potential for future mod's too.  It also has great synergy with the kdac and ML1's.   It's well and truly a class above the Yaqin, in fact many amps I have heard!