Author Topic: Ming Da MC34-AB  (Read 116985 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Ming Da MC34-AB
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
Mario,

PS With the 10R resistors that you upgraded, would you expect further improvement if you used takman or the like?

Murray
the takman only comes in 1 watt i personally like using 5w for the bias you could get a el34 go troppo and it will blow your bias resistor.So at 40c each for wire wound resistors from jay car is no big deal as to the sound i have no idea
ps:jaycar wire wound resistors is what i use in my amp

WRT blowing bias R, that's not a bad thing - it can save your OP transformer.

T

funny you should say that joe rasmussen said the same thing to me a few years back one day i will try 1w and get back to you regarding sq
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
Hi Mario,

Have you made any more progress with Ming-Da mods?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
Hi Mario,

Have you made any more progress with Ming-Da mods?
so far so good mcb more like music compared to when i first got it.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Flemo's ming da is magical with the right tube combination and parts (caps,resistors,wiring)
Any body reading this in perth if you would like to compare any valve amp up to 15k bring it on the mindgda is ready
ps:flemo you will be one happy chappy

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 01:17:43 AM »
Any body reading this in perth if you would like to compare any valve amp up to 15k bring it on the mindgda is ready

Is that including your killer EL34 amp?  :D
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
the el34 killer amp is custom made a bit unfair for the mingda.the 15k mark should apply to commercial amps.i will compare with killer el34 in th future mingda with tube rectification is something that should be looked into.

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 11:56:10 PM »
Flemo's ming da is magical with the right tube combination and parts (caps,resistors,wiring)

Good to hear you're still enjoying listening to it and modding it.  It will be interesting to hear it in my room once I get my system sorted.  8)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2011, 12:02:37 AM »

Good to hear you're still enjoying listening to it and modding it.  It will be interesting to hear it in my room once I get my system sorted.  8)
who says you getting it back?
have you got any proof its yours?

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 12:11:18 AM »

who says you getting it back?
have you got any proof its yours?

Haha funny mate!  I think there's a sh*t load of pic's I put on the forum showing a very distinct "dropbox", could be all the proof I need!!  :D

Offline mcb

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
Thanks for the update.

It will be interesting to have a listen when (if!) flemo gets it back.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:06 AM »
Another modded Ming-Da, very nice, mcb  8)

Re: Bias resistors.
In my El34 amp i changed from the original wire wound 5w/10r, to 5w/10r Kiwame and found a little less grain in the sound, then I changed them to 2w/10r Kiwame and it sounded a little better again......less constricted maybe?
YMMV as synergy plays a part as we all know :)

Though the move from a 5watter to 2watt was to safe guard the transformers, maybe should go to 1watt?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:41:07 PM by data »

Offline mcb

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »
Thanks for your  comments data and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  My amp still has the original bi-pass resistors in it.  I have bought the wire wound ones that KJ12 linked to, but have not installed them.  A bit of a challenge for my dodgy soldering.  I am will be getting KJ12, to do some work on mine, to bring it closer to flemo's (remove the input selector, triode/ultralinear switch etc) and will probably get him to put them in at the same time.  I have just read flemo's comments on the chokes.  I am going to have to hunt down a pair of these chokes. to spec's generally unknown.  KJ12, you will have to get back to the guy who built your amp, to see if can advise what they are.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
Thanks for your  comments data and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  My amp still has the original bi-pass resistors in it.  I have bought the wire wound ones that KJ12 linked to, but have not installed them.  A bit of a challenge for my dodgy soldering.  I am will be getting KJ12, to do some work on mine, to bring it closer to flemo's (remove the input selector, triode/ultralinear switch etc) and will probably get him to put them in at the same time.  I have just read flemo's comments on the chokes.  I am going to have to hunt down a pair of these chokes. to spec's generally unknown.  KJ12, you will have to get back to the guy who built your amp, to see if can advise what they are.
Paul had them for years he cant remember anything about them besides being about 10h,mcb speak to earl weston acoustics he make you some chokes to order and also use the wire you specifi

Offline kajak12

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Another modded Ming-Da, very nice, mcb  8)

Re: Bias resistors.
In my El34 amp i changed from the original wire wound 5w/10r, to 5w/10r Kiwame and found a little less grain in the sound, then I changed them to 2w/10r Kiwame and it sounded a little better again......less constricted maybe?
YMMV as synergy plays a part as we all know :)

Though the move from a 5watter to 2watt was to safe guard the transformers, maybe should go to 1watt?
The mingda had metal film resistors in the bias for el34's,when borrowed flemo's amp i noticed a metalic sheen to the sound so i changed them to wire wound and it was gone i also use them in my amp.I have been also informed about having lower rated resistors for the bias to protect the transformers i will take my chances

Offline mcb

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
Paul had them for years he cant remember anything about them besides being about 10h,mcb speak to earl weston acoustics he make you some chokes to order and also use the wire you specifi

Thanks for the tip KJ12.

Offline data

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2011, 04:17:42 AM »
Murry is it?
I'm just wondering about the improvement from the Ampohm aluminum foil & oil caps?

They are coupling the first two stages, are they not? hmm..three stage amp huh?

Just wondering what they are like, what they sound like? :)

Also, what (1uf) caps are you using between the second and final stages ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:30:58 AM by data »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »

Does anyone have an LCR meter? I'm looking to buy one but it seems that Jaycar does not have it anymore, suggestion please?

Thanks,
William

Offline data

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:13:27 PM by data »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Thanks data, I found another one which is cheaper: http://www.techtronics.com.au/p/104817/TEST_EQUIPMENT_MULTIMETERS/NoBrand/Q1156.asp

The Agilent looks better and more reliable though...

Offline data

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »
A lot! cheaper, nice  :)

You might be right, one thing I have found with a normal multimeter, is that the cheaper ones are very hit & miss with some readings, particularly when measuring things in-circuit  :(

Although the LCR meter you linked is neither dirt cheap, nor crazy expensive so might be fine  8)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:47:47 PM by data »