Author Topic: DIY Copper Interconnects - mk2  (Read 36610 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: DIY Copper Interconnects - mk2
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »
Yup been there, just don't tell your missus.
You also get 100 % shielding from the thin wall copper tube and the best part is its relatively cheap.

There is a product available from RS and Farnell which is a 50R RF connector available in 1 mtr lenghts, only problem is the central conductor is steel with a silver coating, a high end UK manufacturer used to use it.  It still makes an excellent DAC to Transport link for low bucks.  You have to bend it to shape, avoiding kinking it.

As for a speaker cable, well it can overbalance the bottom end in a poorly damped bass but the detail is wonderous ;).  I have also tried silver tube but now its getting expensive.

IMOO, yust my view, opps forgot, this is not SNA.
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
any more details on this aircon piping? It is a solid copper pipe or is it the copper braiding/insulation around a flexible tube? do you have any photos of it as I'm very curious to try it

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Agree with omodo, I'm also curious to try aircon pipe, more info about where to get them please...
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
Good day fellow hifi Dudes
It is the refrigerant feed pipe found in coils, small bore and approx. 4mm OD, it has a thin wall and is the normal OFC copper (well all copper is OFC if the truth be known but it’s a marketing hype thing).  It needs to have an insulated central positive conductor fed through the centre and then soldered (or better screwed down) into the RCA's.  No dielectric needed for the tube, only the central live connection and if you use magnet wire with its enamelled coating, hey presto it goes through the tube really easily.  Low friction PTFE sleeve heat shrinkable has been used as has cotton.  The last time I made these was 10 years ago at least and it helps in really noisy (EMF etc) areas with lots of taxis etc cluttering up the airwaves.

I actually prefer to use these as speaker connections due to the super low resistance and large surface area.  It can really tighten up the bass nicely for beer money, the two conductors would need to be air gapped in this application and there are plastic clips designed for this sort of thing.  Not being in the know locally regarding suppliers I am guessing that a plumber’s supply would be the go for sourcing it.  From memory it came in 20mtr reels (smallest) but that was back in the UK.  The diameter allows it to be screwed down directly into the majority of speaker terminals and amp output further saving additional cost on dafty connectors which just add to the general mess of most hifi designs where a wire is a wire!

I and many others compared this at club shootouts and it aced some very expensive jobbies indeed.  Best application was DAC to transport which surprised me as 75 ohm was supposed to be the ultimate but I guess when you really look into it most RCA plugs and sockets come out nearer to 20 ohms characteristic impedance so not matched properly anyway.  I will dig the camera out later and take some piccies.  In the meantime just buy the 50R microwave rigid and try it, the steel inner can bring a bit of steeliness to the sound but in a lazy valve setup can actually make it sound considerably faster would you believe.  Experiment and have fun, that’s what this hobby is all about.

I fell off a roof today helping a mate out so typing one figure mode, ouch bloody ouch.
IMO IMV IMOO my experience and that of others, just to keep the SNA wonderful persons happy.

Vitavoxdude
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
It is the refrigerant feed pipe found in coils, small bore and approx. 4mm OD, it has a thin wall and is the normal OFC copper (well all copper is OFC if the truth be known but it’s a marketing hype thing).  It needs to have an insulated central positive conductor fed through the centre and then soldered (or better screwed down) into the RCA's.  No dielectric needed for the tube, only the central live connection and if you use magnet wire with its enamelled coating, hey presto it goes through the tube really easily.  Low friction PTFE sleeve heat shrinkable has been used as has cotton.  The last time I made these was 10 years ago at least and it helps in really noisy (EMF etc) areas with lots of taxis etc cluttering up the airwaves.

I actually prefer to use these as speaker connections due to the super low resistance and large surface area.  It can really tighten up the bass nicely for beer money, the two conductors would need to be air gapped in this application and there are plastic clips designed for this sort of thing.  Not being in the know locally regarding suppliers I am guessing that a plumber’s supply would be the go for sourcing it.  From memory it came in 20mtr reels (smallest) but that was back in the UK.  The diameter allows it to be screwed down directly into the majority of speaker terminals and amp output further saving additional cost on dafty connectors which just add to the general mess of most hifi designs where a wire is a wire!

I and many others compared this at club shootouts and it aced some very expensive jobbies indeed.  Best application was DAC to transport which surprised me as 75 ohm was supposed to be the ultimate but I guess when you really look into it most RCA plugs and sockets come out nearer to 20 ohms characteristic impedance so not matched properly anyway.  I will dig the camera out later and take some piccies.  In the meantime just buy the 50R microwave rigid and try it, the steel inner can bring a bit of steeliness to the sound but in a lazy valve setup can actually make it sound considerably faster would you believe.  Experiment and have fun, that’s what this hobby is all about.

I fell off a roof today helping a mate out so typing one figure mode, ouch bloody ouch.
IMO IMV IMOO my experience and that of others, just to keep the SNA wonderful persons happy.

Vitavoxdude

THERE WAS A CABLE MANUFACTURER THAT SOLD THAT KIND OF CABLE, I THINK THE MODEL WAS CALLLED ALTO, DO YOU REMMEMBER THE NAME OF THE COMPANY. I remember cogan hall.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »
It is the refrigerant feed pipe found in coils, small bore and approx. 4mm OD, it has a thin wall and is the normal OFC copper (well all copper is OFC if the truth be known but it’s a marketing hype thing).  It needs to have an insulated central positive conductor fed through the centre and then soldered (or better screwed down) into the RCA's.  No dielectric needed for the tube, only the central live connection and if you use magnet wire with its enamelled coating, hey presto it goes through the tube really easily.  Low friction PTFE sleeve heat shrinkable has been used as has cotton.  The last time I made these was 10 years ago at least and it helps in really noisy (EMF etc) areas with lots of taxis etc cluttering up the airwaves.

I actually prefer to use these as speaker connections due to the super low resistance and large surface area.  It can really tighten up the bass nicely for beer money, the two conductors would need to be air gapped in this application and there are plastic clips designed for this sort of thing.  Not being in the know locally regarding suppliers I am guessing that a plumber’s supply would be the go for sourcing it.  From memory it came in 20mtr reels (smallest) but that was back in the UK.  The diameter allows it to be screwed down directly into the majority of speaker terminals and amp output further saving additional cost on dafty connectors which just add to the general mess of most hifi designs where a wire is a wire!

I and many others compared this at club shootouts and it aced some very expensive jobbies indeed.  Best application was DAC to transport which surprised me as 75 ohm was supposed to be the ultimate but I guess when you really look into it most RCA plugs and sockets come out nearer to 20 ohms characteristic impedance so not matched properly anyway.  I will dig the camera out later and take some piccies.  In the meantime just buy the 50R microwave rigid and try it, the steel inner can bring a bit of steeliness to the sound but in a lazy valve setup can actually make it sound considerably faster would you believe.  Experiment and have fun, that’s what this hobby is all about.

Vitavoxdude

Thanks for the advice Vitavoxdude, will try the speaker cable first as soon as I get the chance. Sorry to hear about the mishap, hope you'll feel better soon, take care.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:11:36 AM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline qwerter

• Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_jupiter.html

here you go diy people try this wire in cotton(copper) great wire i use some in my killer
Have you tried this wire for interconnects?

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 11:54:59 PM »

here you go diy people try this wire in cotton(copper) great wire i use some in my killer
i run it from my analogue board to rca's in my killer dac i use lenehan interconnects flat copper wire
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline qwerter

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »

i run it from my analogue board to rca's in my killer dac i use lenehan interconnects flat copper wire
Suppose one wants to make interconnects with this wire, would you use x3 braided? I would like to try wire in cotton, how would you recommend to use it?
Thanks.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »

Suppose one wants to make interconnects with this wire, would you use x3 braided? I would like to try wire in cotton, how would you recommend to use it?
Thanks.
2 runs for +
2 runs for -  (braided

or 2 runs for + and 1 run for - 
try the above also they come in different gauges that will also change the sound
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline qwerter

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 01:13:13 AM »

Thanks.
2 runs for +
2 runs for -  (braided

try the above also they come in different gauges that will also change the sound

Do I have to separately shield + and - ? Or just shield the whole thing?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 01:42:48 AM »

Thanks.
2 runs for +
2 runs for -  (braided

Do I have to separately shield + and - ? Or just shield the whole thing?
try with shield and without my interconnects are not shielded

Offline qwerter

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »

Do you use solid core or stranded wire?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

Do you use solid core or stranded wire?
solid core

Offline qwerter

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
Where do you guys buy Eichmann plugs?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »

Offline qwerter

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
The plan for my second set of interconnects, going abit more upmarket with this set. 

* Eichmann plugs (copper type)
* Solid Core copper wires with doubleshielding x 3, braided (1 +'ive, 1 -'ive, 1 drain)
* WBT 4% Silver solder
* Aluminium (foil), for additional shielding.  Undecided, really not necessary, with the drain wire?
* Heatshrink, for additional insulation.  Undecided about this. 
* Mesh cover, to glitz it up.  It's some Nylon/Copper based mesh, purely cosmetic.
* Length- 2m.
Did you end up making this set? What is your impression on using 1mm wire for interconnects?

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
Did you end up making this set? What is your impression on using 1mm wire for interconnects?
I havent used the Eichmans yet.   Havent gotten around to it.

I've got a set of interconnects in the system, that I made using 1mm solid core wire.   I like them.   But I'm keen to experiment with other (thinner) copper wire.    I've been buying some wire off ebay,  but it's always coated in a fine film and needs to be stripped on the ends -which I find a pain.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
It's been freaking ages since I made a pair of interconnects.  I've been buying cables from Little Blue Penguin (SNA), which sound very good.

But my neotech wire arrived today,  and I had some time on my hands.   

I'm using 24AWG neotech,  2 strands twisted, 1m, with Yarbo copper connectors.   Here's a couple of shots of my latest creation,,,,

Half completed interconnect, with the neotech wire exposed;

Completed set;

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
The 24awg neotech interconnects have been running in continuously on my squeezebox for 3 days.   Just put them on the killerdac to ligthspeed connection, and unfortunately they have not hit a home run.    The top end is more pronounced than my penguin interconnects.

A few things;
- could be my dodgy workmanship
- could be the yarbo connectors
- my room has a tendency to the bright side,  any change that leans in that direction is immediately noticed.

I might change the connectors, as these yarbos are too freaking tight for my wbt's.