General HIFI > Amplification (Pre/Power)

"To Pre or not to Pre" Question is driving me nuts!!

(1/10) > >>

gamve:
Have been struggling with the pre amp issue for more than a couple of years now. Have had some luck with passive pre amps but only when driven by a decent phono stage, CD always seemed dry and lacking drive without a good active preamp. Like most here have been looking at the optical light dependant resistor volume control type passive (well no gain anyways). Having some luck here but still have to build my Lighter Note kit. I am currently testing another unit, see http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?topic=141.0. This unit is really starting to grab my attention.
The competition to the passive is this knock off of the Japanese Audio Note Kondo line stage. This thing sounds pretty good, bloody should as well the components cost a small fortune. Shinko resistors, Vcaps etc. My main problem is I have tons of records, CD's, R2R tapes, cassettes etc and I need a lot of inputs. I am destined to go the Killerdac route but this issue is giving me the shiezer!s. Anyone else in the same boat?

Power supply

tuyen:
That preamp does look good gamve.  Such expensive caps there yet still using a alps blue volume pot (nothing wrong with them, but they are cheap compared to the rest of the components) ?  

Dont worry, the killerDAC works great with passives :)   Tested and proven so far!!    In saying that, I guess it depends on the input stage of the power amp..  but so far, no complaints from any owners that I am aware of!

Here's a link to some internal shots of the KONDO M7 Line/Phono preamp
http://tubeguru.hu/audio_tube_amplifier_SE/KONDOs_M7_line_+Phono.html

And here's a link to TubeGuru.Hu's professional level preamp which he believes matches the performance of the Kondo. (he also has access to Kondo's Ongaku and Kondo Niero amplifiers and has made reissues of them.  I find his work really impressive).
http://tubeguru.hu/audio_tube_amplifier_SE/Prof.preamp.html

kajak12:
i use a alps blue in my amp and its a killer it all comes down to synergy in ones system everything plays a part its a matter of trying diffrent parts until magic happens

gamve:
The Alps Blue has no sonic signature in this pre. The volume is controlled by a shinkoh resister on the grid of the 5687. All of the signal goes through this resistor. The alps is paralleled across the shinkoh and changes the value of the shinkoh resistor changing the value hence the volume...very clever.

tuyen:
Very true Mario. Your system definitely has the magic!   And true the price of the component doesnt matter.  Just like how I much prefer my stepped attenuator which uses $1 takman rex carbon resistors   over  the bloody expensive ($20 per resistor) vishay z-coil naked metals!  (on my system).

Damnit, I don't understand the concept of how paralleling the shinkoh with the pot will make it so the signal doesnt go thru the alps pot!!  Does the volume change in steps or is it gradual(ie. like turning the alps pot)?   Is there any advantages (theoretical or practical) in this design over using a stepped attenuator with individual resistors for each level?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version