Author Topic: "To Pre or not to Pre" Question is driving me nuts!!  (Read 34954 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: "To Pre or not to Pre" Question is driving me nuts!!
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
My passive is sounding very good, and gives me a switch,  which I can't live without.

I don't think I'd ever be a single source guy.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
Or am I missing something?
I like to try new things in life and generally prefer the bang for the buck type of things  :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »
I see I see.  In which case, zenelectro's suggestion of his tweaked volume controller inside the dac would give you best bang for buck!?   will give you best sound quality possible for dac into the power amp too!  Or is that how you are currently using it now?

Ps. I know what you mean by liking to try new things in life. Lol
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:00:06 PM by Tuyen »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Yes, in general volume pots sound better with the KillerDAC. But, it's just a volume pot. No valves....  :D  Also, I would like to have a second (or even third) output to connect to the bass amp. My comment about bang for buck is for comparisons between different preamps  ;)

I just realised the Velvetizer does not have valve regulated power supply, asked Bruce if it's possible to get a valve regulated power supply. Still waiting.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 06:42:09 PM »
Hey Will,

Any further thoughts on the 300B Velvetizer preamp by Bruce?     Or has it been crossed off the list due to no valve rectification?  :)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »
Hi Tuyen,

It's still a prototype so not for sale yet (I think). But yeah, I kinda lost my interest because of the solid state rectifier.

Cheers,
Wil

Offline donberry

• Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
as far as just pre or no pre, I went thru a period where I experimented with and without preamps. I tried it without a preamp for a week, allowing me time to get used to the different sound.  It could just very well be my ears are used to a certain sound which isn't actually that accurate as you would think adding a preamp is just adding more circuits for the signal to have to go thru etc, but for my earsI thought the preamp-less sound was 2 dimensional, it didn't have the layering, texturing etc that I was getting with a preamp.
Then I picked up a Conrad Johnson pv2ar preamp and it took my system to a whole new level and to be honest, I never thought I would own a system that sounded this good.
I have been to a persons house that had some really nice albeit vintage totl gear and he wasn't t using a preamp .Listening to it I was not really that impressed, was pretty much the same as my experience without a preamp, the music just sounded lifeless.

Don't see how a preamp does it (I am taking decent preamps of course) and I wouldn't consider my one small test indicative, but for me, besides the ability for more connections, I just really prefer the sound of a preamp.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
I think the drive preamps can give is a factor, needing to much of a step up in gain often means a preamp can be better.  I have tried many preamps including my CAT (Convergent audio technology) and in all cases they take away from my (you are there focus and realism) and add a little smear and veil. Where the singer is like real, now there is a slight artificial haze, with a preamp my system it is just good HIFI. One caveat is, i do have valve output on my KDAC, you could say that is like a mini preamp.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:23:12 PM by stevenvalve »