Author Topic: bhobba; NAKSA  (Read 38160 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: bhobba; NAKSA
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
OZCAL how is it? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
Hi guy's I have Bell's Palsy , which is a type of temporary facial paralysis. So apart from looking like I have had a stroke my hearing is affected and everything sounds horrible.
If any of the regulars want to pick up the amp for audition just pm me and I will confirm the loan with Bill.
Gordon
Listening with my ears :)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
Hi guy's I have Bell's Palsy , which is a type of temporary facial paralysis. So apart from looking like I have had a stroke my hearing is affected and everything sounds horrible. If any of the regulars want to pick up the amp for audition just pm me and I will confirm the loan with Bill.

Hi Gordon.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope you get well real soon.  As long as you or Mario is happy with it anyone that wants to try it out is welcome.  But if no one wants to put up their hand then it might be time to send it onto Alan in Bunbury - that is of course providing no-one wants to buy it in the mean time.

Thanks
Bill

crazikid

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2010, 12:37:33 AM »
gee... bill...

nice to see your gonna upgrade to the big bro naksa...

how much for the naksa70?

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
gee... bill...

nice to see your gonna upgrade to the big bro naksa...

how much for the naksa70?
$1400
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

crazikid

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2010, 12:57:28 AM »
bargain to be had by someone

Offline bhobba

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:24 PM »
bargain to be had by someone

I think its a fair price.  But if no one puts up their hand to check it out or buy it I have no problem with OZCAL keeping it until he is well enough to check it out.

Thanks
Bill

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »
I was able to pick up the Naksa amp this arvo from from Gordon and just got it set up to the kdac, CD94 CDT, and Gale 402's. I'm currently running the Naksa through the preamp of a vintage Nakamichi receiver kindly on loan from Wolster.

I'm trying hard to quantify the sound as I still have the memory of the V8 Mingda and ML1 Ultra's in my head, so going to the Gale 402's with a SS pre & power amp is somewhat different, it takes some getting used too!

My initial impressions are that it drives the Gales quite well, plenty of grunt with control and balance. It's quite clean, detailed and lively.

It will take a while for my ears to adjust to this new sound (SS & Gales) as I am used to that liquidity and effortless richness of tubes with the synergy of the Ultra's with those wonderful Duelund caps. 

The Naksa has a dynamic and punchy presence but IMO it would be worthwhile hearing the Naksa with a built in volume pot, therefore removing the preamp all together so I can gauge the potential of this amp.

I hope to have my Accuphase amp up and running soon so it would be interesting to compare them both driving the Gales.

Thanks for the opportunity to listen to the Naksa Bill.  ;)

Cheers, flemo.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
The Naksa has a dynamic and punchy presence but IMO it would be worthwhile hearing the Naksa with a built in volume pot, therefore removing the preamp all together so I can gauge the potential of this amp.  I hope to have my Accuphase amp up and running soon so it would be interesting to compare them both driving the Gales.

Hi Flemo

Thanks for checking this amp out.  I too believe it would work well with a passive pre-amp like a light-speed - even the designer Hugh thinks it would be good that way.  I will be using its big 100W brother with a PDX which has a built in light-speed.

Take your time checking it out.  Hopefully Gordon will be feeling better soon and can check it out when you are finished.

Thanks
Bill

crazikid

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
ok.. i'll chime in.. my naksa has been playing for a few hours since i've assembled it.
i bought this amp to power my altec's which i'm still waiting on the baffle.

So i fired the naksa up with some cheap speakers i have..and boy - i'm very impressed by it. The very best of solid state that i have heard. smooth and engaging. Aussie made! i'd love to hear the 100's.

i'm using a alps 20k volume. on friday a takman 20k arrived from the uk (i have used this before in the mingda v8). i'll give it a few more hours before adding the attenuator.

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
ok.. i'll chime in.. my naksa has been playing for a few hours since i've assembled it.
i bought this amp to power my altec's which i'm still waiting on the baffle.

So i fired the naksa up with some cheap speakers i have..and boy - i'm very impressed by it. The very best of solid state that i have heard. smooth and engaging. Aussie made! i'd love to hear the 100's.

i'm using a alps 20k volume. on friday a takman 20k arrived from the uk (i have used this before in the mingda v8). i'll give it a few more hours before adding the attenuator.

Did you get the 70w or 100w version?

I must admit, based on the comments from Mario, Pete and yourself, if I was looking for SS, this is where I would start.

crazikid

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »
70w version..
the 100w has just been released. Plus i dont need bundles of power for my high efficient altecs.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2010, 08:55:27 AM »
Hi Guys

Just letting you know I have sold my NAKSA in preparation for getting the 100W version a bit down the line.  The guy that is buying it has not finalized the purchase so no need to ship it off yet - just letting you know that will be following shortly.

Thanks guys for checking it out and all the trouble various people went to give others the opportunity to hear it.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:14:40 AM by bhobba »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »
Bill,  congrats on the sale, and well done for sharing it around.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »
Hi All

Could whoever has got the NAKSA please contact me to make arrangements to send it to the person that has purchased it.  I think its Flemo who I will also send a PM.

Thanks
Bill