Author Topic: Accuphase Transistors Wanted!!  (Read 5787 times)

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
Accuphase Transistors Wanted!!
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
Calling all those with knowledge and contacts in sourcing vintage transistors.  8)

I had a mishap with my Accuphase E205 amp, which was nothing to do with DIY or modifying it, and as such I need to replace a couple of resistors still to be identified and 4 x transistors.

My main concern is obtaining replacement parts for a 25 year old amplifier.

The attached pic hopefully provides the info for the transistors which I'm chasing.

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers flemo.  

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Accuphase Transistors Wanted!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:52:13 AM »
Calling all those with knowledge and contacts in sourcing vintage transistors.  8)

I had a mishap with my Accuphase E205 amp, which was nothing to do with DIY or modifying it, and as such I need to replace a couple of resistors still to be identified and 4 x transistors.

My main concern is obtaining replacement parts for a 25 year old amplifier.

The attached pic hopefully provides the info for the transistors which I'm chasing.

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers flemo.  

If you haven't already found them, WES components has these.

cheers

Terry

Offline flemo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
The good news is the parts have finally arrived and I may have it back tomorrow!!  ;D

Looking forward to hearing it with the Gale 402's! 8)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:00:38 PM »
Great news Pete
Listening with my ears :)

Offline flemo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
Yes I finally have the Accuphase back and running.

TBH I found it underwhelming compared to the modded Mingda.  The system wasn't sounding how I remembered it and knew there was going to be some adjustment on my part but bugger me it was pretty ordinary.

Anyhoo the battery I was using to power Mario's CD94 transport died.  I haven't charged it in neary 2 months so it was a bit remiss of me.

I then remembered I had my CD50 sitting there and had recently installed Mario's DIY KajakAudio Killer clock and set it up to be powered with my 12v cordless drill battery for something different, but hadn't got around to trying it.

I plugged in the CD50 and bam!!! The love was back!!!   ;D

It turns out the Accuphase and CD50 have really good synergy, and really make the Gales come alive. It seemed the CD94 washed everything out and flattened it.  In fairness, the CD94 had been tuned to ML1's so I guess it could be tuned to the Gales.

It's still a different sound to the Mingda  :P  and yes there are trade off's, but it's not all one way traffic either.  The Accuphase has given the bottom end more control and top end resolution without thinning it out.  

It'll take me a while to settle down with it before I know which direction I'm doing with my system.

Damn Tuyen and his poxy ML1+R Ultra's!  Still can't get their sound out of my head!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:40:42 PM by flemo »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »
that amps looks really good flemo its a vintage killer
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
Pete,

Good to see that you have the Accuphase back and that it is now delivering the magic.  I can just imagine your reaction when you first plugged it all back together and the magic did not happen.

I must admit, I would not have thought the CD50 could deliver better than the CD90.  It just goes to show how critical having all the parts in the chain correctly matched is.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
it doesnt deliver better then the cd94 it just ads colour to make the gales sing
the resolution of the cd94 will not be replaced by the cd50
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time