Author Topic: EL84 SET tube amp  (Read 35011 times)

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
Re: EL84 SET tube amp
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
Just hooked up the Music Reference ML10 into my system....... :o these amps are a fantastic match for the ML1 series speakers.
Easy recommendation for anyone starting from scratch for a great system base

Pair Lenehan ML1 Ultra
Pair Ribbontech Speaker cables
Pair Ribbontech IC's
Music Reference RM10 PP EL84 amp

You should get change from 7K ....great start.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:45:12 PM by gamve »

tuyen

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
Thanks for your recommendation gamve  and  for the link crazi :)

After more googling and reading, I come to realise an EL84 SE circuit with valve power rect stage is actually very basic (ie. I could understand alll the parts that are needed as shown on the circuit schematic and put it together myself).

I found a DIY design that is meant to be very good.  When I have a chance, I'm going to price up a parts list for an amp to see how much it will cost.  If it is substantially lower then say $1000  for the parts I want to use,   I'd be keen to go ahead with building one! (or 3).

Detials are here: http://www.tubeaudio.8m.com/RH84/rh84.html

RH 84 SE

Any  thoughts?

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:12 AM »
Hi, didn't I link that schematic/design once before? definitely the way to go...

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?topic=119.msg1735#msg1735

tuyen

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:46 PM »
My apologies, you did too omodo! Thank you!!

tuyen

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
I know what caps, resistors I want to use.

Not familiar with transformers and maybe pre-made chassis available online though. Any recommendations?

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
I actually ordered some transformers from Electraprint for this amp, and another 45 circuit I wanted to try, a while back but haven't got  round to building it yet (the OPTs would also be suitable for a 6EM7 amp as linked above if you ever wanted to try one). I can give you the specs I ordered if you're interested - mainly for the PT, the OPTs are just the standard 5k:8 ohm option, but I'd need to dig them up.

Not sure about chassis, maybe a cheap hammond folded metal case to see if you like the amp, and/or try a few circuits and not care too much about butchering it?

tuyen

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 06:53:12 PM »
Nice DIY made amp using the above design

In my non-technical way I’ll try and explain what it has. The power section has a locally made custom built power transformer, filament transformer and a choke. Ordinary 100uf 450V electrolytic capacitors are being used. Each of these capacitors has a Russian capacitor (K40y-9 / .01uf) as a bypass capacitor. There is a Zener diode being used as a voltage regulator. In the amplifier section all resistors used are Kiwame & Mills (also in the power section). Some where in the input section there are also Allen-Bradley and Shinkoh resistors). Cathode bypass capacitors are Black Gates and coupling capacitors Mundorf Silver & Oil. The output transformers are Hashimoto. The input tube is a 5687 and the rectifier is a RCA 5V4-G. I am presently using BEL EL84 tubes.

At some later date I would like to change the ordinary 100uf electrolytic capacitors being used in the power section to something better. Any suggestions – space is an issue – have just about 2 inches clearance. Also, could someone recommend an ultra low noise Zener diode (6.8V, 0.5 or 1 watt) and where can it be purchased. To introduce a U/L mode I need a 2-deck, 6-pole rotary low current switch – can anyone help.

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
Sanjiv Sahgal

Info taken from http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1797&sid=d2276ea8a9b69164e83e15366d5cdd54&start=15

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
Yeah...Like that. 5687 driver is a nice idea. Really like this very linear triode. Looks like nice component choice, should sound great.

tuyen

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »

same RH 84 design but on a cheap aluminium (hammond $20) 12x8 case.

Looks good in my eyes. nice and neat. :)

tuyen

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
the guy didnt like the wiring on the driver stage so he rebuilt it!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/tubes-valves/135180d1244657737-rh84-finish-layout-037.jpg
(i can see he uses cat5 in certain bits too :) )
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:44:11 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
tuyen, you've inspired me - i might start my rh84 build this week.

while the input stage wiring in those pics looks impressive, very 3d pipe/screensaver inspired, I think it would be better to wire most of the circuit between the tube sockets instead of having long flying leads, and the associated inductance, to resistors - grid stoppers (especially), cathode bias, coupling caps, etc.

tuyen

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »
Great stuff omodo!

I'm putting together a required parts list now with link to online store and price (for the specific brands I want to use).

I'll post it when I'm done :) :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »
tuyen, you've inspired me - i might start my rh84 build this week.

while the input stage wiring in those pics looks impressive, very 3d pipe/screensaver inspired, I think it would be better to wire most of the circuit between the tube sockets instead of having long flying leads, and the associated inductance, to resistors - grid stoppers (especially), cathode bias, coupling caps, etc.
hello omodo could you tell me what will long flying leads do to the sound?
i have heaps of technicaly minded people talking about it yet none ever answered me how will it affect the sound out of the speaker
or anybody else could give me an answer which i have been looking for a long time?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:24:28 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 09:46:09 AM »
grid stoppers are used to prevent oscillation in the tube, and should be placed as close as possible to the tube pins, this is widely accepted practice (done in your dacs)
re the cathode resistors, as it's directly in the signal path I would follow the less is more principle and minimise the number of solder connections from cathode to gnd.
on quick glance it also looks like he is doing the pentode/triode connection (g3 -> k) on the tag strip instead of directly on the tube socket, potentially adding a nice long wire (antenna) for RF pickup.

as to how it affects the sound, who knows it probably sounds very good..

the contruction method he used is nice and neat, no doubt inspired by the tektronix of yesteryear, but if you have a quick search for images you will find they connected any critical resistors directly to the tube pins, and kept lead length to the very minimum.

quick google search:

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:22 PM »
thanks omodo for reply at the end of the day it what it sounds like and if we hear RF pick up by a long lead is yet to be heard by a simple test.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time