Author Topic: Marantz CD85  (Read 28458 times)

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
Marantz CD85
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
I purchased this CD85 a few weeks ago to convert into a dedicated transport.  When I received it from the UK I was really impressed with its build quality and wasn't sure if I had the heart to pull it apart and modify such a lovely machine.  

I used it for a couple of weeks as a transport in stock form with the kdac. It was smooth sounding with wooly or bloomy bottom end and lacked topend resolution.  It had good midrange weight though.

As a stand alone CDP it was quite nice, again very smooth and weighty bottom end but lacked topend resolution. I can see why many people pursue these older, vintage CDP's and 'generally' use them to help roll off the harsh topend and add midrange weight when combined with modern hi-fi speakers and SS amplifiers. In my situation I had enough smoothness and midrange, and I certainly wasn't looking to loose any topend detail either.

After I made the decision to modify the CD85 it came apart quite easy.

tuyen

Re: Marantz CD85
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
Oh that Q selection S1 chip will be so lovely in your kdac. :)

Offline flemo

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:00:21 PM »
The first thing I did was remove the PCB with the S1 chip and sent it to Daniel in NSW to remove the chip (for my kdac) and add IC sockets for the clock upgrade.

The next thing I wanted to do was remove the power cord and install an IEC socket, but not without removing the entire rear panel first.  I have enough bad luck without going looking for it!

The other problem was locating the IEC where the existing cord was attached. Unfortunately with the fuse holder and voltage switch taking up too much room there's no way it would fit.  I have 2 x options, either mount the socket in the middle of the rear panel or entend the rear panel slightly with a timber block and fit the IEC in the same position as the cord?  Still not decided.  ???

Offline flemo

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Oh that Q selection S1 chip will be so lovely in your kdac. :)

I hope so mate!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:26:22 AM by flemo »

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
Pete you could always look at removing the voltage selector and just have it fixed on 240v and pop the iec in there.
Listening with my ears :)

tuyen

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Good idea Gordon.

Took some pics of that mod done on my cd94

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
oh yeah, fuse has been bypassed. eek  :-X

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:08:58 AM »
get rid off the green wire and put the blue wire to the iec  socket ;D
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline flemo

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Pete you could always look at removing the voltage selector and just have it fixed on 240v and pop the iec in there.

Hi Gordon, yepp I considered that too but was hoping to retain some of the original features of the unit, but it may be the best solution.  ;) 

Offline flemo

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »
Okay so with removing the voltage selector, does the unit default to 240v, or is there some electrical work required to re-route or bypass the wiring?   ???

Thought I'd attach a pic of the bottom of the unit with the outer chassis removed.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
Is this a goodun? Marantz CD85
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »
Just picked up a CD85 for $300.00. CDM1 Mk11, S1 chip. Looks similar to a CD94.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Is this a goodun? Marantz CD85
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »
flemo got one he sent it to danny digital for a make over

thats fukin cheap
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline gamve

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:18:49 PM »
I figured make it a dedicated transport S1 goes into my KD. Whats the S1 chip worth?

tuyen

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
good buy gamve! S1 chip is worth $200-300.

Free CD85 basically :)

Offline gamve

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
Ohhhhh...Nice  8)

Offline flemo

Re: Is this a goodun? Marantz CD85
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 09:24:08 PM »
Just picked up a CD85 for $300.00. CDM1 Mk11, S1 chip. Looks similar to a CD94.

Well done gamve, an absolute bargain.

Offline gamve

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
The CD85 turned up in the mail yesterday and I have just hooked it up for a listen. It is in great condition overall for a player of this vintage, sadly no remote but. Sounds pretty reasonable as well for a standard player. Anyone after one for a dedicated transport? I'm going to pinch the S1 DAC chip (if it is in fact what it is supposed to be fitted) for my KD. Danny Is working on my CD960 so I don't really need this player. Could send it to Danny to have the chip removed then it could be converted to a transport at the same time.

Offline flemo

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
I received my modded CD85 PCB back from Danny a couple of days ago where he carefully removed the S1 chip, configured the PCB so the clock connects directly to it, and added the wiring for I2S.  He did a fantastic job, his workmanship is of a very high standard. 

Not sure when I'll be able to have it up and running, hopefully soon.  Looking at giving to Mario to compare directly with his CD94 running I2S so we can see how close or far apart these machines are.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
oh yeah, fuse has been bypassed. eek  :-X

A word of general advice - don't bypass fuses - it's not a very smart idea.

If you don't like the pcb mounted fuse, use an inline fuse from Jaycar or Farnell.

There are dozens of mods you can do to transports to improve performance that will make
way more difference than removing the fuse.

Terry

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
I received my modded CD85 PCB back from Danny a couple of days ago where he carefully removed the S1 chip, configured the PCB so the clock connects directly to it, and added the wiring for I2S.  He did a fantastic job, his workmanship is of a very high standard. 

Not sure when I'll be able to have it up and running, hopefully soon.  Looking at giving to Mario to compare directly with his CD94 running I2S so we can see how close or far apart these machines are.

WRT your clock connection - that long length of cat5 to connect your clock to (brn+whi) is not really the best idea.

Try and make the clock connection as short as possible. I've directly compared two aftermarket clocks in the past and
the length of connecting wire ended up being the main difference between the better and worse clock. Once the wires were
both the same (short) length there was not much between them.

Simple details like this will make more improvement than for example, bypassing a fuse.

Terry