Author Topic: brimar 5u4g  (Read 4511 times)

crazikid

brimar 5u4g
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:13 AM »
i picked up another NOS brimar 5u4g black plate/brown base from ebay. though it arrived today rattling like a kids rattle. put it in my DAC and it doesnt light up.
unfortunately i'm still getting my system together so i cant test with it in my system. waiting on the seller to get back to me.

any advise? have i bought an expensive rattle/dud tube?

tuyen

Re: brimar 5u4g
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
Never heard of people repairing tubes before but I hope it is possible for your sake!

My sophia mesh 300B tubes had loose bases and rattling sounds when u move it around.  I was told I could glue the base onto the glass which I did and its stuck now. But the rattling noises still is there.  They both work fine though.

That's all the experience I have had with loose base tubes ..

I do notice with my brown base u52 it doesn't light up very bright at all.. can only see a bit of light at the top of the filament. During daytime, I probably wouldn't be able to notice if it is lit at all.   Have you tried touching it to see if the tube is warm at all?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »
i picked up another NOS brimar 5u4g black plate/brown base from ebay. though it arrived today rattling like a kids rattle. put it in my DAC and it doesnt light up.
unfortunately i'm still getting my system together so i cant test with it in my system. waiting on the seller to get back to me.

any advise? have i bought an expensive rattle/dud tube?
The tube is finnished, send it back to the seller and get a refund

crazikid

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
the tube in question...

thanks steven.. your the bearer of bad news. As soon as i opened it i had a feeling it was cactus. Came packed very well - from an ebayer with 10k feedback.