Author Topic: Teac VRDS  (Read 7408 times)

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
Teac VRDS
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
Anyone have any experience/opinions on Teac VRDS transports, such as VRDS 10, 25, 25X, 50, etc

Offline georgehifi

• Liked: 0
Re: Teac VRDS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:01:51 PM »
As per your PM to me.

Great machine, killer top end VRDS transport. The KSS151A is one of the best laser ever, magnetic drive no gears, I think i still have a brand new one somewhere, and yes worth lots of cash as they are very rare. As for the dac in the 25x also a killer as it has 4 x AD1862N in it, one of the best mulitbit old school dacs you could get, with a bit of work on the anolog output stage, could be made to sound real good.
Cheers George   

Offline Hens

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
I've got a p700 and it does a fine job. It doesnt have the drama of the ce tl1 but I still think it sounds great.

If I was going high end vrds I might have a look at the wadia 2000 (I think thats the right model number)

Offline georgehifi

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
Yes I have a mint Wadia WT2000S even better than the WT2000, 2 box transport with option AT&T glass connection the best way of conecting to the mint Wadia X64 dac I have also, which also has the optional AT&T (it was a $2000 extra from the factory to have the AT&T on both ends) total in it's day over $20,000aud.
It sounds very very good, the X64 dac has the latest French Curve programing and the very powerfull Sledgehammer output board. This is why I have the spare KSS151A, but the one in the WT2000S is perfect plays anything burnt or scratched, a very good laser. Both up for sale if anyone has the cash. Weight of the 3 units must be close to 30-40kg
Cheers George

Offline Hens

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
How much are you looking for the w2000s out of curiousity?

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
thanks George, out of curiosity whats your opinion on the newer Esoteric SA-50/SA-60 units compared to the older Teac VRDS when used as transports, and as standalone players

Offline georgehifi

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
How much are you looking for the w2000s out of curiousity?

I will only sell the complete setup WT2000S + power supply and the X64 dac and original Wadia AT&T glass cable + a faster better sounding again higher quality AT&T cable of later more modern construction. And of course the new boxed KSS151A laser as one day in the future it will be needed. PM me and I'll give you the price.

Cheers George

Offline georgehifi

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
thanks George, out of curiosity whats your opinion on the newer Esoteric SA-50/SA-60 units compared to the older Teac VRDS when used as transports, and as standalone players

I have not had a chance to see one inside myself but from what I've been told by other techs they are not as mechanicly solid in the transport/laser section, and I really don't like the sound of today delta sigma dac's. I perfer a well implemented 16, 18 or 20 bit mulitibit dac. I find the multibits of old far more engaging than the newer gazzilion time upsampled oversampled delta sigma dacs, they measure well but lack excitment. Their dynamic range measures higher yet they don't sound as powerfull and dynamic as mulitbits, therefore don't engage me as much. And don't even worry about bitstream about as exciting as a wet blanket, but smooth, Delta Sigma is said to be half bitsteam and half multibit.

Cheers George     

Offline omodo

• Green tinted glow
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
George,

thanks for the good advice and insight. I think I'll wait for another suitable VRDS-25X or 50 to come up and skip the X- line of esoterics, including the older X-25/X-30 which are also delta sigma (the beginning of the RDOT range). Unfortunately the 25X I was about to pull the trigger on was sold to someone else overnight.

Thanks