Author Topic: resistors  (Read 40075 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: resistors
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
Make sure you have a bucket of water for when they arrive, at that price there might be some 5 finger discount involved!
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
I guess you guys are dying to get a link.......I will try to find something on the internet.
I bought it from my friend in his audioshop I will ask him as well... ;)

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
Just one question, was the resistance and current rating the same for both units and was the mH the same?
Thanks Erik
V

They were exactly the same (as much as possible) 5H and we even used the Tango in variuos ways from 2.5H upto 10H.
The way the Tango was built (the TC range) we rackoned it should have been far better TECHNICALLY (resonance peak) ans AUDIBLY...but a big NO

The AudioNote was cold and hard in comparison.

Next week I wiIl have another possibility to test another Tango 5H this time winded with thicker wire....so let us see.

I also have a Parmeko Transformer (not bought yet) it will be part of a Transformer shoot-out in a later stage.

I am suddenly not keen anymore to spend 500 euro's on a Tango Transformer and 200 euros on the choke....if you know what I mean.

Brandnames only tells you that quality and technology is good...NOT how they sound in your system. I still learn everyday  ;D

The U52 tube is 250 euro's but that was money well spent.....it completely killed the GZ37 (and that is NOT a bad tube to say the least) in my setup.

I am spamming the resistor topic :o.....mods go ahead no problem...

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
I ordered these promising resistors of Vishay the naked version Z-foil.
Two of 150 ohm for my dac....over the weekend I will let you know...

Offline PET-240

• Liked: 0
  • looks alot like hard work.....
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »
Also apparently the Neohm no inductive wirewounds from RS are pretty good too! Have read one comparison that reckoned the vishays were a bit dry and clinical, while the neohm's added back warmth. This may also has been because the vishays didn't get time to burn in.
Just one more thing........

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
As usual it is like cooking.....in your testreport which resistor did the Vishay Z-foil replace...i guess that could be of importance to find out.

In the coming days i will implement them, i must admit that i cannot myself experience a burn in factor with resistors such as I do with caps... To me they "sound" good or less good straight away ;)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2012, 12:40:30 AM »
Sweet, Eric!

Been wanting to try those myself, but yet to order some.

Looking forward to ya' findings/impressions  8)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:42 AM »
 ;D Vishay resistors come in several different types including the naked ones. VSRJ and the cheaper VSH can be readily found; they come with varying temp coefficients and tolerances from memory. As they will effect the sound less than most other same power rating resistors I can recommend them in feedback loops around opamps (ouch), used in output stages compared to normal half watt metal films they as way ahead in bass clarity and timing compared to many others.  Unfortunately they only seem to be available in low wattage's or else they would be more widely applicable.  I believe they have less smear too bringing more HF detail.

It's really hard to believe that such a benign device can make soo much difference so I encourage you to experiment.  Apparently the computer nerds will be using resistors to store data much like current RAM so this proves the 'memory effect' that many suffer from, less so with the slit foil Vishays.
V ;)
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2013, 03:07:57 AM »

These handmade babies easily outperform my favorite Naked Foil Vishays...In the cd transport SPdif

The King is dead, long live the king... 8)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:30 AM »
Are they resistance wire, rapped around something so the wire does not touch together. I have made them like that, but only in small values up to 500R.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:54:21 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:40 AM »
Ik get the idea that they are made different....

I bought them of Jaroslaw who runs studio Zey with handmade natural materials...so right up my alley  8)

www.studiozey.com

Very painstaking work so not cheap but once heard a no-brainer...

0.125watt anything up to 10k

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:24:20 AM by Erik van Voorst »