Author Topic: resistors  (Read 40057 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: resistors
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
Agreed

But look how many resistors are in an average product and it all gets very expensive all too easily hence why manufacturers use 0.5 cent rubbish.

What??? A $50 resistor??? Are you guys smoking crack???  Still think this is funny for a manufacture to put on thier webpage, well done guys!
V

Looks like a nice air cored inductor to me  :)

tuyen

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
What about these ones?

http://www.ecdesigns.nl/components

High performance handcrafted wirewound Mobius / Honeycomb I/V resistor for use in TDA1541A DAC module. Resistor offers low noise due to high wattage, is non-inductive (Mobius loop) and has low self capacitance (Honeycomb winding pattern). Resistor is also non-magnetic and wires can be soldered straight into the PCB (minimum losses).

Only $77US each!

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
What about these ones?

http://www.ecdesigns.nl/components

High performance handcrafted wirewound Mobius / Honeycomb I/V resistor for use in TDA1541A DAC module. Resistor offers low noise due to high wattage, is non-inductive (Mobius loop) and has low self capacitance (Honeycomb winding pattern). Resistor is also non-magnetic and wires can be soldered straight into the PCB (minimum losses).

Only $77US each!

That's much better!   :)

T

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
Anybody any experience with the brand new type graphite/silver resistors of Duelund...
Besides that they are black color they are twice the price of the already good ones...

Only Partsconnexion seems to sell them...not even visible on the Duelund website... ???

I am quite interested in the 1.8 Ohm version approx. 10 Watt... ;D
I have tried these. They have silver lead out wire. Thats a worry. Sound wise it was not my first choice.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
Anybody any experience with the brand new type graphite/silver resistors of Duelund...
Besides that they are black color they are twice the price of the already good ones...

Only Partsconnexion seems to sell them...not even visible on the Duelund website... ???

I have tried these. They have silver lead out wire. Thats a worry. Sound wise it was not my first choice.

They would probably be a bit clean / lean / clear for your taste, I would imagine something like a vishay bulk foil.

Looking at the rest of EC's system it's quite a departure from how you are doing it. A lot of what he does is very radical,
he's a very non conventional thinker (for better or worse). Sometimes it works, sometimes i'm not so sure. 

AFAIK he's using straight copper, no silver.

What type did you evaluate / what value?

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »
Another interesting DIY resistor, made first for cathode then for I/V
http://diyparadise.com/forum/index.php?topic=1269.msg13072;topicseen#msg13072

tuyen

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
wooo.. that is true hardcore diy style.  Very interesting :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
thats really cool i must try some diy resistors  ;)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
thats really cool i must try some diy resistors  ;)

By all means do it but you have to wind them non inductively. To do this it must 'wind back on itself'.

IOW, say you need 2m of wire, the 1st 1m is wound in one direction then the 2nd 1m is wound back the opposite way.

T   

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »

So what is the first choice then Steve??

Come on we are waiting with baited breath!!!
v
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline skippyboy

• Liked: 0
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
Inspired by this site i found this.
http://www.dhtrob.com/projecten/dhz_weerstand_en.shtml
Could be just the ticket for that exact value.
Rob
(no i am not dhtrob)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:57:55 PM by skippyboy »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 12:48:18 AM »
Inspired by this site i found this.
http://www.dhtrob.com/projecten/dhz_weerstand_en.shtml
Could be just the ticket for that exact value.
Rob
(no i am not dhtrob)
I have made my own resistors. but only small values. I used resistance wire put through corrugated cardboard worked very well. Sounded better than what i could buy.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
Listening with my ears :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
Hi Gordon ;D

No, not tried them. :-X
0.3 of a watt power rating excludes them from  a lot of uses for what most valve owners would want, whilst they resemble the body of  bulk foil Vishay VSRJ's they are not made in the same way so whilst they may improve on your average quarter watt metal film resistors there are alternatives out there which may sound better.  The data sheet talks of a wound resistance element, shame they are not higer powered as the price appears reasonable. I have used Vishay resistors with sucess before but they are considerably more expensive, if you do try them please report back.

According to Audio note the Vishay resistors do not produce the same musical rendition probably due to being essentialy 'colourless without distortion' unlike carbon and tantalum resistors.  I have just purchased some tantalum and carbon resistors along with some Dueland resistors to install into the DAC so will see how they compare to whats already there.  I was surprised to find the Tantalum resistors (2w) weighed considerably more than the Allen Bradley carbons resistors.  The Duelands are of a different construction all together but have really decent lead out wires unlike the gunged up (oxidised) tants and AB's.  See image.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi V , will be interesting to hear your findings.
The Squaristors will be for use as dicrete IV resistors so I guess the .3w rating should be a non -issue.
The Shinko ,tants sound better than the internal resistors on the universal valve stage .
Will grab some of the AB's at some stage and do my own comparo.
Cheers,
Gordon
Listening with my ears :)

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
A while ago I experimented with my resistors in the speakers.

Not the value...that was painstakingly achieved in the past but the materials and brands.

First the Kiwames were winners each parcel 2.7 Ohm and later the Duelunds.
The Duelunds were very hard to find in that value and they vary like crazy.
First they had a deviation of +/- 5 percent (written on it) later on even 10 percent ....+/- !!!!!!!!

I contacted Duelund and they argued that it was simply the way they had to build them....you have
lo live with that.

Some shopguy I know wanted to measure a whole batch to get exactly 2.7 Ohm and succes !!!!

They were far better than the Kiwames...but no need to tell you that any deviation from the 2.7 Ohm
makes comparing resistors in a filter considerably difficult if not impossible.

BTW careful they break easy...

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
Tubes and carbon resitors.........for me a match made in heaven...once you listen to the difference it is incredibly easy to forget the perfect specs of the others.... 8)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
Glad to hear it Erik. ;D

As you'll have read, the white coats c/w osilloscopes don't always come up with the goods with the modern metal film and other 'perfect resistors' is a view shared here by some. :-X

Once the resistors are in and broken in I will report back.
What's your view of the tantalum resistors?  Have you tired these also? ::)
I was surprised in the more than double the weight of the carbons. ???
V

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
Nope I have no experience with them besides taking one tantalum out of the dac  ( was part of its design) and learned to live with the increased output/volume level.....the result was stunning.

Unfortunately that does not give any info ...besides that the best resistor is no resistor  :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:14:42 AM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
Where abouts was the tant resistor excatly?  If it altered the level was it the I to V position or to ground across the RCA's?
Thanks
V