Author Topic: Level 2 PDX  (Read 21776 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Level 2 PDX
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 02:23:16 AM »
bill thanks, this tweaked marantz is i2s out or spdif? Would be quite interested in the comparison of the el cheapo.

It was a mid level modded transport using SPDIF - not close to the full house modded transport with I2S I have heard which is drop dead good.  Make no mistake the cheap DVD player will be a step down - the question though is how would it compare to your typical CDP at the same price point.  I think it will still sound better based on experiments I have done with other DAC's - but we will find out.

Thanks
Bill
Bill some DVD players may be good, you need to do some homework. Anyone know of a good cheap DVD player for a transport that cuts it. All the ones i have heard are rubbish.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:25:35 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »
Make no mistake the cheap DVD player will be a step down - the question though is how would it compare to your typical CDP at the same price point.  I think it will still sound better based on experiments I have done with other DAC's - but we will find out.
Bill, that's quite a task you've set youself.  I imagine the list of cdp's you will use to make this determination is huge.   

I'm interested to hear more.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »
Bill, that's quite a task you've set youself.  I imagine the list of cdp's you will use to make this determination is huge.   I'm interested to hear more.

You aren't whistling Dixie.  I am hoping people will bring down some CDP's when they check out the PDX.  I also know Mike has heard some CDP's recently as have I such as the Cambridge Audio 840.  Anyway will keep you guys updated about what we find out.  However for people contemplating buying a PDX I think this is something important to know - should you get a PDX and a cheap transport or a CDP and use it as a transport to upgrade to a PDX later.  I will leave the cheap transport down at Mikes so people can check it out.

Thanks
Bill

Offline Drew

• Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
CA 840C is one of the most over rated CD players on the market IMO.  In fact pretty much everything that CA make is overated......

I've heard plenty of CD players in this price range and TBH I find it staggering that anyone would enjoy the CA!!  It sounds harsh and artificial on every system I've heard it on.
“Idealist: One who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup”

Henry Louis Mencken.

crazikid

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »
wow..snap.... :P

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
wow..snap.... :P
and its not kajak12 this time  :D
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
CA 840C is one of the most over rated CD players on the market IMO.  In fact pretty much everything that CA make is overated......I've heard plenty of CD players in this price range and TBH I find it staggering that anyone would enjoy the CA!!  It sounds harsh and artificial on every system I've heard it on.

Actually thats close to my recollection as well.  I nearly bought one before I heard it.  I think we can be reasonably assured the PDX even driven by pretty modest stuff will sound better than that.  Other players will probably be a bit tougher to crack.

Thanks
Bill

crazikid

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
bill i congrat you for your dedication in finding the ideal partner to the pdx.....
let us know how you go with the cheapy vs other more 'expensive' dvd/universal players....

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 04:24:37 AM »
CA 840C is one of the most over rated CD players on the market IMO.  In fact pretty much everything that CA make is overated......

I've heard plenty of CD players in this price range and TBH I find it staggering that anyone would enjoy the CA!!  It sounds harsh and artificial on every system I've heard it on.

Never heard CA 840C but I have the overrated Dacmagic in my bedroom and I agree with your comment, harsh and artificial, on top of that I can't hear any differences between transports...I thought I was deaf!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:27:23 AM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
Never heard CA 840C but I have the overrated Dacmagic in my bedroom and I agree with your comment, harsh and artificial, on top of that I can't hear any differences between transports...I thought I was deaf!
Try the CDC-TL1 on it,   it was night and day difference between my Oppo dvd and CDC into my Dacmagic  (and the Dacmagic has a buffered de-jittering and re-clocking stage).    The fluidity the TL1 gave, was a very nice combination with the Dacmagic I thought (the was no edginess at all).

Never heard the 840C, but it can now be had for $1.3k - so it's the wrong price point to compare anyway.

Bill,  you seem to be suggesting that you'll be making comparisons of DVD+PDX, to your recollections of higher priced CDP's.   Hmmm, that's abit flawed.   You'd have to at least hunt out something with an impeccable reputation for the comparison to be in any way meaningful.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
bill i congrat you for your dedication in finding the ideal partner to the pdx.....let us know how you go with the cheapy vs other more 'expensive' dvd/universal players....

Thanks mate.

The ideal source for the PDX will not be a modest DVD player - the issue is are you better off starting with that and a PDX than a similarly priced CDP and upgrading to a PDX later.  And yes what I plan to do to check it out by not getting a heap of CDP's and comparing is not optimal but really doing that is out on practicality grounds.  I will do what I can.  I have zero doubt plenty will point out the flaws but IMHO it is better than nothing.

Thanks
Bill

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
Try the CDC-TL1 on it,   it was night and day difference between my Oppo dvd and CDC into my Dacmagic  (and the Dacmagic has a buffered de-jittering and re-clocking stage).    The fluidity the TL1 gave, was a very nice combination with the Dacmagic I thought (the was no edginess at all).

Never heard the 840C, but it can now be had for $1.3k - so it's the wrong price point to compare anyway.

Bill,  you seem to be suggesting that you'll be making comparisons of DVD+PDX, to your recollections of higher priced CDP's.   Hmmm, that's abit flawed.   You'd have to at least hunt out something with an impeccable reputation for the comparison to be in any way meaningful.

Most DVD players have a master clock of 27mHz to run the video section.

Usually the audio clock (11.2896Mhz or so) is generated from that 27mHz master clock... how's your division skills :)

There are various ways to do it but none are as good as a nice 11.2896 fixed clock fed by a good LN supply.

Then there's the extra processing induced noise from the video section - it's not hard to see why they are NFG as a transport.

cheers

Terry

Offline kajak12

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
new look for pdx   also a pcb will be used soon in the pdx
different colours are available  WATCH OUT KILLER PDX IS COMING
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Hens

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »
So did we ever get a price list? haha.

Also, does anyone know what tube Mike is using in the rectification stage?

Be keen to listen to a 1704uk based dac with a good tube output stage. (nudge nudge wink wink anyone in Perth that has one)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
So did we ever get a price list? haha.

Also, does anyone know what tube Mike is using in the rectification stage?

Be keen to listen to a 1704uk based dac with a good tube output stage. (nudge nudge wink wink anyone in Perth that has one)

i will get one sent down when mike completes his order book,new pcb boards arrived last week to speed up the process of manufacturing.one day their will be a kajak12 signature edition
the pdx level 2 does not have valve rectification i dont think pdx will ever have in the near future
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:43:38 PM by kajak12 »

Offline Hens

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »
fair enough. i wonder if any pdx owners have rolled their 6922s I'm sure there would be a lot to gain over the stockies.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
fair enough. i wonder if any pdx owners have rolled their 6922s I'm sure there would be a lot to gain over the stockies.
your 110% right hens mike uses gold lion 6922 :'(
a lot more can be done with the pdx just wait untill i get my hands on one ;)

Offline kajak12

Re: Level 2 PDX naked version
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »
The level 2 pdx naked version
priced at $3800 including i2s
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:39:37 PM by kajak12 »