Author Topic: great amps on the web  (Read 83461 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: great amps on the web
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »
Yeah I remember Murray had the top of range Melody preamp!  Sometimes I wish he still had it, would love to try it on my system now :)

I agree T , I thought the Melody was a great pre. Had it in my system a couple of times and felt it was an upgrade form the Supratek as it was at the time.
You didn't like the Melody, Mario?
Nah no melody for me it was missing melody needed work imho
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
Yeah I remember Murray had the top of range Melody preamp!  Sometimes I wish he still had it, would love to try it on my system now :)

I also thought the Melody was a great pre.  I bought the MingDa to replace a WFS class D power amp.  As the MingDa could be run as either a power amp or integrated, I was able to run it with and without the Melody pre.  I actually thought the system sounded better with the Melody in (no mods to the MingDa at that stage), however I decided to sell the Melody to: i) get some money back out of the system; and ii) to reduce the box count.

Offline kajak12

still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2013, 01:32:59 AM »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2013, 01:35:22 AM »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »
Hmmmm, my little eye still spies what appears to be standard 3 leg voltage regulators, now if you want me to take this seriously............................................
And where is the AC voltage transformer, outboard no doubt.  :-X
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
This should have great timber  :P

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
Hmmmm, my little eye still spies what appears to be standard 3 leg voltage regulators, now if you want me to take this seriously............................................
And where is the AC voltage transformer, outboard no doubt.  :-X
V

At the moment very into tube voltage regulation...once heard you never want to touch a transistor or a zener in your life..it simply robs you from listening to music...full stop  8) :o ;D

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:09 AM »
JUst finished changing out the coupling caps in my Cary V12 amp.  I have been meaning to do it for almost 6 months or more.  Now they are finally in.  A fiddly job as the original caps were much smaller if an inch longer.  Lifting the 80 odd pound Cary is a task in its self these days.  So after triming the long legs of the caps to length and clearing out the mounting eyelets the wire ends were formed into a mechanical joint prior to using the electric glue  (solder) for hopefully a gas tight seal.

Double check insides for any snipped off pieces of wire then back on with the base plate.  Hook up all connectors, throw the mains switch and allow heaters to stabilise and then the B+ and ....................silence which was a huge relief.  I have to say soldering Duelands makes me sweat more than any other cap.

So what are they like, well right off the bat they are much clearer than what went before them, its possible to discern individual clapping now in an audience and the strands of music stand out more without the previous blurring.  All in all a nice if expensive uplift which I can recommend.  Did I mention the price, no, well that's best left not to dwell on for too long, ouch comes to mind but it faded from memory as I bought them last year.

Below is the picture of the two caps for comparison, the Dueland soundly thrashes the standard cap and kicks sand into its face gloating, you've got to love these pieces of art because that's what they can bring as many others on the forum (particularly Mario and SV) have attested to.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »
Thoughts on this amp?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
No picture tuyen

Offline omodo