Author Topic: great amps on the web  (Read 83477 times)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
Re: great amps on the web
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
If you cant setup a system at a hifi show dont show it to the public,other managed way better in smaller rooms no excuses

I thought they all sounded poor mate.  None of the rooms were up to a standard I would be satisfied with.  Some were obviously better than others.  I would not have bought a single thing from the show based on what I heard.  Personally I don't think you would have said it sounded good even if it did (I didn't think they sounded great at the show). 
If i ever hear sgr sound like music you will be the first to know
Well Mario , that's an interesting point , you like me have never had SGR in the house so it would be interesting to hear how the sound driven by a cd 94 and kd. We might all end up being surprised.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline Drizt:)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 07:52:58 PM »
Well Mario , that's an interesting point , you like me have never had SGR in the house so it would be interesting to hear how the sound driven by a cd 94 and kd. We might all end up being surprised.
A wise response ;) 

One must have an open mind and not be closed off by their preconceived ideals.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
If you cant setup a system at a hifi show dont show it to the public,other managed way better in smaller rooms no excuses

I thought they all sounded poor mate.  None of the rooms were up to a standard I would be satisfied with.  Some were obviously better than others.  I would not have bought a single thing from the show based on what I heard.  Personally I don't think you would have said it sounded good even if it did (I didn't think they sounded great at the show). 
SS won't do what a great valve amp does many tried and none have done it surely after 30+ years in the game you would know that by now
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
I thought they sounded poor at the hifi show myself Mario.  But I'm smart enough not to judge a system based on a hifi show ;)
nothing wrong with the room it was the best room of the show i guess measuring didn't help either in this case i have heard sgr twice so for me its not up to speed

There were no measurements taken in that room kajak.  They were plonked down without any measurements or trial and error.  They are two big and two heavy to be moving around the room to find the best location.

I would question the purpose of putting them in the showroom in the first place. Perhaps that just showed us that the manufacturer didn't really care about how they sounded because look was more important? The excuse that they're too big and heavy is not a good one, they are selling thousands of dollars worth of speakers, surely they could afford a crane or anything that helped to move them around?

Oh yeah, they definitely looked fabulous alright but I thought it was a hifi show where people came to listen and see if there's anything worth to warrant further listening at home. Say for example the Audio Note's system, the system was sounding a bit average however most of us here could tell that there's a big potential there and this for sure warranted further listening at home (for those who can afford it). Plus the AN was HEAVY too to move around!
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »
I would question the purpose of putting them in the showroom in the first place. Perhaps that just showed us that the manufacturer didn't really care about how they sounded because look was more important? The excuse that they're too big and heavy is not a good one, they are selling thousands of dollars worth of speakers, surely they could afford a crane or anything that helped to move them around?

A crane, lol, be serious now.  Do you know how long they had to set everything up?  Seriously, do you?  SGR had more gear at the show than anyone else, they didn't have the required time to set them all up optimally.  Personally I was dissapointed that they didn't sound their best.  The MT3FSL's sounded much better at the show than the Illuminators, but again that could just be my bias showing, I'm happy to admit that.  My dad (definitely not an audiophile) turned to me at the show and said, none of these systems sound as good as yours at home.  Now, I'm not trumpet blowing like a lot of audiophiles do (do a search, you will find many examples of it) I'm just pointing out how poor most of the systems at the show sounded.  Sure, I had my favourites at the show, but they were only comparatively good compared to the rest of the rabble.

The point of the show was to increase brand recognition and the show delivered on that front.  Most people (not all) are smart enough to realise that you are never going to get the best audio quality at an audio show.  It is a given.

Oh yeah, they definitely looked fabulous alright but I thought it was a hifi show where people came to listen and see if there's anything worth to warrant further listening at home. Say for example the Audio Note's system, the system was sounding a bit average however most of us here could tell that there's a big potential there and this for sure warranted further listening at home (for those who can afford it). Plus the AN was HEAVY too to move around!

The Audio Notes sounded very ordinary (like everything else at the show).  They were the most expensive system there ($500k +) and I thought they were very disappointing.  They only played safe audiophile music too.  Point being, how did you know they had potential if they sounded average?  I would suggest it was your bias suggesting they had potential.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
If a system can't even play simple music, why would you want it to play complex music? You can tell a system has the potential by listening to quality systems all the time so when you hear rubbish you almost certain can tell straight away that it's indeed rubbish.

Well at least I now know the AN distributor took his time seriously to do research about the room and tried to get his system to sound decent for the show and this tells me a lot that he's SERIOUS about getting a good sounding system. If I want to spend my money, I know which one I would choose.

Edit: The AN system worth $276,200, NOT $500k plus. Sorry for the off topic discussion, this is my last one about the hifi show.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:02:04 PM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
If a system can't even play simple music, why would you want it to play complex music? You can tell a system has the potential by listening to quality systems all the time so when you hear rubbish you almost certain can tell straight away that it's indeed rubbish.

Well at least I now know the AN distributor took his time seriously to do research about the room and tried to get his system to sound decent for the show and this tells me a lot that he's SERIOUS about getting a good sounding system. If I want to spend my money, I know which one I would choose.

Edit: sorry for the off topic discussion, this is my last one about the hifi show.

That doesn't make any sense at all.  On many fronts.  What are you talking about regarding simple music.  The AN room only played easy simple music yet it sounded poor.  What are you trying to say?

So the AN guy (a self proclaimed 'guru') did some advance research on the room and by your own admission it still sounded poor, yet you know it has potential, how can you say that? 

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 11:14:17 PM »

Andrews (ozmillsy) SGRs driven by a KD and marantz 94 Sounded great, very good indeed, in his old house, unfortuately he has moved, they need to be retuned to the new room.

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »
Andrews (ozmillsy) SGRs driven by a KD and marantz 94 Sounded great, very good indeed, in his old house, unfortuately he has moved, they need to be retuned to the new room.

Sorry, what needs retuning ?

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »

heard the amps at the show 10 amps to big speakers and msb running with them over 160k worth sounded like hifi (radio turned up)
no timbre,texture,colour bland and boring
terry you need a valve amp :P

I hear ya - loud and clear!  8) 

Lets see how my new SS beast sounds before I go to a valve power amp.

Recently, one of my tube suppliers were blowing out Svetlana SV572-160 directly heated triodes for $10 a pop.
These are a large, very powerful tube, but easy to drive and would do a nice 25W SET amp (1 tube).

I looked into it a bit deeper and the 572-160 is not really the right 572 for audio apps, too high Mu the lower Mu versions (572-3) are better.

Z

Offline kajak12

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »

My dad (definitely not an audiophile) turned to me at the show and said, none of these systems sound as good as yours at home.  

[/quote]
Lol your system with sb and integra oh i forgot room treatments solve the problems of sb and a intergra seriously drizt do you think people are just that stupid?????
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
Lol your system with sb and integra oh i forgot room treatments solve the problems of sb and a intergra seriously drizt do you think people are just that stupid?????

kajak at his finest.  You're a top bloke mate  :-X  

And you treat room modes by changing the binding posts on your sub(s), lol.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:14:14 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 01:06:40 AM »

kajak at his finest.  You're a top bloke mate  :-X 

And you treat room modes by changing the binding posts on your sub(s), lol.

I can't believe anyone takes you seriously, what a laugh.
Where did you get room modes from????
Try the resolution of timbre
Your young and still have a lot to learn

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »

I can't find the pearler I was referring to, I will have to dig deeper (if I can be arsed).

But I did find this beauty by you ;)

Quote from: andyr;436035
So how do you deal with (ie. compensate for) your room modes, kajak?

Regards,

Andy

Quote from: kajak12;436042
resistors,caps,valves i feed my speakers the right combination to suite my room

Quote from: andyr;436059
Mmmm, do you mean you are EQ ing with caps and resistors to tame your room modes (say 200Hz down)?

Please, give me the dimensions of your listening room and I will tell you what frequencies are emphasised and what are nulled.

Then, you can explain how, with "resistors and caps", you are compensating for these room modes.

But I agree with you on the topic that some people spend inordinate amounts on hifi gear and get an inadequate result! ;)  But that's got nothing to do with whether they are using DRC or not.

Regards,

Andy

Offline kajak12

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 01:57:31 AM »

I can't find the pearler I was referring to, I will have to dig deeper (if I can be arsed).

But I did find this beauty by you ;)

Quote from: andyr;436035
So how do you deal with (ie. compensate for) your room modes, kajak?

Regards,

Andy

Quote from: kajak12;436042
resistors,caps,valves i feed my speakers the right combination to suite my room

Quote from: andyr;436059
Mmmm, do you mean you are EQ ing with caps and resistors to tame your room modes (say 200Hz down)?

Please, give me the dimensions of your listening room and I will tell you what frequencies are emphasised and what are nulled.

Then, you can explain how, with "resistors and caps", you are compensating for these room modes.

But I agree with you on the topic that some people spend inordinate amounts on hifi gear and get an inadequate result! ;)  But that's got nothing to do with whether they are using DRC or not.

Regards,

Andy
Not beauty! most on this site do what i do tune their system to the room with no hoky poky mics and computers don't care about modes  your on the wrong forum buddy  we use ears

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2011, 02:00:56 AM »
Not beauty! most on this site do what i do tune their system to the room with no hoky poky mics and computers don't care about modes  your on the wrong forum buddy  we use ears

LOL.  That post is one for the fridge.  Gold Jerry, Gold.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2011, 02:26:10 AM »
Not beauty! most on this site do what i do tune their system to the room with no hoky poky mics and computers don't care about modes  your on the wrong forum buddy  we use ears

LOL.  That post is one for the fridge.  Gold Jerry, Gold.
Get a life drizt go back to sna you fit well in that forum blind leading the blind

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/29163-Stereonet-s-first-saint?p=639458#post639458
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:15:00 PM by ozmillsy »

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2011, 02:35:51 AM »
Get a life drizt go back to sna you fit well in that forum blind leading the blind

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/29163-Stereonet-s-first-saint?p=639458#post639458

You are the one coming out with the gold kajak.  I haven't said any of that crap, it was you.  All one needs to do is give you enough rope and you hang yourself.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:15:26 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
Come on Aaron , this is the KD forum , it's pretty obvious you are just stirring sh!t.
For once I agree with Mario :)
Listening with my ears :)

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
Come on Aaron , this is the KD forum , it's pretty obvious you are just stirring sh!t.
For once I agree with Mario :)

Mario is innocent in this  :o

Edit. .....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:35:25 PM by Drizt:) »