Author Topic: great amps on the web  (Read 83457 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: great amps on the web
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
Come on Aaron , this is the KD forum , it's pretty obvious you are just stirring sh!t.
For once I agree with Mario :)

Mario is innocent in this  :o

Edit. .....
Drizt first of all i will call a spade a spade when i hear a pair of sgr's speakers make music then i will write about it so far audiomarket place and the hifi show where ordinary.Also if i make a statement about ME amps i can they are average.After all its a forum which i can make such comments if you don't like it #### ### and leave your #### on sna.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:12:11 PM by ozmillsy »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Drizt:)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
if you don't like it #### ### and leave your #### on sna.

You're an absolute champ mate.  Bravo.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:07:24 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Hey  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Come on guys.
Kiss and make up. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Life is short. :o
Passion is good, extremism less so. :-X
Let's all agree to dissagree, it's easier that way. ;D ;D ;D ;D
V ;)
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »
Hey  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Come on guys.
Kiss and make up. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Life is short. :o
Passion is good, extremism less so. :-X
Let's all agree to dissagree, it's easier that way. ;D ;D ;D ;D
V ;)
With drizt the only way is to delete him,very known troll on audio forums always looking for trouble
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »
With drizt the only way is to delete him,very known troll on audio forums always looking for trouble

Just an audio appreciator that likes to search for the truth rather than believing everything that is written.  You do get very upset when people disagree with you Mario.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »

Just an audio appreciator that likes to search for the truth rather than believing everything that is written.  You do get very upset when people disagree with you Mario.
My last post to you about this matter read carefully so you understand........
If your looking for the truth you will not find it here most members believe in pixy dust eg:resistors,capacitors,transports,isolation feet,wires,chokes etc change the sound coming from the speakers.Not much really here for you to learn the truth and above all 99.99% is all subjective listening

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
Andrews (ozmillsy) SGRs driven by a KD and marantz 94 Sounded great, very good indeed, in his old house, unfortuately he has moved, they need to be retuned to the new room.

Sorry, what needs retuning ?
I've read many times on SNA that the biggest factor affecting the sound of a system is the room. 

Never really believed it.   But in moving house, and shifting the same gear to a very different room,  my system has gone from great,  to *okay*.   

I've been tweaking, tuning, measuring, shifting, etc, and it's starting to come together. 

Anyone who has heard my system in the new house, hasn't heard it at it's best - no way close.  But i'm not one to turn people away, if i think the system isnt 100%.  Things are starting to come together lately though. I've got the tiger by the tail in regards to the bass (i reckon), and the high freq's have also been tamed.  Not as magical as it was in the last place,  but getting there. I've been listening to the system all night, and am pretty happy.

It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
Andrews (ozmillsy) SGRs driven by a KD and marantz 94 Sounded great, very good indeed, in his old house, unfortuately he has moved, they need to be retuned to the new room.

I've read many times on SNA that the biggest factor affecting the sound of a system is the room. 

Never really believed it.   But in moving house, and shifting the same gear to a very different room,  my system has gone from great,  to *okay*.   

I've been tweaking, tuning, measuring, shifting, etc, and it's starting to come together. 

Anyone who has heard my system in the new house, hasn't heard it at it's best - no way close.  But i'm not one to turn people away, if i think the system isnt 100%.  Things are starting to come together lately though. I've got the tiger by the tail in regards to the bass (i reckon), and the high freq's have also been tamed.  Not as magical as it was in the last place,  but getting there. I've been listening to the system all night, and am pretty happy.

Good to hear you are getting sorted mate.  I know how a room can be a right royal pain in the arse and others can be magical, so I feel for you.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »
Good to hear you are getting sorted mate.  I know how a room can be a right royal pain in the arse and others can be magical, so I feel for you.
This is just standard setup process for any place.    We all go through it.    It took ages to get the system spot on in the last joint.  Hasn't been too bad this time.

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »
Good to hear you are getting sorted mate.  I know how a room can be a right royal pain in the arse and others can be magical, so I feel for you.
This is just standard setup process for any place.    We all go through it.    It took ages to get the system spot on in the last joint.  Hasn't been too bad this time.

Good to hear it is not too bad.  Some rooms are much worse than others though.  Only way to fix those rooms are with room treatments and / or EQ.

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2012, 04:02:18 AM »
I must admit that the statement Kajak makes that his electronic changes influences the acoustical output and thereby helps to solve ( partial) room acoustics is one I fully support.

By practical experience over the years (sorry all on the duch forum but with loads of pics) with changing my room completely for audio I have come to the conclusion that over those same years the effects of changing components as a whole or their parts can directly lead to changing/taking away (some) roomtreatments.

Okay lets not get into silly arguments about eg reflection points or the likes....they are there and deal with it, but for the rest I would not be surprised anymore about (un)expected acoustical effects......by changing eg a cd-transport.

For me I still have to come across an equalizer that does not rob me from my music...I rather live with a NOT ruler flat setup.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

Yes agree, a room does play a huge part in achieving a great musical performance, hence all the great venues for clasical recordings.  I remember having some SL600's which were in my heavily damped lounge, that's carpets, velvet curtains and lossy wallpaper; when I took them into the kitchen, hoolly sh!t batman, the whole sound changed quite dramatically with what appeared to be crisper rendition of the high range and tighter faster bass......................wooooo that was a BIG surprise and got me thinking about room acoustics.

The choice of amp driving the speaker is also a major contibutor and it does not just come down to power levels but damping, speed and clarity as well as all the other Hifi terms we all use, get the amp/speaker match wrong and its all over red rover.  Which brings me to the free field conditions, playing the hifi outdoors can make it sound very good indeed if you have either enough power or efficient speakers, think I have mentioned this before but until you have heard your speakers playing outdoors you have not heard them at their best! :P
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »

Never really believed it.   But in moving house, and shifting the same gear to a very different room,  my system has gone from great,  to *okay*.    

Anyone who has heard my system in the new house, hasn't heard it at it's best - no way close.  But i'm not one to turn people away, if i think the system isnt 100%.  Things are starting to come together lately though. I've got the tiger by the tail in regards to the bass (i reckon), and the high freq's have also been tamed.  Not as magical as it was in the last place,  but getting there. I've been listening to the system all night, and am pretty happy.

Yes agree, a room does play a huge part in achieving a great musical performance, hence all the great venues for clasical recordings.  I remember having some SL600's which were in my heavily damped lounge, that's carpets, velvet curtains and lossy wallpaper; when I took them into the kitchen, hoolly sh!t batman, the whole sound changed quite dramatically with what appeared to be crisper rendition of the high range and tighter faster bass......................wooooo that was a BIG surprise and got me thinking about room acoustics.

The choice of amp driving the speaker is also a major contibutor and it does not just come down to power levels but damping, speed and clarity as well as all the other Hifi terms we all use, get the amp/speaker match wrong and its all over red rover.  Which brings me to the free field conditions, playing the hifi outdoors can make it sound very good indeed if you have either enough power or efficient speakers, think I have mentioned this before but until you have heard your speakers playing outdoors you have not heard them at their best! :P
V
Our speakers playing outdoors. Yes that is interesting,  then you will really know, what is happening.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

For me I still have to come across an equalizer that does not rob me from my music...I rather live with a NOT ruler flat setup.
If you ever come across one please tell us i have the same experience regarding eq

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
 I remember having some SL600's which were in my heavily damped lounge, that's carpets, velvet curtains and lossy wallpaper; when I took them into the kitchen, hoolly sh!t batman, the whole sound changed quite dramatically with what appeared to be crisper rendition of the high range and tighter faster bass......................wooooo that was a BIG surprise and got me thinking about room acoustics.

That's interesting V.   I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said to me "you can't have enough room treatments" !

I was at a wedding recently, where I was seated at a table next to a muso. He was telling me about his recording studio he built in his home, spent over 100k on the room (not including equipment). Anyway, for his sidewalls he choose to use curtains made from a special acoustic dampening material.  He was pretty adamant that you can't use any old material from spotlight, as it's pot luck what frequencies they are blocking, and what they are letting through.  He used this special stuff that is engineered to trap a very wide band of frequencies.  Anyway, he wanted curtains so that he can close/open them depending on the genre of music he was playing/recording. He preferred to have the curtains open on acoustic recordings, as the recording would sound stale and dry if they were drawn and all reflections were trapped.  His view is, some room excitement was very healthy, as long as there isn't too much bass in the room.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:42:22 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »
Yes Osmilly...Bass is often the biggest problem hence floor to ceiling bass traps. I beleive in the live end / dead end approach but ceiling height and geometry make a huge difference, the higher being the better.  Exciting the room too much results in a nasty bright glarey sound which is easily checked with hand claps.  Placing the speakers so they are different distances from side walls but not the back wall can also help break up egitones and for those that do beleive in the differences cables etc make changing the gauge of the wires feeding the speakers can adjust the extension and bass weight / abundance. ::) ::)

I remember taking a particually heavy guage speaker wire to a HIFI show once, it totally threw the speakers out of balance making them too bass heavy where as with an amp that had high damping - results were very encouraging bringing the usual smug smile. :-X

Your Muso / recording eng is right, some recordings favour the additional reverberance of reflective surfaces but beleive me putting on a gig in a village hall with no absorbtion other than  a few bodies was an unmittigated diaster with reflective echo bouncing around worse than a ping pong ball,  no amount of equalisition could ameilorate this and I had to literally cut the axis of the room to break up the reflection into several sections rather than the main back / front one.  I also agree that the majority of equalisers corrupt the delicate nature of the music signal sort of like the decorilation of the D to A process - it never sounds quite right having been split into 31 bands! :o
V

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:06 AM »
it never sounds quite right having been split into 31 bands! :o

Sounds familiar....31 bands, been there done that, JUNK!  8)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »
They look like CAR equalisers so built down to a price with nasty op amps and cheap as chips components everywhere! :o :o :o :o :o
V

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »
Correct V! It was state of the art equalisers....20 YEARS AGO!  ;D

I wonder how advance the equalisers are nowadays  :P
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2012, 04:57:55 AM »
Very advanced...i had quite an expensive one..on loan..only for my hometheater sub. :o
BAD....Before and after was shocking...I will never ever say there is no music on 80 hz and down....that is unless you leave the equalizer in  :P