Author Topic: Leak Stereo 20 Modifications  (Read 24324 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 267
Re: Leak Stereo 20 Modifications
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
Do you mean Jensons, or Jupiter's?
You are right, It's Jupiter's, fixed it.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
The Jupiter Copper Foil 0.47uF 600VDC capacitors have been running for about 5 days and I can say these are one great sounding capacitor, one of the best out there. Upon comparing them to the best I have heard, (Duelund Copper Foil 0.47uF VSF the capacitor), they are very different, but very close in performance, each with its strengths, the Jupiter may be a little leaner, slightly brighter, and whiter, and do not have the duelunds lovely lower midrange on down bloom, weight and warmth, but they have a beautiful upper midrange clarity plus an all over sweetness and lack of distortion. Some audioheads will prefer the Jupiter's detailed smooth clean sweet character, but the final decision is always system dependence. A fine capacitor and with more run in time they can only improve.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:19:30 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline brenden

• Liked: 52
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
Hi Steve . This mirrors my experience even though I am  not directly comparing them in the same position .
    I am using the Jupiters as power supply bypasses and the duelunds in the output coupling .at the moment . Both are magic.There is a wonderful calmness and lack of  distortion  with the Jupiters without any loss of dynamics or resolution .
    For me the .01 as a bypass on the power supplies  and Duelund on the output is a match made in heaven , not to mention my other copper foil polystyrenes and pps caps in critical digital areas .They all   contribute  their bit toward incredible digital playback .
  At some stage I will do a direct comparison on the output with the Jupiters and another few top flight caps but for now I dont feel like I am missing  out on anything whatsoever .

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
Some new capacitors for the second Leak Stereo 20, these capacitors are not a red Wima clone. The brand is STLX. Ian will soon explain there claim to fame. I am now running them in.
I have changed back to the Jupiters copper foil, i need to put in a lot of miles before i comment on them. Getting this cheaper leak to the same standard as the duelund leak is proving to be a challenge. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:04:07 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
I have changed back to the Jupiters copper foil, i need to put in a lot of miles before i comment on them. Getting this cheaper leak to the same standard as the duelund leak is proving to be a challenge.
I have completely rebuilt this Leak in the last month i will post pictures soon. The bottom line seems to be, ONLY THE BEST WILL DO...........
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:17:29 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
Rebuilt this Second Leak Last Month, I really had too, because the second Leak 20, filled with B grade parts just did not have the same Magic as the main Leak, so it was just a case of put in what i had. Everything i installed was spare and i thought why leave 2 Watt resistors like Allen bradley, Shinkok, and old Andionote, and the even the new audionote models sitting unused in a box. I just measured and installed the right values and amazingly i ended up filling all the resistor places in the leak, but with no real tuning pattern just what fitted and to my real surprise the amp sounded superb, just goes to show that 2 watt quality resistors even randomly installed still work better as a hole than the 1 watt standard stuff. Then it was just a case of installing the worlds best capacitors Duelund VSF copper and a few well placed Solen PB 15uf capacitors, plus a partridge 8 Henry 200 ma choke. The sound now is really close to the full on leak stereo 20 but it is still a cheaper rebuild. But really i must say its not that cheap a rebuild anymore. One big problem is the Duelund VSF copper is so much better than anything out there, what does one do.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:08:39 PM by stevenvalve »