Author Topic: How to Build a killer Amp  (Read 115179 times)

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
Re: How to Build a killer Amp
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
Cool checked out the link Terry will order one in the next week or two.
Good to know that it is a decent unit...if Terry gets 18 months I should get about 18 years!

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks Terry

I will check it out.

I was thinking of getting one of these http://www.rhinotools.com.au/soldering-station/124-soldering-station-digital-48w.html

Cheers, Andy

Note the one I linked to is 60W. Whatever you get I recommend 60W it makes a big difference. This is also thermostatically controlled
and also has a 'sleep' mode.

cheers

Offline springcreek

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Yep will get the 60w version. Got a multimeter for Christmas, any other essentials that would be worth getting? Looking forward to sniffing some solder  ;D

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
Yep will get the 60w version. Got a multimeter for Christmas, any other essentials that would be worth getting? Looking forward to sniffing some solder  ;D

Third hand soldering station, solder sucker (Steven has a very good one, don't know where to get it though)....and an LCR meter if you're into chokes, caps and resistors, Jaycar got one, I bought it for $50 and came with a lifetime warranty  ;D

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »
Yep will get the 60w version. Got a multimeter for Christmas, any other essentials that would be worth getting? Looking forward to sniffing some solder  ;D

It's actually a hazard WRT heavy metal buildup in your body.  Those big spring loaded solder suckers are particularly bad as they atomise
tiny particles of lead.

My first choice is electrical de-soldering station, 2nd is solder wick, 3rd is the 'big gun'

I also try to eat plenty of corriander and do plenty of excercise.

http://drumweaver.hubpages.com/hub/cilantro-chelates

cheers

T

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
Yep will get the 60w version. Got a multimeter for Christmas, any other essentials that would be worth getting? Looking forward to sniffing some solder  ;D

It's actually a hazard WRT heavy metal buildup in your body.  Those big spring loaded solder suckers are particularly bad as they atomise
tiny particles of lead.

My first choice is electrical de-soldering station, 2nd is solder wick, 3rd is the 'big gun'

cheers

T

Wow, didn't know the hazard of solder sucker! Thanks again Terry, I'll exchange my solder sucker with solder wick or...could you recommend a good electrical de-soldering station?

Love coriander, so it'll be on my daily menu  ;D

Cheers,
William

Edit: looks like the Rhino desoldering station is good as suggested by gamve, expensive though, I'll probably go with the solder wick then...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:51:59 PM by Jehuty »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »

tiny particles of lead.

cheers

T

Thanks zenelectro being a welder a bit of lead is nothing :P
Try welding copper/nickel and measure the fumes :'( :'(
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »

I believe it's an accumulative thing and builds up over many years - so you don't want to end up like Beethoven do ya :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/05/AR2005120501937.html

They put a few locks of his hair in a particle accelerator and found out.

When they put my hair in the particle accelerator they will find high concentrations of carlsberg.  ;D

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

Wow, didn't know the hazard of solder sucker! Thanks again Terry, I'll exchange my solder sucker with solder wick or...could you recommend a good electrical de-soldering station?

Edit: looks like the Rhino desoldering station is good as suggested by gamve, expensive though, I'll probably go with the solder wick then...

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. I solder sometimes 12 hrs a day so that's a different matter.

The desoldering stations are much more finicky and prone to trouble. You have to clean them regularly and it's a
very messy business. The mob who sells my soldering iron also do a DS station for $100. But I'm on my third
now.

Offline springcreek

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
Thanks Terry point taken - nasty stuff - hopefully low exposure with the amount I'll do. Good to know though  ;D

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »

I believe it's an accumulative thing and builds up over many years - so you don't want to end up like Beethoven do ya :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/05/AR2005120501937.html

They put a few locks of his hair in a particle accelerator and found out.

When they put my hair in the particle accelerator they will find high concentrations of carlsberg.  ;D

Carlsberg, argggh....a man of taste. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline springcreek

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »
(Third hand soldering station, solder sucker (Steven has a very good one, don't know where to get it though)....and an LCR meter if you're into chokes, caps and resistors, Jaycar got one, I bought it for $50 and came with a lifetime warranty) 

Thanks William very useful. So to clarify an LCR meter measures more than what a typical multimeter does?

Yep, with you guys on the Carlsberg  ;D

Bugger now i can't stop thinking about beer  ;D

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »
Hi Andy, LCR meter measures inductance, capacitance and resistance, with normal multimeter you will be able to measure resistance but not inductance and capacitance :)

Offline springcreek

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »
Thanks William, I'll get one  ;D

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »
After quite a lenghty discussion with Pieter, I decided to put an order for a pair of his OPTs, spec: 2 SE output transformers HiB c-cores 3k5-5k/8-16R/100mA, potted 12x12cm, 6kg each, good enough to run 300B or PX25 if I need more watts.

It's a bit of gamble to order without listening but I hope the review on the net is not very wrong, otherwise Steven's Tamura F7001s will be gone before he knows it  ;D

The Tributes are here, celebrity death match tomorrow at Steven's, Tribute vs. Tamura and Steven's Bumblebee OPTs  :P

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
After quite a lenghty discussion with Pieter, I decided to put an order for a pair of his OPTs, spec: 2 SE output transformers HiB c-cores 3k5-5k/8-16R/100mA, potted 12x12cm, 6kg each, good enough to run 300B or PX25 if I need more watts.

It's a bit of gamble to order without listening but I hope the review on the net is not very wrong, otherwise Steven's Tamura F7001s will be gone before he knows it  ;D

The Tributes are here, celebrity death match tomorrow at Steven's, Tribute vs. Tamura and Steven's Bumblebee OPTs  :P

Good luck Wil. Hope your OP transformers sound as good as they look  :)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
Thanks Graham  :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »

I hope you win a prize jehunty a nos u52
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »
Hahaha....I don't really expect to win, to get a similar or close to the Bumblebee is good enough for me. Winning NOS U52?  :o Oh how I wish that is a possibility!

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2012, 01:18:07 AM »
Those transformers do look nice  8)