Author Topic: Taralab-X2-M USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S Converter Module  (Read 14649 times)

tuyen

Taralab-X2-M USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S Converter Module
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290509180148&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Taralab-X2-M USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S Converter Module ---- Native 24bit 96k support

Computer based audio source become more and more popular, not just for convenience but also its best sound performance. One well grabed sound track recorded in harddisk in lost-less format may be 'perfect' digital audio source. It will outperform any high price cd transports no matter how many money you invested in. That is why USB DACs become such a tough products in recent years. While you may already have very good high performace DAC in your audio system. This device can help you to convert your top end dac into best USB dac in seconds. This USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S converter is not a cost compromised nor a functional concession product.

Now a day, we can get many native 24bit 96k high resolution music on web which have the same sound quality to SACD or DVD Audio.  You can buy these high end record on following web.

While if you do not have 'right' usb to spdif converter or a 'right' usb dac, these high quality record is not meaningful. Almost 'all' usb to spdif/i2s converter on market do not support 24bit 96k spdif output. Some new products support 24bit 96k or even 192k spdif output but they are no 'Native' , they use upsamling technique to convert low 16bit 44.1k or 48k data to 24bit/96k or 192k. These upsampling digital audio device will not bring you real high quality music, but giving you more digital sound! You actually do not get realy 24bit 96k sound quality, becuase music siganl can not be de-novo gerenated from mathmatical algorithm

Real 24bit 96k recording sound very natural, vivid and analog, just like vinyl record from top end turntable. Many audiophiles search 'native 24bit 96k' converter for long time. Teralink-x2 is what you need and it is the only product sold in real world price.

Features of this USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S converter
1. TENOR TE7022L usb reciever chip, supporting native 24bit 96K digital output capability.
2. Precision 12.0 Mhz 1ppm TCXO serve as master clock for lowest jitter performance.
3. Build in on-board power rectifier by Vishay 1n5062 diodes, power filtering and voltage regulation.
4. BC 118 4700uf 25v capacitor for main power filtering.
5. BC 118 220uf 63v capacitor for regulated power output capacitor.
6. BC 036 22uf 63v capacitors for decoupling/bypass
7. LM350 based voltage regulator to get over 86db ripple suppression.
8. 74hc125a digital signal driver for I2S data output, allow long distance I2S signal transmission.
9. Power suply should offered by AC 9v/2A. 

This module use best parts and most dedicate circuit layout. You will not find 'any' USB to SPDIF/I2S product compatible to this module. And its sound performance can easily transfer your PC become best signal source.
This product was offered as finsished/tested module, not a kit form. You can use it directly.

Thinking about trying one.  Looks interesting :)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Taralab-X2-M USB to SPDIF/TOSLINK/I2S Converter Module
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Thinking about trying one.  Looks interesting :)

I saw this a little while ago,  and thought about it too.   It would be an easy addition to make to the KillerDac.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
FWIW - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290466510897&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT - the same thing - virtually the same price but all done up in a box (or $135 with a dedicated PSU)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
Yes good idea but have you seen the high ppppp pimp prices these stores want for downloads; 20 USD per track - 240 USD for an album!  That's extracting the michael a bit don't you think?  Unless you have a raid system or LTO type backup you could loose all your high priced downloads for ever.....................CD's positively seem good value in comparison.  What do you guys think?
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
Yes good idea but have you seen the high ppppp pimp prices these stores want for downloads; 20 USD per track - 240 USD for an album!  That's extracting the michael a bit don't you think?  Unless you have a raid system or LTO type backup you could loose all your high priced downloads for ever.....................CD's positively seem good value in comparison.  What do you guys think?
V
My library consists of flacs I've ripped from my own discs,   but I'd hate to do it all over again. I have some downloads, but not that much.   So I have a NAS with mirrored drives that are hot swappable, and I also replicate my library to a second nas.     Hard drives are ridiculously cheap now,  I picked up a 1tb drive before Xmas for $56.

Although I dont playback from my NAS library for critical listening,  I still rip everything to it,  and use it for casual listening (driven by my iphone for music selection, which is great for parties).
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

tuyen

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
I decided against buying one of these modules purely from reading some personal reviews of the unit hooked up to their dacs.

Info here -> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/166698-native-24bit-96k-usb-spdif-i2s-converter-module-dac.html

I'll paste the stuff here:

Some days ago I got this module from vintage_audio_lab (via ebay). I am testing it now with my DDDAC1543 Mkll over the I2S-Interface. As reference I have the native USB to I2S Interface from the DDDAC1543 USB Converter.
I use Amarra mini on a Mac mini, the Amarra/mac-native driver and the USB-cable from Aqvox.
The power for the Taralab-X2-M comes from an 12V-Accu and bypasses the rectifier diodes.
It seems to me that the Taralab-X2-M sounds not as good as the native interface, but the difference is not so big. It is quite difficult to compare these two interfaces, as I need to switch the cable and the I2S-Interface and to relaunch Amarra.

But with the origin 96K/24B wav file, the sound is more different, with more room and details and more air, than the same piece downsampled to 44K/16B (I use the voxengo r8brain PRO Full for the conversion) and listened with the native interface.
Unfortunately I have no possibility to compare it with ANOTHER 96K/24B-USB to I2S converter.
Be aware that this Interface does not support 88KHz!

Does anybody know another USB to I2S-Converter for 96K/24B?
Thank you.

and

Recently i bought their new generation USB to I2S converter. I connected it to computer with USB port. Then i connected the I2S output to my 8XTDA1541A dac, I am not satisfied at all. I know, this is so cheap but, before buying this i read the reviews and i thought this device will give me so good sound.

Too scared to try now!  ???  ???  :'(

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
Doede Douma's USB to I2S converter from Denmark.  Home page here -> http://www.dddac.de/

This unit has a bit more promising reviews from it's users..

tuyen

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
Here is a photo with the USB module connected to 5x DDDac TDA1543 modules (total of 60x TDA1543 running off batteries!) chips.

This dac is run on a pretty crazy system. Although those interconnects do look like a bit of a worry (imo!)!!

Offline davewantsmoore

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
Hah.  I thought I'd seen that board somewhere.

This teraklink X2-m is the USB board they're using in the PDX  (lenehan audio)

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »
I have had one of these (Teralink X2) to play with for a few weeks and it should be fully burned in by now.
It is a loan unit so no tinkering with insides, it has the external PSU and has been running from that.
There is an ASIO driver and control panel available for download for this unit and I have been using that.
The unit will default to 48KHz output SR and needs to be manually set to 16/44 via its control panel to avoid upsampling.
(which may have led to some of the negative feedback from users)
I am not much interested in hi res as I have mainly CD rips.
As an S/PDIF converter I found it fairly equivalent to an M-audio firewire 24/96 into the same 2 DACs (nothing of the Killer class) - a modded Beresford Caiman and a DIYParadise Monica2 much modded.
Neither were to the standard of my Marantz CDP as a transport through the same 2 DACs, though not terribly below.
It was better than the Beresford USB input (uses PCM2902) eg USB -> X2 -> S/PDIF -> Caiman was better than USB -> Caiman.
Changing the input board on the Monica to use i2s was a noticeable improvement over the S/PDIF from the same unit.
To the point where it was almost comparable or possibly equivalent to CDP transport with S/PDIF.
I listened to a lot of music through this over 3 or 4 weeks and while it is not "special" it is not awful and I have not felt badly deprived, though I am in need of a vinyl fix now :)
My system, my music, my ears - YMMV
It does provide buffering of the i2s signal which allows reasonable length leads to be used, and making up a patch cord from a Cat 5/6 cable not hard to do - the wiring can be checked from the wiring diagram printed on the case using a frequency capable DMM.
John Kenny is now offering a modded Hiface with i2s output but much more $$$, likely sounds better too.

Added a day later:
thought I had finished playing with this, but today had a brainstorm and plugged the PSU into my Black Box instead of the generic board it was plugged into and fitted a USB isolator device and NOW it IS rather good indeed through the i2s/Monica combination.  Think it might be time I did some serious re-organisation of my power leads and supplies and look at some DIY filters.  This is the third time recently I have had a similar experience of marked improvement through getting power leads away from SMPS jiggers which I rather suspect are putting grunge back into the mains.
Maybe I need a submarine battery :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:34:46 PM by audiophool »