Author Topic: Output caps  (Read 4649 times)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
Output caps
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »
Hi guy's looking to try some new caps in my pre and satch valve stage.
I was thinking of trying some Ampohm copper in oil to replace the 0.56uf Auricaps in the pre.The caps in the pre are connected to output transformers and I can only find 0.47uf in the Ampohm CO RANGE. Will the reduction in capacitance have much effect?
With the Satch valve stage the current caps are 2.2uf Obligatto special film.I have found some EFCO vintage paper in oil on the VT4C site but they are 3.3uf  , 400v , will these be ok to try?
Thanks in advance ,
Gordon
Listening with my ears :)

tuyen

Re: Output caps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
Hi G,

I would not recommend using lower cap values then what is in there stock. Best to look elsewhere or a different product range that does have the same(or slightly higher is okay) capacitance value.  Getting a higher voltage rated cap is recommended though ;)    But to answer your question if it will have much effect, I can't say!

I can't recommend enough the AmpOhm alu or tin pio caps. Has to be one of the best value caps I know of now.  I read on another thread you have some 2.2uF coming for your dac.  Great stuff ;)  Be interested to hear your impressions of how they compare to the Obligatos.

Trying the 3.3uF instead of the 2.2uF will be fine if they are used as output coupling caps (just before the output rcas).

Best,
Tuyen

Offline ozcal

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
Cheers T , ended up getting .68uf cu in oil Ampohm to try in the Supratek to replace the .56uf Auricaps.
Murray is still waiting for the caps to arrive so I may leave it till after the gtg to install the new caps.

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
I have just got home, and once again the courier has not been  :(.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »
Bloody courriers, they play toss the parcel, you can get stuff from Tiawan, Hong kong, Thailand all without being smashed in double quick time or you can pay pimp prices for the condesending slope shouldering bastards like #$T, etc.  I have given up buying in Oz as they do not honour insurance claims for their mess ups!  :o
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozcal

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
I have just got home, and once again the courier has not been  :(.
Bugger  ;D