Author Topic: Speaker cables  (Read 29374 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Speaker cables
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »
I get it from an ebay seller, he has even recently joined SNA, nice fellow that loves his tubes and owns one of Eric's amps.

I like this for hook-up and maybe ICs http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-24AWG-Blue-Teflon-/220867876913?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item336cc05831

And this might be good for speaker wire http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-20AWG-BLACK-Teflon-/220933770433?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item3370adccc1

He also carries a pure silver, but I don't want to offend Mario by linking that   :P

Just be careful not to mark the wire when cutting the Teflon insulator, as it can lead to the a brake in the wire.
ordered 24awg 2 meters
data your a bad man showing me this i have a weakness for wire the worst thing is you know i do and take advantage
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »
Mario, with yourself it was like shooting fish in a barrel   :D

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 01:28:35 AM »
I get it from an ebay seller, he has even recently joined SNA, nice fellow that loves his tubes and owns one of Eric's amps.

I like this for hook-up and maybe ICs http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-24AWG-Blue-Teflon-/220867876913?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item336cc05831

And this might be good for speaker wire http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Neotech-UPOCC-Solid-Core-7N-Copper-20AWG-BLACK-Teflon-/220933770433?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item3370adccc1

He also carries a pure silver, but I don't want to offend Mario by linking that   :P

Just be careful not to mark the wire when cutting the Teflon insulator, as it can lead to the a brake in the wire.
ordered 24awg 2 meters
data your a bad man showing me this i have a weakness for wire the worst thing is you know i do and take advantage

I might get some for my amp too, I hate stripping cat 5 cables, takes a lot of time and gotta be very careful not to scratch the copper inside.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 02:04:55 AM »

Or fishing with dynamite :) :)

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

ordered 24awg 2 meters

I might get some for my amp too, I hate stripping cat 5 cables, takes a lot of time and gotta be very careful not to scratch the copper inside.

2 things WRT Cat 5 (6)

a) a pig to strip nicely - better to just use PTFE sleeving b) I don't like to straighten the /\/\/\/\ out c) breaks easy

Thats 3 things 

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:19 AM »
So 3 things and my 2 pence worth it sounds sh!t against a proper cable designed for audio as opposed to networking being plated copper and not very pure. You try listening to it as interconnects and see how you go.

OK I am ducking.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline data

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 03:47:52 AM »
With this stuff, I found that the copper slides through the Teflon dielectric easily, so if you strip just a tiny bit of Teflon off, you can pull the copper through a bit then at the other end cut off the Teflon to size so that it exposes enough copper at either end when you slide the copper back.

That way you don't risk scoring the copper and risk a brake later.

If that makes sense.

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 04:18:41 AM »

ordered 24awg 2 meters

2 things WRT Cat 5 (6)

a) a pig to strip nicely - better to just use PTFE sleeving b) I don't like to straighten the /\/\/\/\ out c) breaks easy

Thats 3 things  

Completely agree Terry, that's why I need that Neotech wires.

So 3 things and my 2 pence worth it sounds sh!t against a proper cable designed for audio as opposed to networking being plated copper and not very pure. You try listening to it as interconnects and see how you go.

OK I am ducking.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
V

V, I agree that a proper cable designed for audio is the way to go but this sort of cable usually goes for a lot of money.

Two days ago I just listened to Merlin Dragon power cable (http://www.merlincables.com/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=dragonmains) and it was compared to Cat 5 based DIY power cables with hi quality Furutech plugs (total cost around $300). Was the Merlin better? Yes. Five times better? Definitely no, in fact it was pretty close and also the DIY cable was not fully burned in yet. Which one do I want to get now? The DIY for sure...while saving up for the Merlin  ;)

Cheers,
William

PS: I don't think cat 5 is plated copper. Could anyone confirm this?

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »

Vita which type of cat 5 (or 6) is plated? I have not seen this. WRT purity, TBH I think the whole purity thing is probably a bit of BS. AFAIK, -all- drawn copper wire is very pure,
as it has to be for the process.

But the crystal / size structure thing is more interesting as is annealing process.

Who has tried annealed copper interconnects / wire?   

OK I am ducking.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
V

quack quack

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
rj-45 connectors could be plated, but 99.99% (4N :P) sure that the conductors in cat5/6 are not plated

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=454816
Conductor Construction:   Solid Bare Copper

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=455122
Conductor Construction:   Bare Stranded Copper

Offline data

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »
I have seen a few different wire types used in cat5, plated and even aluminum.

Some stuff is crazy brittle to work with.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »
 ;D
V, I agree that a proper cable designed for audio is the way to go but this sort of cable usually goes for a lot of money.

Two days ago I just listened to Merlin Dragon power cable (http://www.merlincables.com/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=dragonmains) and it was compared to Cat 5 based DIY power cables with hi quality Furutech plugs (total cost around $300). Was the Merlin better? Yes. Five times better? Definitely no, in fact it was pretty close and also the DIY cable was not fully burned in yet. Which one do I want to get now? The DIY for sure...while saving up for the Merlin 

Yup, it's the laws of diminishing returns at play again.  Trying to get the last 10 or so % of performance unfortuneatley costs a lot.  There is no arguement from me regarding the price / performance of cat 5 /6 it delivers an OK sound for low bucks, but if you want the high resoloution 'musical' repro then CAT 5 will simply not do.  Mains cables are mostly about low resistance so plenty of CAT 5 cores will give this to you.  So I throw down the challenge, make up some CAT 5 interconnects and swap them for your shop bought 'dedicated interconects' and see which one's get consigned to the bin. ( Answers on the back of a 50 dollar bill to  xxxxxxxxx chez Vitavoxdude  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D).  Mr. T, some are plated, some not.  Yes process is fundementaly low in inpurities but the single crystal 7N's sound a fair bit better than the norm in a highly resolving system IMHO.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline data

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »
Well, I just hooked up my ML-1's with the 20awg Neotech (never used it for other than internal hookup till now) and straight off the bat the sound has less grain, not that I noticed said grain till using this stuff.

Usual disclaimer....my System, ears yada-yada.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
'Less grain' ha ha ha, yes that's apt.  700 feeet long crystals according to the blurb.
How many runs to each terminal?
Low resistance will flush out the low's more, oops LM-1's so no real deep lows anyway.  Have you tried the ML ribbon cables, a lot more expensive but they are very good.

Offline data

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »
Nah, haven't tried the Ribbontek cables, on a super low budget, so all I could manage is one run per terminal of the Neotech as it is  :-[

Listening to Cousin Mary by John Coltrane via my PC & DAC and it seems that's enough, double bass sounds fine :)

Might try two runs at some stage down the track just for curiosities sake.

Edit: Just to add, the sound is more open and effortless, everything sounds truer, I should have made cables with this wire a long time ago!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:24:46 PM by data »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
Fish is good data
neotech wire is fantastic clarity and smoothness also  the texture timbre of music i must say people should try it asap.
THANKS DATA  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »
Fish is good data
neotech wire is fantastic clarity and smoothness also  the texture timbre of music i must say people should try it asap.

For speaker cables? Or hook up wire?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »
Fish is good data

For speaker cables? Or hook up wire?
hook up wire

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
 ;)  So no takers on using cat 4, 5 or 6 as interconnect.  I have tried it and it's a NO from me, speaker cables in multiple runs are just OK, nothing more.
V

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
Mario,  what was the cable topology?   2 strands twisted?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.