Author Topic: Music room essentials  (Read 6765 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Music room essentials
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
Strange how no body has added to the earlier posting.  :o

The biggest single factor effecting your muisc replay system after the crappy AC mains and equipment supports (forgetting interconnects etc) is YOUR ROOM.  ::)

Put a 200 K AUD system into a batroom and viola, an instant crappy sound.  :'(
Put a Phillips mini system into a large vaulted ceiling balanced room and oh my God, it sounds reasonable.  :-[

Aussie rooms in general tend to be on the large size but they tend to be very reflective.
Surley other peoples experiances in achieving a good sound in these rooms is invaluable.
I am moving this link into a new one as I beleive you lot are short changing yourselves.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Music room essentials
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Hey V,  what is your room dimensions/shape?     It all starts there,  treatments are secondary.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
Here's the pic's of the of my rear wall music room.

These are the last of the acoustic panels I have left after removing all the others.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »
Hi Flemo

You removed al the others?  So did they destroy or detract from youe enjoying your music?  The panels in the image look very elegant, what are they filled with?
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi millsy   ;D

Room when completed will be 11 x 6 x 2.7m, not a golden ratio but real life.  It will be all orientated around audio so no compromises for domestic harmony, price however does come into it. Mains feed not ideal but I do not intend running multiple Krells in there.
V

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
Hi Flemo

You removed al the others?  So did they destroy or detract from youe enjoying your music?  The panels in the image look very elegant, what are they filled with?
V

Hi Terry,

I had too many panels and it killed the room, I mean it was lifeless!! 

I used Bradfords Soundscreen rockwool for the panels and bass traps. Very little is all that was needed.

Offline Paul Spencer

• Liked: 17
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46:45 AM »
Flemo, when they killed the room, how long did you leave them in the system for?

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
Paul, you need to know the room layout where the panels were installed to make any sense of the views of the owner.  It's a particularly unusual room where reflections are delayed by varying depths and widths, not a standard 4 walled room at all.  Panels were retained on the first reflector behind the listening position.  Maybe Flemo can chip in with a ground plan to explain his findings.

Acoustic absorption is usually a good thing IMV but the speaker room interface / matching is critical here in achieving a good balance.