Author Topic: Lampizator DAC  (Read 83304 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline wisnon

• Liked: 0
Re: Lampizator DAC
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2012, 05:46:36 AM »
Hey, they are offering free air fare, do you guys match that offer? LoL
Hehe.     :D

I'm suggesting the airfare is better used on themselves, as a marketing/PR exercise for the Lamp.

That my be, but if I were in Perth and had the time, I would jump on that offer. It would be fun!
Jump on a plane you will learn a lot i will demo for you just how bad relays are in a volume control or a power supply's not to mention of the shelf power switches the kdac has custom diy made power switches fitted.
Sure, just send me airfare from Europe to Oz and I will gladly oblige. LoL

The vol control is made of a step ladder of resistors, not relays. The feedback from the few users I know is extremely positive.

The owner of the Rowen brand here in CH has lectured me on the evils of relays in amps. Redgum audio also has a decent write up of the same.
http://diysoundlab.com/
relays would be used in the input selection circuit,hmmmmm nfg and the resistors most smd (sh!t) the board copper tracks very thin also no good imho good enough for some i guess high end ?????  
- Ultra-Precisionon low noise resistor attenuator utilizes latest technology Japanese resistors, designed for ultra-sensitive and medical equipment. Chosen after months of research, those low inductance surface mount resistors are better performers in high-end audio than other military grade resistors, unless your equipment supposed to work in burning fire or fly inside a missile, which really doesn’t require good audio reproduction... oh lucas we have very different hearing and experience

Who is Lucas? LoL

Lukasz the Lampi maker, did not design the VC, it is OEMed to him. He reckons it sounds better than DACT/Alps, etc. People who have actually heard it are extremely pleased. You are too trapped by DOGMA. I understand your aspiration to only using certain materials, etc, but do please leave yourself open to surprises. These people I refer to have years of experience in high end audio and they are very very very satisfied.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

I'm suggesting the airfare is better used on themselves, as a marketing/PR exercise for the Lamp.

That my be, but if I were in Perth and had the time, I would jump on that offer. It would be fun!
Jump on a plane you will learn a lot i will demo for you just how bad relays are in a volume control or a power supply's not to mention of the shelf power switches the kdac has custom diy made power switches fitted.

The vol control is made of a step ladder of resistors, not relays. The feedback from the few users I know is extremely positive.

The owner of the Rowen brand here in CH has lectured me on the evils of relays in amps. Redgum audio also has a decent write up of the same.
relays would be used in the input selection circuit,hmmmmm nfg and the resistors most smd (sh!t) the board copper tracks very thin also no good imho good enough for some i guess high end ?????  
- Ultra-Precisionon low noise resistor attenuator utilizes latest technology Japanese resistors, designed for ultra-sensitive and medical equipment. Chosen after months of research, those low inductance surface mount resistors are better performers in high-end audio than other military grade resistors, unless your equipment supposed to work in burning fire or fly inside a missile, which really doesn’t require good audio reproduction... oh lucas we have very different hearing and experience

Who is Lucas? LoL

Lukasz the Lampi maker, did not design the VC, it is OEMed to him. He reckons it sounds better than DACT/Alps, etc. People who have actually heard it are extremely pleased. You are too trapped by DOGMA. I understand your aspiration to only using certain materials, etc, but do please leave yourself open to surprises. These people I refer to have years of experience in high end audio and they are very very very satisfied.
I am not surprised it is better that the DACT and an Alps, The DACT with those surface mounted resistors is a poor sounding control, Alps are OK, but only as good as a cheapy can be.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »

I am not surprised it is better that the DACT and an Alps, The DACT with those surface mounted resistors is a poor sounding control, Alps are OK, but only as good as a cheapy can be.

You can actually get Tantalum SMT resistors but the problem seems endemic to the species and here is a pretty good explanation why

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1474&start=15#p38145

Apparently all SMT  resistors have a Nickel barrier and this is the poison.  Now think about how many SMT resistors are
used in recording gear these days  :'(

Z

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:51:46 PM by zenelectro »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

Who is Lucas? LoL

Did i ever state that lukasz (put a stroke half way through the L to get the correct polish alphabet spelling eg:Ł)
made this wonder of a input selector/volume control?????????????
I have heard many systems that are owned by have years of experience in high end audio but they sound average
if you would like examples i can supply for you as i dont give a £¥% who's toes i step on.I will give you an example melbourne hifi show  only the audionote system made music the rest are very good to crap
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:12:11 PM by ozmillsy »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
I am personnally not blown away with that volume control I even am very suspicious about the quality-vision of the designer when he offers a rotatingmotor next to it to control the thing.

My personal take on that is.... if you manage to get a maximum of only 2 resistors in the signal pad you are "homefree"
in a way that is in my opinion called "the least worse solution"...

Me and my audiobuddy had to work quite a while to make a Shallco based pot with nearly 200 Vishay resistors to achieve a 45 position volume control.

I have a picture posted in my homebuild topic.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »

My personal take on that is.... if you manage to get a maximum of only 2 resistors in the signal pad you are "homefree"
in a way that is in my opinion called "the least worse solution"...

Totally agree erik

Offline wisnon

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:58 PM »
Some more Lampi news:
I decided to offer to the customers some innovative ideas of mine, to enrich the LampizatOr portfolio. The special options are as follows:

1.DAC with two different tube topologies: in one common chassis and with common digital part, you can have SRPP configured output stage and Anode Follower (resistor loaded) triode stage on second pair of outputs.
2.DAC with two different tube systems: you can have octal outputs and noval outputs on two pairs of RCA’s. The octals will be based on 6SN7GT and novals on ECC81/82 tubes.
3.DAC with two identical but separated output pairs: same tubes but with identical second output for biamping or subwoofer.
4.DAC for tube rolling freaks: three systems in one DAC with 3 pairs of RCA’s: one for ecc8? tube types (81, 82, 83) and second for 182/7119 tubes and third for 6N6P, 6N1P, 6N2P, 6922, 6DJ8, Ecc88 and PCC88. This covers almost all popular novals in one DAC.
5.WiFi DAC which does not require any transport, just log it into the wifi in your home and play files from media server directly through the DAC. (contains a Squeezebox engine and Fikus DAC combined in one)
6.DAC with two chipsets: one is TDA1541A and second is my Fikus DAC with newest 32 bit DAC chip. Two stereo outputs to try them both. Separate optimized tube stages.

PRICES: prices are negotiable, depending on request. As a guidance 15% of list price will be added, depending on the Level of the DAC.

UK review:  http://hifipig.com/lampizator-dac-level-4-review/#more-1707

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:37:41 AM by wisnon »

Offline wisnon

« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »

wow wow free air fare how can this be done??????????????????????
easy simple answer the lampizator is struggling to make it in australia we are all aware of it and so are the people selling it that is why they are offering free air fare to take on a killer dac
Yosio bryan in melbourne has a kileer dac and some horns also take your lampi and run against his kdac, but be warned the kdac is only available in level 1 we haven't progressed to level 5 yet
My dac is not moveble as most parts are outside the box and it feeds on a marantz cd94 (zenclock) not some poxy computer audio modded sb

LOL, lets calm down Kajak. I am just surprise that our good gesture kind of upset you, sorry about that.

Lets face it, how can flying you down improve the sales of Lampizator? No matter how good you said it is, there will probably still no sales. On the side note, none of us survive by selling Lampizator, its just a side business - We do have full time job as well as other business and venture. HIFI is a hobby to me, product that I represent is what I think sounded good and unique and hope that by bringing in here, others will have a chance to listen to instead of buying blindly.

I know Bryan has a Killerdac, but he did told me that is not a full Killerdac, but of course I don't know how to qualify a full killerdac. If he like to have a listen to Lampizator on his system, I am more than happy to drop by and have a great session with some drinks together - but not otherwise - "Hi Brian, can I come down with Lampizator to compare and see which DAC wins?" - not interested!.

The point is, I am not interested carrying around a DAC to difference place and see who win. There will be no end to this sort of non-fruitful activity. Obviously, if someone interested to have a listen to Lampizator, we try our best to facilitate that. And at this point of time, we thought that having you over is cheaper and more productive.

Anyway to answer your question - NO, its not the modded SB, I just cant remember the transport name. It's a modded professional CD transport used in broadcast and studio industries.

I can fully understand if your DAC is not movable - no worries mate.

Cheers,
Jayden
I would be very interested in hearing the lamp DAC. If you can send me one to listen too, i will pay the postage here and back to you. I think i know its sound via the parts he uses, and it may just be my kind of sound.  The 6 people i know that  have heard one, seem very cool on it, but that means nothing to me, most do not ever listen to real live unamplified music anyway.

Here is a review with a focus on live unamped type music...

http://gpoint-audio.com/my-original-wigwam-review-of-lamizator-dac-4-repost/

Offline wisnon

« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
Especially for Kayak:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2012/05/lampizator-level-4-dac-test-review.html
 ;)
wow i must buy one but they are all sold out in australia until 2013

Offline wisnon

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »