Author Topic: Lampizator DAC  (Read 83300 times)

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
Reviews
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
The only review that really matters is your own.

It you dont try, you will never know.
I believe that good reviews with comparisons to competing products are important to most people, as most people cannot assemble all the products to compare at the same time in their system.  A few more technical specifications would be helpful.  I am not interested in spending several hundred dollars for a 7 day tryout, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:26:20 AM by gthicm »

Offline wisnon

Re: Lampizator DAC
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
Then perhaps you will never know what you are missing and that is OK too.

Offline gthicm

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
Then perhaps you will never know what you are missing and that is OK too.
I am more than willing to take that risk, at the moment and unless and until more real and meaningful information becomes available.

Offline wisnon

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
No problem GT.

You have put your points across in a civil way and I appreciate the discourse.

One last point. VT99 is just that. I dont know about the equivalents, but he has repeatedly told me that it is too difficult to get the NOS VT99 and not avaialable in commercial quantities for anything but a custom Level 5 job. He said he was checking other NOS tubes that may work even better and are much more readily available.

In any case, the new semi-active summator circuit effectively eliminates almost all tube sonic signature, so the choice of tubes becomes secondary. A good thing for him, because when he standardizes with fewer tube/chip variables, he is able to optimize the circuit in such a way as to avoid certain parts that impair the sound slightly. I dont know any more about the technicalities than that.

What I do know for a fact is that the Level 2 I bought in Oct 2010 sounded great and since the upgrade in July, it has taken a quantum leap in performance. That receiver chip (apparently a pain in the butt to work with) is da bomb! Details like never before.

I have no idea what make/model the DAC and the receiver chips are. He wont tell me and I dont blame him (recall that he has started a commercial business, even if its more of an audio boutique). It is his livelihood. This is nothing against his beloved DIY community. It is more about fear of cheap Chinese knock offs. They would try to duplicate parts with an vastly inferior implementation and then try to pass it off on Ebay as a Lampizator clone. We have all seen similar things happen.

I am not a techie and dont pretend to be. I am not affiliated with him either (he could not afford it anyway as a budding/struggling/optimistic entrepreneur). I am a customer who just admires what he has created and am willing do a little bit to help him get on his feet by spreading the word. It is great when we find people who push the envelope. I also am in contact with people who will make new speaker drivers (paradigm shift) and new open baffle DSP transducers and if when they are successfully developed, i probably will evangelize those too if they represent true breakthroughs. People can then make up their minds if they agree or not, but at least they will know.

If a giant tree falls in a big forest and nobody hears....did it happen....does it matter? LoL

Offline gthicm

Discourse
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
No problem GT.

You have put your points across in a civil way and I appreciate the discourse.

One last point. VT99 is just that. I dont know about the equivalents, but he has repeatedly told me that it is too difficult to get the NOS VT99 and not avaialable in commercial quantities for anything but a custom Level 5 job. He said he was checking other NOS tubes that may work even better and are much more readily available.

In any case, the new semi-active summator circuit effectively eliminates almost all tube sonic signature, so the choice of tubes becomes secondary. A good thing for him, because when he standardizes with fewer tube/chip variables, he is able to optimize the circuit in such a way as to avoid certain parts that impair the sound slightly. I dont know any more about the technicalities than that.

What I do know for a fact is that the Level 2 I bought in Oct 2010 sounded great and since the upgrade in July, it has taken a quantum leap in performance. That receiver chip (apparently a pain in the butt to work with) is da bomb! Details like never before.

I have no idea what make/model the DAC and the receiver chips are. He wont tell me and I dont blame him (recall that he has started a commercial business, even if its more of an audio boutique). It is his livelihood. This is nothing against his beloved DIY community. It is more about fear of cheap Chinese knock offs. They would try to duplicate parts with an vastly inferior implementation and then try to pass it off on Ebay as a Lampizator clone. We have all seen similar things happen.

I am not a techie and dont pretend to be. I am not affiliated with him either (he could not afford it anyway as a budding/struggling/optimistic entrepreneur). I am a customer who just admires what he has created and am willing do a little bit to help him get on his feet by spreading the word. It is great when we find people who push the envelope. I also am in contact with people who will make new speaker drivers (paradigm shift) and new open baffle DSP transducers and if when they are successfully developed, i probably will evangelize those too if they represent true breakthroughs. People can then make up their minds if they agree or not, but at least they will know.

If a giant tree falls in a big forest and nobody hears....did it happen....does it matter? LoL
Thanks, Winson for seeing I am just trying to put forth a differing point of view and not necessarily contrarian.  I understand where Lukasz is coming from and he through his many years of experimentation has more than earned the right to make points about his designs.  There is some marketing hype too, or puffing, which is the legal term for it.  I am ok with that, too.  I guess what sets off alarm bells is when people en masse get so worked up about this kind of stuff.  It is just stuff or junk, with some of it being better than others.  We all have our gurus and mentors, and it is just fine to support them and get the word out of something you feel is great.

I tend to be perhaps overly critical, but when it comes to a commercial product and claims made about it, fair challenge and question is certainly appropriate.  Nothing personal.  For example, I am a satisfied customer of Empirical Audio.  The owner, Steve Nugent, is also a great guy to deal with and certainly has a great deal of technical and practical know how.  He is basically a small proprietorship and probably smaller than Lampizator.  He also has a dac that has reviewed very well.  Personally, I would be willing to buy his dac on a leap of faith, given past experience.  There are not many other products I would buy that way, but that is me.  It is in part that he makes claims that are supported in technical terms and his products, at least to me, perform at or above what he says.

So enjoy the Lampizator.  I am sure that it is great and will give you much pleasure.

Offline wisnon

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »
Respects GT,

The reason why I am convinced that its not BS is that I get to talk with him fairly often and the convos are open and he tells me like it is, warts and all! Completely unfiltered, he cant help it, its his nature. Many conversations are simply two music lovers talking about gear that is configured better to reproduce what we all want to hear.

Maybe some language may have some puff, but he essentially is passionate about what he does and the results often amaze him...you can hear it in his voice. He is never satisfied and constantly is looking to push the envelope...not for commercial reasons, BUT TO SATISFY HIS OWN DESIRE TO OVERCOME BARRIERS.

Last thing is that he is NOT dogmatic. He is willing to try the crazy if it will give him the results he is after. That enhances his creativity enormously.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. LoL
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:29:34 AM by wisnon »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline wisnon

Offline kajak12

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
I have two serious remarks first in the review he states that the overall differences are not that great and later on he compares the differences between two dacs as one being transistors and the other as being tubes.....  :o

Than the remark of Fikus ....if you find the output voltage too high please use resistors.....now why does every other dac-builder know that you can kill your sound completely by changing the values in that particular area .......as much as from radiant to lifeless.....  :-X

Offline wisnon

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 01:18:16 AM »
New Lamp Dac reviews here:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/01/03/some-final-thoughts-on-the-lampizator-level-4-dac/

and here

http://www.theaudioeagle.com/columns/dac_comparison.html
reviews are worthless imho   bose gets great reviews where is a dac we can listen too??????????????

Downunder???

I guess from him:

Audio Salon Australia

email: richard <AT> audiosalon.com.au

Offline yoshio

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »

Downunder???

I guess from him:

Audio Salon Australia

Guys,

If anyone in Melbourne would like to have a listen, I can facilitate a session.

Cheers,

Offline Drizt:)

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »

Downunder???

I guess from him:

Audio Salon Australia

Guys,

Cheers,

I would just be a tire kicker but I'd love to have a listen some time if that is ok ?

Offline yoshio

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »

I would just be a tire kicker but I'd love to have a listen some time if that is ok ?

That is fine, no reason for me to reject you :)
By the way, what digital front you using now?

Jayden

Offline Drizt:)

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »

That is fine, no reason for me to reject you :)
By the way, what digital front you using now?

Jayden

You are going to laugh.....

SB Touch into my Integra DHC-9.9

Eventually I plan on adding a proper 2ch stack, I have been thinking of something like the GD Audio gear as they offer great value.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »

Downunder???

I guess from him:

Audio Salon Australia

Guys,

Cheers,
yosio melbourne is turning to the darkside vinyl city we need one in perth

Offline yoshio

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »

You are going to laugh.....

SB Touch into my Integra DHC-9.9

Eventually I plan on adding a proper 2ch stack, I have been thinking of something like the GD Audio gear as they offer great value.

Nah, no big deal, gotto start somewhere.

Where about you live? You can PM me if you want.

Jayden

Offline yoshio

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »

Hi Kajak,

How are you?

I was suppose to give you guys a session back then in Melbourne Audio show, but you guys not free :(

Offline kajak12

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »

Hi Kajak,

How are you?

I was suppose to give you guys a session back then in Melbourne Audio show, but you guys not free :(

how is kajak? in heaven a big box of duelunds arrived today ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yosio to get a proper feel of lampizator dac i need to have it on my system to get feel what it does in a system which i know like the back of my wifes arse.