Author Topic: My new amp  (Read 80215 times)

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
Re: My new amp
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »
Yes lots of new toys for a change  ;D For coupling caps I am using Russian K40y PIO. Not exactly Duelund, but rich and musical caps. Will upgrade to Duelund as my budget allows. Next issue though is getting rid of the Sovtek EL84s.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
The Leaks have arrived! Christmas came early this year!
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline springcreek

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
Very nice  8) That Santa is a very nice fellow  ;D

Enjoy they should make some really nice music.

Have you tried the Trebax units yet?

Cheers

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks. Yep, very nice Santa!  ;D

I listened to the Trebax on Steve's system a couple of weeks ago and surprise surprise I liked the Trebax the most. It was compared to Steve's Raven R1, my own Raven R1 (different diaphragm compared to Steve's) and Paul Hedalfa's Raven R2. The ribbons sounded metallic and didn't blend well with the Axiom 80 whereas the Trebax sounded much more natural without the annoying metallic sheen of the Raven's. I am still unconvinced about integrating tweeter/super tweeter with the Axiom 80. To me I like the Axiom 80 running by themselves. Much more coherent and musical. But that's just me  ;)

I bought some Russion K75 PIO (see http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380504713144) for my Leaks' coupling caps after reading some review on the net, see http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0411/capacitor2.htm, I hope they sound as good as your K40Y. If you would like to try my K75 I can send a quad for you, just let me know  :)

Cheers,
William

Offline springcreek

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »
Hi William

I'm glad the Trebax worked out well. I quite like horn tweeters and I suppose it's no surprise that Goodman's make a great one given how good the rest of their drivers are.

I have pretty mixed feelings about ribbons. My general experience models yours, thin and metallic. They don't move any air and can't usually portray body. Good enough for audiophiles but not music lovers. The exception was been Hedulfa's system. When I first heard it a few years ago the system was great in the mids with Goodman's drivers covering that region but the highs where the ribbons covered were thin, metallic and wiry. The big change came from adding additional ribbons (I think there is now 6 or 8 per side!) and adding the Decca Kelly's. Now they move air and have body...not just thin detail. Paul's is a very special system  8)

I know what you mean about running the Axiom's nude. I always prefer both Steven's and my own system run as a single driver. I really like coherence and crossovers tend to hurt the sound to some degree. They seem to mute the live feeling in music.

Be good to see what you think of the K75 PIO caps. Maybe you can bring your amp to the GTG down here next year  ;D

Cheers, Andy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:07:41 PM by springcreek »

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks. Yep, very nice Santa!  ;D

I listened to the Trebax on Steve's system a couple of weeks ago and surprise surprise I liked the Trebax the most. It was compared to Steve's Raven R1, my own Raven R1 (different diaphragm compared to Steve's) and Paul Hedalfa's Raven R2. The ribbons sounded metallic and didn't blend well with the Axiom 80 whereas the Trebax sounded much more natural without the annoying metallic sheen of the Raven's. I am still unconvinced about integrating tweeter/super tweeter with the Axiom 80. To me I like the Axiom 80 running by themselves. Much more coherent and musical. But that's just me  ;)

I bought some Russion K75 PIO (see http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380504713144) for my Leaks' coupling caps after reading some review on the net, see http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0411/capacitor2.htm, I hope they sound as good as your K40Y. If you would like to try my K75 I can send a quad for you, just let me know  :)

Cheers,
William

For a simple system the trebax would be the easist to work with. Ravens need more work....

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Goodmans would have had 'master tapes' as a reference for their work, never mind  computers and virtual setups, people with real ears not slide rule, oops wrong generation, mp3 players and sub woofers. :o  Yes there are more natural, accurate systems around but the old Goodman's sound glorious when fed a modern diet.  Valves are even better if you want true scale and explosive dynamics.   ;D

Ted Jordan (Goodmans development engineer) was another pioneer just like Peter Walker of QUAD (quality unit audio domestic) fame, both from the English school, similar work was done by Jim Lancing etc across the pond.  Vitavox is another brand that does real pretty well and then all the copy cats.  Of course Cinema's  were the main thrust of research took place in the 30's to 50's and the big WE and RCA setups will po po over all the modern stuff for tone, dynamics and palatable presence.  Unfortunately, most will never hear such rigs as they are now all in the hands of rich far East gentlemen or chez V  ;).. Field coils / horns / electrostatics AND Plasma tweeters rule, ha ha. Woops, and a Killer Dac fed by a good transport without which things can sound very ordinary and,,,,,,,,,master tape copies replayed back via decent R2R units!  Almost forgot the source is a major part of greatness in any system. ALL IMV, damn :-X.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »
Unfortunately, most will never hear such rigs as they are now all in the hands of rich far East gentlemen or chez

True but eventually youll hear some old stuff, my 1930s 807 RCA amps. 8) 8) 8)  I wouldn't be surprised they even exceed my expectations. Like the 205D valves all I can say is I hang my head in shame that some people lacking the modern facilities we take for granted so long ago can make things so superbly well. They had ears to really hear in an informed way... and built and tuned to what they heard.

My line stage is given a giant boost by really early RCA filament transformer. Agreed the sounds is so different, most people have no idea what its like. People always talk about thiele small, Jordans work pre dates this he had all worked out mathematically.  Tiele small made the info accessible, but they are not the sole originators of this. There is a reason goodmans are so good, its not chance. Its thoughtful and painstaking work. I just wish goodmans had kept better records so more could be known about them. If I could time travel I definitely visit goodmans in there heyday...

Goodmans would have had 'master tapes' as a reference for their work, never mind  computers and virtual setups, people with real ears not slide rule, oops wrong generation, mp3 players and sub woofers. :o  Yes there are more natural, accurate systems around but the old Goodman's sound glorious when fed a modern diet.  Valves are even better if you want true scale and explosive dynamics.   ;D

Ted Jordan (Goodmans development engineer) was another pioneer just like Peter Walker of QUAD (quality unit audio domestic) fame, both from the English school, similar work was done by Jim Lancing etc across the pond.  Vitavox is another brand that does real pretty well and then all the copy cats.  Of course Cinema's  were the main thrust of research took place in the 30's to 50's and the big WE and RCA setups will po po over all the modern stuff for tone, dynamics and palatable presence.  Unfortunately, most will never hear such rigs as they are now all in the hands of rich far East gentlemen or chez V  ;).. Field coils / horns / electrostatics AND Plasma tweeters rule, ha ha. Woops, and a Killer Dac fed by a good transport without which things can sound very ordinary and,,,,,,,,,master tape copies replayed back via decent R2R units!  Almost forgot the source is a major part of greatness in any system. ALL IMV, damn :-X.
V
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:51:01 AM by hedalfa »

Offline springcreek

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »
They are exceptional drivers and I've not heard better on voices...just so natural. Sure I haven't heard WE 555 FC in horns, or Klangfilm or GIP, but not much else I have heard comes close other than Shindo FC and Tannoy's are special. Nothing new has even been in the ballpark if you treasure what the Goodman's excel at.

Ted Jordan certainly new what he was doing, unlike modern designers. World's apart really.

I just wish I was having more success tuning my cabs. Sometimes they sound soo special and other times the bass isn't right. It certainly is a challenge...so darn close!

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
Let the mods begin!  ;D

I decided to start off with resistors and two tower power supply electrolytics. Only JJ electrolytics as my budget is limited, maybe next year for Jensen if I can be bothered. I got all tantalum resistors however, Shinkoh wherever possible, Audio Note to cover the rest. Cost me about $350, yep, just resistors>:(

When I get more money, I'll do the caps, i.e. Solens, Duelunds & Jensens.

Offline springcreek

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
Awesome William. Some very nice parts there  8)

The Leak can be a fraction lean (for me at least) so be careful with parts choices. I cant wait to get some Mullard EL84's which should help (currently using Australian miniwatt). I'm also thinking that down the track I might replace the power supply caps (currently Solen's) with some big vintage PIO caps to add additional liquidity and richness. That is likely to require a sub chasis to hold them as they are bloody huge  ;D Anyone have any thoughts on this???

Cheers, Andy

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks. I read from the Leak Yahoo Group that we can modify the power supply and replace the R21 resistor (the green one) with a choke (max 100R resistance). That is essentially turning the power supply into CLC instead of CRC, which can only be a good thing. The recommended choke is Lundahl LL1638, but if we want more liquidity I think vintage oil filled choke and PIO cap input would be the way to go. Once we change the R21 with a choke, we can reduce the first cap input (C13) from 32uF to...say 8uF PIO Dubilier. Problem with the power supply mod is space. So, yeah external power supply would be awesome  8)

Cheers,
William

PS: Check out the Freak Leak 20 pic attached. I don't want mind to look like that although I bet it sounds great with the choke and PIO cap.

Offline springcreek

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »
That is exactly what I want to do! Freak Leak...nice!

I hope to build a seperate chassis with CLC. I like the idea of reducing the size of the input can given the choke and the second PIO can be larger than the standard 32uF. Dubilier PIO would be perfect as would a lovely oil filled choke like a Gardner or something similar. Hedulfa has a surplus PIO cap the size of a brick that might be perfect for my task  8)

Offline springcreek

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
How about I build you a case when I build mine  8)

Problem with the power supply mod is space. So, yeah external power supply would be awesome 

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the offer, that's very nice of you.

However, I'd like to keep my Leak 20 small and simple. I will try to squeeze every bit of performance out of the Leak before I would consider external power supply.

I will follow your progress though, as I know it would be a massive upgrade once you get CLC power supply mod done  8)

Cheers,
William

Offline springcreek

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
No probs. Should be an interesting experiment. Hopefully one that produces some real magic.  8)

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
Hi Andy,

I decided to give the simple power supply mod as suggested by the Leak Yahoo group a go and ordered Panasonic electrolytic (http://www.partsconnexion.com/77651.html). God forbid Mario to see this cheapo electrolytic cap but I thought for a mere $3 I can't go too wrong there  8)

Cheers,
William

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »
When it's done it should look like the attached pic. Let's see what the fuss is all about.  8)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Hi Andy,

I decided to give the simple power supply mod as suggested by the Leak Yahoo group a go and ordered Panasonic electrolytic (http://www.partsconnexion.com/77651.html). God forbid Mario to see this cheapo electrolytic cap but I thought for a mere $3 I can't go too wrong there  8)

Cheers,
William
WTF i understand you bought a house and hifi must be on a budget
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »
LOL... Only temporary Mario, I would buy Jensen next time if the mod does work  ;)