Author Topic: My new amp  (Read 80238 times)

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
Re: My new amp
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Yep me too, that is my aim

Does the winner of the leak wars get a prize 8) 8)

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
Yes a free beer while I steal their amp.

King of Leakiness  :P

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
Meh..I"m not concerned about it. As long as I can get it to sound as good as Steve's I'll be happy  :)
Isn't that the purpose of the Leak wars.   Get them in a room, and compare them all,  1 after the other?

8)
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
Combined with the mild hum from the valve phono and high sensitivity speakers it is rather distracting.
Mate, that is a bit of a worry.   ::)   Hums are a bastard, and definitely it can be an accumulation effect.  Layers of hum, adding up.   ???

But the phono shouldn't hum mate.   My 834p tube phono doesn't hum.   Just because it's a tube phono, doesn't mean that mild hum is to be expected.    That's something to discuss with Duc,  he has higher sensitivity speakers than yours, and they don't hum at all with his phono (not that I noticed).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:50:21 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:37 PM »
I should add,  that certain interconnects have a tendency to pick up hums more than others (on my system).   

I was chasing hums on my system for ages.   In the end I ,,,,
- found and replaced some microphonic tubes in my m3
- replaced Aurealis Ic's with others I had on hand
- changed my eastern electric phono stage to 834p

I'm pretty good now, with those 3 things.     Worth playing around with the first 2 points.

The only issue I have left,  is a very small amount of transformer hum, when the radford has been running for 2+ hours (ear against driver detectable level).  Don't think I'll ever fix that.  But that's ok,  it's fine, given the other hum improvements.

I know your pain man.   :-\  ???  ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:57:39 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline springcreek

« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
Hey Oz

Thanks for the advice mate. Glad you got it under control, hope for me yet  ???

Yes a real bummer to have hum in both the Leak and phono. Duc said his phono has some residual hum, and if he adds bigger chokes and caps to eliminate it he loses the magic. I could probably live with just the hum from the phono, but combined with what the amp has in a bit too much.

I am hoping Paul can stick the Leak on the CRO and track it down.

I will try some different interconnects to see if that helps with the phono hum.

I have tried moving the phono, dressing the cables, using basic vibration isolation but nothing has worked so far.

Quite frustrating!  :(

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2014, 01:22:37 AM »
Isn't that the purpose of the Leak wars.   Get them in a room, and compare them all,  1 after the other?

8)
I hope none gets killed! I will only use lowly priced Hovland Musicaps, hard to win the war, especially without the expensive Duelunds VSF. It would be a different story if I could get the special pricing  :P
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2014, 03:29:45 AM »
Never know, the Hovland's may work well, might get some synergy happening with the right mix :)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
Never know, the Hovland's may work well, might get some synergy happening with the right mix :)

That's what I aim to do. At the moment my Leak's sounding thick and lost a bit of sweetness once I put some Solens PA in. I hope the Hovland can bring what was lost and smooth things out. All for learning purpose, I could have put the right Solen PB as always suggested by Steve but I want to learn  :)

Edit: Just realised the time of your post, insomniac? Just like me  ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:38:47 PM by Jehuty »

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »
If the guys who are spending big dollars on modifications to their components  (eg. duelund caps)  and (if being honest with themselves) can't hear much/any improvements, but yet proclaim otherwise, in my view, they are the only ones who are losing out, as it is their own money they are spending.

Why bother trying to 'catch them out' with asking to BT.    Focus and have fun on your own journey I say!  ;D

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
I had Hovlands Musicaps  in my old killerAmp (8x EL34) that Paul built.     Was really nice!     Preferred it over my mate's Kamp where Paul used Mundorf Supremes.    Bit more tonally sweeter and 'fuller'.   Prob not as 'airy'  as the mundorfs though, if that is your thing.

I had thought the Musicaps are discontinued a while ago and only recently Hovland started making new line called the SuperCaps?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_hovland_supercap.html

Offline springcreek

« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Blind testing will be banned at the Canberra GTG  8)

Will be nice to hear the difference in bits given the same topology. I am using Russian K40Y and Solen PB in mine. Maybe a mustard cap or two  ;D

Maybe these for those that can't hear the difference  :P

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
I had Hovlands Musicaps  in my old killerAmp (8x EL34) that Paul built.     Was really nice!     Preferred it over my mate's Kamp where Paul used Mundorf Supremes.    Bit more tonally sweeter and 'fuller'.   Prob not as 'airy'  as the mundorfs though, if that is your thing.

I had thought the Musicaps are discontinued a while ago and only recently Hovland started making new line called the SuperCaps?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_hovland_supercap.html

Thanks for sharing Tuyen. I have good hopes that the Musicap will sound good in my Leak  :)

Yes, the Musicaps were discontinued. Some retailers still have the new old stock so I bought a few from them. Not keen to try the SuperCaps because they're at least double the price and unknown quality.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
But the phono shouldn't hum mate.  Just because it's a tube phono, doesn't mean that mild hum is to be expected.    That's something to discuss with Duc,  he has higher sensitivity speakers than yours, and they don't hum at all with his phono (not that I noticed).

agree with Oz, also it's only an MM phono (iirc) so no overly sensitive. a slight amount of residual hum/noise isn't the end of the world, like you said sometimes trade-offs are made

It could be as simple as a ground loop, do you have a cheater plug or a way to lift the safety ground of one component?

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
Why bother trying to 'catch them out' with asking to BT.    Focus and have fun on your own journey I say!  ;D
Did you miss my [Jk] ?   :)    I agree with you.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
Blind testing will be banned at the Canberra GTG  8)

Will be nice to hear the difference in bits given the same topology. I am using Russian K40Y and Solen PB in mine. Maybe a mustard cap or two  ;D

Maybe these for those that can't hear the difference  :P

Yeah Andy, Now your talking. Order me a set  ;D

Offline springcreek

« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
D speak English man.  :P Is it safe to use cheater plugs, not that I no what one is? How does one lift the safety ground?

Offline springcreek

« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »
I'll ha've a set ready for you Graham  ;D

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »
That's what I aim to do. At the moment my Leak's sounding thick and lost a bit of sweetness once I put some Solens PA in. I hope the Hovland can bring what was lost and smooth things out. All for learning purpose, I could have put the right Solen PB as always suggested by Steve but I want to learn  :)

Edit: Just realised the time of your post, insomniac? Just like me  ;D
Yup, sleep is an ever elusive thing here, sucks it does :)

Damn, these Leak-wars should be a great time, will be an extremely interesting day for all  8)